LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME - Xbox Controller Config (ctrlr file)

Buddy Dacote

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a problem with my usb gamepad. I am using mame4droid on orange pi working android on it. 

when i connect usb gamepad, mame autodetects it. But when right analog stick's left or right, it also clicks right buttons respectively, at the same time. 

i also tried mapping in the game, when i tried to set left or right, left and button triggers  as well.

thanks

• 1 year later...
On 10/4/2018 at 2:24 PM, Buddy Dacote said:

I will try my best to keep this short and sweet, but I got the most recent mame  installed and setup and running. I am using this with Bigbox to play on my living room TV, and was wanting to find a quick pre-made XBOX controller config file to get me up and rolling quickly. I know about setting up controls from the General Input and Machine Input, but was hoping to get something that would take care of most of the basic setups for me (trying to work smarter not harder with this). 

I already found this post at arcadecontrols.com downloaded both the original version from AldousHxlE as well as the revised version from Kinks. Placed the .cfg files in the ctrlr folder, and added the name to the mame.ini file ( I tried both versions). Only thing is when I go back to check the General Inputs in MAME, all I see are keyboard commands. No joystick commands. I'm using a wireless XBOX One Controller and checking the cfg folder my default.ini file is still in its original state since installation.

Am I missing a step or does the most recent MAME version not support this setup anymore? Am I correct to assume that if the ctrlr file worked properly I should see joystick commands on the proper controller input fields?

This is a old post but , I know exactly what your talking  about, and there are people here who should but are just making life tough for you for whatever reason or not.  If they don't know I will explain it better for them so you don't have to.  What he is asking for , is does anyone have a copy of their controller setup for mame for different controllers?  What does that mean? The file that is created after you manually go into settings and setup every button for every controller.  He knows how to go in and change the buttons , what hes asking is does anyone have a file he can just place into his ctrlr folder in mame so he doesnt have to sit through and figure out what button1 on the xbox controller is ?  Should he set button one to X?  what number should he set the right trigger to?  He knows he can go in and figure it out trial by error, but is asking if someone could be helpful and if they have a xbox controller, can they just upload your settings file, so he can download it and just drop it into his folder because the files he already has isn't working.  Anyone who has created a setting for a xbox controller , go to your mame directory , open the ctrlr folder and you will see a list of controllers that come automatically.  If you created a setup file please just attatch it to your post so he can try and use it. 

Buddy Dacote, sorry for your trouble, also don't this forum is usually very helpful.  Some people just prefer to pretend like your the problem instead of answering your question.  I personally use a tank stick, I dont have a xbox controller but i think i explained it enough to where anyone here who is using a xbox controller should have no problem uploading their controller file for you.  I did attach a tank stick controller file for anyone who has a tank stick and wants their setup file so they dont have to set it up themselves.  Mame comes with one, but X-arcade has their own they say to use over the one that comes with mame, so that one im attaching here for whoever uses a tank stick with their mame setup.  Hopefully someone who has a xbox controller can upload their file as well.  its only a 6kb file.  Have you tried opening up the custom files you downloaded , and just copying and pasting their settings into a new file?  Maybe there is something in their file that is wrong so its not working. 

X-Arcade.cfg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jtravapd said:

This is a old post but , I know exactly what your talking  about, and there are people here who should but are just making life tough for you for whatever reason or not.  If they don't know I will explain it better for them so you don't have to.  What he is asking for , is does anyone have a copy of their controller setup for mame for different controllers?  What does that mean? The file that is created after you manually go into settings and setup every button for every controller.  He knows how to go in and change the buttons , what hes asking is does anyone have a file he can just place into his ctrlr folder in mame so he doesnt have to sit through and figure out what button1 on the xbox controller is ?  Should he set button one to X?  what number should he set the right trigger to?  He knows he can go in and figure it out trial by error, but is asking if someone could be helpful and if they have a xbox controller, can they just upload your settings file, so he can download it and just drop it into his folder because the files he already has isn't working.  Anyone who has created a setting for a xbox controller , go to your mame directory , open the ctrlr folder and you will see a list of controllers that come automatically.  If you created a setup file please just attatch it to your post so he can try and use it. 

Buddy Dacote, sorry for your trouble, also don't this forum is usually very helpful.  Some people just prefer to pretend like your the problem instead of answering your question.  I personally use a tank stick, I dont have a xbox controller but i think i explained it enough to where anyone here who is using a xbox controller should have no problem uploading their controller file for you.  I did attach a tank stick controller file for anyone who has a tank stick and wants their setup file so they dont have to set it up themselves.  Mame comes with one, but X-arcade has their own they say to use over the one that comes with mame, so that one im attaching here for whoever uses a tank stick with their mame setup.  Hopefully someone who has a xbox controller can upload their file as well.  its only a 6kb file.  Have you tried opening up the custom files you downloaded , and just copying and pasting their settings into a new file?  Maybe there is something in their file that is wrong so its not working. 

X-Arcade.cfg 6.09 kB · 0 downloads

I understood it, and it makes sense.  I would only suggest making your own general controls version yourself, because maybe you don't want your buttons like I have set them up?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 12:46 PM, damageinc86 said:

I understood it, and it makes sense.  I would only suggest making your own general controls version yourself, because maybe you don't want your buttons like I have set them up?

I didnt need help, I was just wording the original posters question better so people could understand better what he was asking for.  While yes some people may want some weird button setup thats not what the original poster was asking for.  He was asking for a normal xbox 360 controller setup.  This will come in handy if for instance you didn't know what button 1 and button 2 are on the xbox controller?  the xbox controller has only letters.  So i totally understand what the original poster was asking for.  It takes alot of guess work to figure out do i make button x = 1 , y = 2, a= 3, b = 4 or whatever .  This is where someone uploading their setup would help a whole lot.  thats why i uploaded my tank stick file, because its better then the stock one that comes with mame.  And its much easier to just drag and drop my tank stick file then try and set up a trackball, two players, and two pinball setups.

6 hours ago, jtravapd said:

I didnt need help, I was just wording the original posters question better so people could understand better what he was asking for.  While yes some people may want some weird button setup thats not what the original poster was asking for.  He was asking for a normal xbox 360 controller setup.  This will come in handy if for instance you didn't know what button 1 and button 2 are on the xbox controller?  the xbox controller has only letters.  So i totally understand what the original poster was asking for.  It takes alot of guess work to figure out do i make button x = 1 , y = 2, a= 3, b = 4 or whatever .  This is where someone uploading their setup would help a whole lot.  thats why i uploaded my tank stick file, because its better then the stock one that comes with mame.  And its much easier to just drag and drop my tank stick file then try and set up a trackball, two players, and two pinball setups.

agreed.