LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox crashed wehen searchig for new roms

MikeDeltaHH

Hello!

Yesterday Launchbox crashed and reported the launchbox.xml was corrupt - the Backup Option is enabled but i can´t see any launchbox.xml in the backup folder - so i have to delete the corrupt xml and Launchbox create a new one - but when i now search for new ROM a error message appears and Launchbox end, need help please...

Regards!

Mike

error.jpg

Edited by MikeDeltaHH

7 hours ago, MikeDeltaHH said:

Hello!

Yesterday Launchbox crashed and reported the launchbox.xml was corrupt - the Backup Option is enabled but i can´t see any launchbox.xml in the backup folder - so i have to delete the corrupt xml and Launchbox create a new one - but when i now search for new ROM a error message appears and Launchbox end, need help please...

Regards!

Mike

error.jpg

31 minutes ago, Nabizzles said:

Mine is doing this, too. 

Every time I go to add ROMs as files, it crashes like this. 

When I add ROM's using the directory option - it works. 

I need the file option working again... I'm running 8/7 Beta, I think.

This is a known issue with Windows 10 insider builds, Microsoft is changing the way Explorer works and they clearly have some bugs. For the time being you can simply drag and drop the files onto Launchbox and it will start the import wizard as normal.

Thanks for answer, but i think the reason for my problem is an other - i haven´t a Windows 10 insider build and import new roms with the directory option doesn´t work also - when i start this Launchbox shows me the same error message (see picture) and chrashed... all this problems occured since yesterday Launchbox reported an corrupted launchbox.xml... the backup option is enabled and i can find many xml files in the backup directory, but no launchbox.xml... so is there any option to repair Launchbox without a complete new installation? I have a license and cannot use Launchbox properly at the moment... i wonder where is the system.xml the error message shows... cannot find these xml in my Launchbox installation!

fehler.jpg

Edited by MikeDeltaHH

10 minutes ago, MikeDeltaHH said:

Thanks for answer, but i think the reason for my problem is an other - i haven´t a Windows 10 insider build and import new roms with the directory option doesn´t work also - when i start this Launchbox shows me the same error message (see picture) and chrashed... all this problems occured since yesterday Launchbox reported an corrupted launchbox.xml... the backup option is enabled and i can find many xml files in the backup directory, but no launchbox.xml... so is there any option to repair Launchbox without a complete new installation? I have a license and cannot use Launchbox properly at the moment... i wonder where is the system.xml the error message shows... cannot find these xml in my Launchbox installation!

fehler.jpg

Yeah that is not a error i have seen before so Jason will have to advise there, i tagged him in my previous post so when he is around he will see it. I originally thought you were both having the same issue as they are both in the same thread, @Nabizzles issue is a different one and is caused by the Insider builds, myself and another moderator have both seen that issue ourselves. Your issue is unrelated to that and as i say not one i have seen before, its not actually saying one of your .xml files is corrupted as far as i can see, it looks like a deeper issue to this code noob. :)  Also it isnt specifically saying Launchbox.xml as that doesn't exist, it used to a long time ago but hasn't for a long time, so Launchbox should never be looking for that file at this point.

You can try re-installing over the top of your current install. Just go to your Launchbox/Updates folder and either re-install the latest beta or the latest official release directly over the top of your current install. I cant say as to wether this will fix your issue as i dont understand what is currently causing the issue, but re-installing over the top wont harm anything.

LaunchBox.xml used to be used for all data, but it was separated out into the various XML files a long time ago. I wasn't aware that there was an error message that still referred to LaunchBox.xml. Anyways, what platform are you trying to add ROMs to?

If you can zip up and PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder, I can take a look to see what might be going on.

4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

You can try re-installing over the top of your current install. Just go to your Launchbox/Updates folder and either re-install the latest beta or the latest official release directly over the top of your current install. I cant say as to wether this will fix your issue as i dont understand what is currently causing the issue, but re-installing over the top wont harm anything.

