LaunchBox Community Forums

Redream Emulation

InfinityFox

I want to add SEGA Dreamcast to my Launchbox setup and an looking to use redream.It doesn’t say on there website what file formats it supports just cdi, does anyone know.

I also have three more questions 

Best Dreamcast emulator to date?

I have all my games zipped to save space and know that there is an option to un zip roms. I wondered if that is selected will LB in zip all the files for a multi disk game before launching.

How does redream and other emulators deal with multi disk game

My games are zipped gdi with other files

Eg 

Grandia II (Disc1).7z

Grandia II (Disc1).7z

they don’t extract to folders just all the files, if that makes sense?

I just want to know how the games that are multi disk should be stored within the game folder. If they need to be unrated then so be it :)

Any help would be appreciated 

Just now, InfinityFox said:

What do I use to convert the gdi files to Chd ?

Cue_or_GDI_to_CHD.7z

Unzip those 2 files into your Dreamcast roms folder and run the bat, it will create a chd of all the games in a the folder, and will leave the originals as well for safety, once you are happy that the chd's work OK you can delete the old files, i believe that your games need to all be unzipped first though.

As for disc swapping i havent got that far into any games to see myself, but you can bring up the redream UI with the guide button, so im guessing you just pull that up and select the other disc. You would need to give redream your rompath in the UI so it can scan your games folder.

• Thanks 1

I just tested disc swapping by loading disc 2 of shenmue and starting a new game, it told me i need disc 1 for a new game so i simply pressed the guide button to open the UI and selected the 1st disc, which promptly loaded. So as long as the game saves before a disc change,which i assume it would it should be fine.

The  zipped Files include  a gdi file plus loads of track#.raw/bin files of different sizes. Is it safe to extract all the games into one directory mixing them all up together or should I be unzipping each to a folder before running those files you mention.

I did wonder though if the gdi acts like a cue file and has all of the relevant info of what files are associated with it and that the prg’s you’ve linked can sort it all out?

3 minutes ago, InfinityFox said:

The  zipped Files include  a gdi file plus loads of track#.raw/bin files of different sizes. Is it safe to extract all the games into one directory mixing them all up together or should I be unzipping each to a folder before running those files you mention.

I did wonder though if the gdi acts like a cue file and has all of the relevant info of what files are associated with it and that the prg’s you’ve linked can sort it all out?

The games will need to be in there own folder, just highlight them all and right click and 7zip and choose the "extact to"*\" that will unzip them to folders with the same name as the zip.

untitled.thumb.png.bdc0189ea9e872f79d58c92e20ca9aa0.pngYeah a .gdi is like a cue file, so that zip i gave you will just look in the folders at the .gdi, get the info for the tracks and such and compress it all into a CHD with the same name. It saves a lot of space and works in both redream and demul. I have 341 Dreamcast games and compressed them down to 135GB.

image.thumb.png.1f1940c747898d55a8b8be3b567d6c28.png

8 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Cue_or_GDI_to_CHD.7z

Unzip those 2 files into your Dreamcast roms folder and run the bat, it will create a chd of all the games in a the folder, and will leave the originals as well for safety, once you are happy that the chd's work OK you can delete the old files, i believe that your games need to all be unzipped first though.

As for disc swapping i havent got that far into any games to see myself, but you can bring up the redream UI with the guide button, so im guessing you just pull that up and select the other disc. You would need to give redream your rompath in the UI so it can scan your games folder.

Can you compress ISOs using this bat file/CHDMAN?

On 9/17/2018 at 12:11 AM, denzilla said:

Can you compress ISOs using this bat file/CHDMAN?

I’m no expert but I’d imagine not. I guess what you would have to do would be to extract the iso’s Contents to a folder. If you have a cue file or gdi files after extracting the iso then you can run the bat file included in the .7z file and it will work it’s magic. 

I must admit I’m very impressed with the compression of my Dreamcast games, so much so that I’ve converted my whole gdi collection to .chd.

well worth the time and effort if space is an issue on your drives

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2018 at 4:10 PM, neil9000 said:

Cue_or_GDI_to_CHD.7z

Hey neil9000, just wanted to drag this thread back to life to ask a related question to chdman... Is the bat file you linked just for Dreamcast conversion or can I use the bat and exe to convert any cue files to chd?

cheers

2 hours ago, InfinityFox said:

Hey neil9000, just wanted to drag this thread back to life to ask a related question to chdman... Is the bat file you linked just for Dreamcast conversion or can I use the bat and exe to convert any cue files to chd?

cheers

I've used the same bat to compress Playstation Bin/Cue to CHD and they seem to work fine.

Is there an equivalent bat to reverse them back to Bin/Cue?

11 hours ago, InfinityFox said:

cheers

It will work on any cue/bin files, i used it to do my ps1, mega cd etc, but you would need to make sure the emulator actually supports CHD.

9 hours ago, denzilla said:

Is there an equivalent bat to reverse them back to Bin/Cue?

Im sure that is certainly possible, (its just uncompressing back) but i dont have a bat for that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

It will work on any cue/bin files, i used it to do my ps1, mega cd etc, but you would need to make sure the emulator actually supports CHD.

Im sure that is certainly possible, (its just uncompressing back) but i dont have a bat for that.

I wondered if you knew what version of Chdman you linked to me the other day. I've been reading the latest version is v6 and that V1-5 is supported in Retroarch and some emulators only support earlier versions??

I'm curious about Mega CD, which I assume is the same as Sega CD? I asked about this in another post and wondered if you used chdman on the few multi disk games. I read a post from 2017 concerning Retroarch that you had to leave the multi disk games as is because multi disk chd's would not work.

I use Retroarch for most of the CD based (Older Systems)  If you got a similar setup I wondered if you have noticed any problems running games compressed to chd files for the following systems

PC Engine CD/TurboGrafx-CD, PC-FX, PlayStation, Sega Saturn

Cheers you've been a great help and made my hard drives happy ?