LaunchBox Community Forums

Different retroarch cores for the same console

SuperDoobyDo

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here so if I asked this in the wrong place please feel free to let me know (Also if you can post a link to the rule page that would be awesome. I can't seem to find it XD

My question, is there a way to set different Retroarch cores for the same console in Launchbox (without adding another Retroarch as a separate emulator)?

i.e.  Under NES launch Castlevania with the Nestopia core and Launch Castlevania 2 with the Snes9x core through Launchbox.

Thank you in advanced for your help!

Edited by SuperDoobyDo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperDoobyDo said:

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here so if I asked this in the wrong place please feel free to let me know (Also if you can post a link to the rule page that would be awesome. I can't seem to find it XD

My question, is there a way to set different Retroarch cores for the same console in Launchbox (without adding another Retroarch as a separate emulator)?

i.e.  Under NES launch Castlevania with the Nestopia core and Launch Castlevania 2 with the Snes9x core.

Thank you in advanced for your help!

You can simply go to Tools/Manage Emulators double click Retroarch and go to the associated platform tab, scroll to the bottom and just add another entry with the same system name but with the different core set, then you can right click a game go to launch with/retroarch/name of core. 

Like this.1923112144_Screenshot(73).thumb.png.18afb7f18a45c7f263c3df581dda22b4.pngAlternatively you can right click a game and go to edit then the emulation tab and check the box for command line and add the command for loading another core there and it will work for just that game.

21 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You can simply go to Tools/Manage Emulators double click Retroarch and go to the associated platform tab, scroll to the bottom and just add another entry with the same system name but with the different core set, then you can right click a game go to launch with/retroarch/name of core. 

Like this.1923112144_Screenshot(73).thumb.png.18afb7f18a45c7f263c3df581dda22b4.pngAlternatively you can right click a game and go to edit then the emulation tab and check the box for command line and add the command for loading another core there and it will work for just that game.

Thank you for your response :D but I seem to be a having a bit of trouble. I have added the extra entry but I do not get that option when right-clicking. I took a picture to make sure I did what you said correctly, is this what you for meant to do?

Screenshot (98).png

Edited by SuperDoobyDo

Yeah, all i did was add another "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" entry like you have in your image and i now get the choice of which core to use in the right click launch with menu. As you can see in this image i have highlighted my current entry, then you can see i have added a new one for snes9x at the bottom.

image.thumb.png.25a082443cbf8257e7af676b945d0c99.pngTry clicking to another platform first then coming back to it.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Actually looking at your image again i just noticed that you are using the old version of Launchbox, so old by the looks of it that it doesnt have the feature that im telling you to do in it. Sorry about that.

No way, I wouldn't have ever guessed that XD Thank you for being so helpful! My Launchbox has not updated since my license expired it tells me there are updates available but doesn't let me install them. Is there a way to manually install updates?

Sorry for asking you so much stuff dude.

Just now, SuperDoobyDo said:

No way, I wouldn't have ever guessed that XD Thank you for being so helpful! My Launchbox has not updated since my license expired it tells me there are updates available but doesn't let me install them. Is there a way to manually install updates?

Sorry for asking you so much stuff dude.

Unfortunately if your license has expired then no you cant install any updates. You can still do what you want to do but it will be a manual process per game, or the other easy way is what you said you didnt want to do in your first post and add a second retroarch, it can still use the same retroarch.exe just name it something like retroarch 2. Then you can hold ctrl and click on all the games you want to change and bulk edit them to the other emulator. This is all much simpler and optimized in the current versions and we have a whole new UI, the one you are using is now obsolete.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Unfortunately if your license has expired then no you cant install any updates. You can still do what you want to do but it will be a manual process per game, or the other easy way is what you said you didnt want to do in your first post and add a second retroarch, it can still use the same retroarch.exe just name it something like retroarch 2. Then you can hold ctrl and click on all the games you want to change and bulk edit them to the other emulator. This is all much simpler and optimized in the current versions and we have a whole new UI, the one you are using is now obsolete.

I think I will just shoot for the lifetime purchase instead Launchbox is a wonderful program and I use it constantly :P Thank you for all your help! 

• Like 1

in retroarch theirs a way to set specific games to play on specific cores also. i dont remmeber exactly the process though, something like open retroarch, open the core you want to play the game with, load the game, then bring up the menu and go to core overide or something.

then when launchbox tells retroarch to load the rom it will load the associated core with it.

38 minutes ago, putnamto said:

in retroarch theirs a way to set specific games to play on specific cores also. i dont remmeber exactly the process though, something like open retroarch, open the core you want to play the game with, load the game, then bring up the menu and go to core overide or something.

then when launchbox tells retroarch to load the rom it will load the associated core with it.

Thats not true, The game will always load with the core you specified in Launchbox. You can do what you are saying if you are just loading games from the retroarch UI, but not when loading from Launchbox. Launchbox is telling retroarch what core to load via the commandline when you start a game.

21 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Thats not true, The game will always load with the core you specified in Launchbox. You can do what you are saying if you are just loading games from the retroarch UI, but not when loading from Launchbox. Launchbox is telling retroarch what core to load via the commandline when you start a game.

Ah, thanks  for  the  clarification

• 1 month later...

I've looked everywhere but I cannot find info on how to set a standard Retroarch emulator for one single ROM (in this case, an N64 game using Retroarch loaded with Parallel64) that is different from the default Retroarch cores/emus (default N64 emu is Retroarch loaded with Mupen64).

I can right click -> "launch with" -> then choose one of the 2 but when I simply click "Play" to play the game, I would like to skip that step.

Massive karma and much thanks for any direction here! :)

For the game you want to use a different core by default right click the game and edit it, then go to the emulation tab and turn on "Use Custom Command-Line Parameters" and enter the following line:

-L "cores\parallel_n64_libretro.dll"

screenshot_11.thumb.jpg.9bc576a1ba2c8e4593eade7a00110ad5.jpgYou can do this for any game and any core, just go to your Retroarch\Cores folder and get the exact name of the core dll file you want and copy paste that in replacement of the core name in the command line parameter above. Make sure the command line is correct with the -L and quotes around cores\ and the core file. If all that isn't there or is spelled wrong it won't work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to necro, but if there is an option to "open with" a different core then why isn't there an option to remember this choice? I really dislike having to change menu options in BigBox and prefer to get all the messy details sorted out ahead of time. Plus, maybe a few months down the road I forget exactly what core is best for which game. Kinda a headache. I get that you can add command lines to launch, but if Launchbox is aware of the cores and lets you select specific ones, then why rely on users to type in specific command lines? I hope this doesn't come across as hypercritical. I love launchbox and bigbox but I'm just confused that multi-core setups are not handled in a more clean way, especially given how particular compatibility can be for individual games.

• 5 months later...
On 7/31/2021 at 10:10 AM, Lordmonkus said:

What you want to do is setup a 2nd Retroarch emulator entry in LB and call it something different, Setup the different platforms with different cores and then for each game you want to use the alternate cores just select the 2nd RA emulator.

This worked for me. Just called my entry "Retroarch Hotfix" and use it for games, that don´t work with my preferred emulator. That way you can also mount alternate game versions / translations / hacks with ease, since these can cause problems most likely.

Edited by totoro
typo
  • Like 1