I´ll try this yesterday without luck, same problem!

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

LaunchBox.xml used to be used for all data, but it was separated out into the various XML files a long time ago. I wasn't aware that there was an error message that still referred to LaunchBox.xml. Anyways, what platform are you trying to add ROMs to?

If you can zip up and PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder, I can take a look to see what might be going on.

The problem occurs on all platforms, test some and the error is on all the same! Will zip my data folder and send you a pm!

Just now, Jason Carr said:

You mean to reimport? Yeah, that should work fine. You can also just keep your games and re-run the import process and it will skip any games that already exist.

No, i mean a fresh Launchbox installation - i cannot reimport or scan for new roms or something, it will be crash anytime...

LaunchBox 8.8-beta-2 running on Windows 10

Error: 

Visual Styles-related operation resulted in an error because visual styles are currently disabled in the client area.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.8-beta-2
Type:    System.InvalidOperationException
Site:    Boolean IsCombinationDefined(System.String, Int32)
Source:  System.Windows.Forms

at System.Windows.Forms.VisualStyles.VisualStyleRenderer.IsCombinationDefined(String className, Int32 part)
   at System.Windows.Forms.VisualStyles.VisualStyleRenderer.SetParameters(String className, Int32 part, Int32 state)
   at AeroWizard.ThemedTableLayoutPanel.Form_LostFocus(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnDeactivate(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_Active(Boolean value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmActivate(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

5:46:22 PM Music.Prepare Start
   5:46:22 PM Music.Kill Start
   5:46:22 PM Music.Kill Finished
   5:46:22 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   5:46:22 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke WPF
   5:47:29 PM Music.Prepare Start
   5:47:29 PM Music.Kill Start
   5:47:29 PM Music.Kill Finished
   5:47:29 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   5:47:29 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke WPF
   5:48:07 PM Exception

Screenshot:

image.thumb.png.95e9cabe284000c8a708600324a42314.png

6 minutes ago, Nabizzles said:

LaunchBox 8.8-beta-2 running on Windows 10

Error: 

Visual Styles-related operation resulted in an error because visual styles are currently disabled in the client area.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.8-beta-2
Type:    System.InvalidOperationException
Site:    Boolean IsCombinationDefined(System.String, Int32)
Source:  System.Windows.Forms

at System.Windows.Forms.VisualStyles.VisualStyleRenderer.IsCombinationDefined(String className, Int32 part)
   at System.Windows.Forms.VisualStyles.VisualStyleRenderer.SetParameters(String className, Int32 part, Int32 state)
   at AeroWizard.ThemedTableLayoutPanel.Form_LostFocus(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnDeactivate(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_Active(Boolean value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmActivate(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

5:46:22 PM Music.Prepare Start
   5:46:22 PM Music.Kill Start
   5:46:22 PM Music.Kill Finished
   5:46:22 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   5:46:22 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke WPF
   5:47:29 PM Music.Prepare Start
   5:47:29 PM Music.Kill Start
   5:47:29 PM Music.Kill Finished
   5:47:29 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   5:47:29 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke WPF
   5:48:07 PM Exception

Screenshot:

image.thumb.png.95e9cabe284000c8a708600324a42314.png

As i said to you further up in this thread this particular issue is related to Windows. You can just drag and drop the files onto Launchbox and they will import fine, but the way explorer works is changing and Microsoft have some bugs with opening file systems it seems. Drag and drop works just fine though.

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Odd. Okay, well things seem to be working just fine for me when I use your same data, so it appears that the issue is not with the data. Maybe try backing up your data folder, reinstalling fresh, and putting it back?

After a fresh installation, restoring the Emulators.xml (was the most work to configure the emulators so it´s good that i don´t need to do this again) the problem is gone. As a consequence i will do complete backups of all launchbox folders to my NAS when i edit the configuration. Thanks for help, great piece of software!

• Like 1