LaunchBox Community Forums

Altirra headache!!

ModerateNOOB

Hi guys.

It seems that my problems emulating the Atari 5200 never comes to an end, Now i'm having a problem with Altirra that i simply can't wrap my head around.

Yesterday i spend some time learning how to boot the rom "Beamrider" from Altirra without having to select the mapper each time, I selected the save firmware/save cartridge to set the header of a raw dump (Beamrider), And everything seemed fine.

But today when i boot it Altirra only shows a gray screen with sounds of the game playing, The only way i can get the game screen back is by selecting "enable debugger" ??? Altirra also asks to select the mapper again??.

Also tried to delete the game and find a different rom, But after saving it in Altirra i still get the gray screen and asked to select mapper.

Edited by ModerateNOOB

Okay, Thank's for the head up.

I already have the newest version version of kat5200, But i don't have the newest version of Altirra, And It sounds like it has some interesting new features. If the improvements works as intended it could very well be my primary choice for 5200 emulation (Easier than having 5 different).

Yes!! they certainly all have their quirks and the info about 5200 emulation is so sparse that it takes ages to set them up properly, There are only 1 emulator i simply can't figure out how to boot, And that is Atari i800win+, I can run the i800 core, But the i800win+ simply refuses to accept the bios roms.

Talking about issues with controllers, Do you know how to configure Asteroids to an analog stick?, The ship behaves very oddly and often chooses it's own actions (I love that game)

18 minutes ago, ModerateNOOB said:

Do you know how to configure Asteroids to an analog stick?, The ship behaves very oddly and often chooses it's own actions (I love that game)

lol wow, i had never bothered to try that game out at all and yeah it's kinda mental. I tried setting it up with an analog controller and digital and the game just acts all crazy with both. I even tried it with Mame and the 800 core in Retroarch and it's the same thing.

I wonder if this issue is because the game was never actually released and was planned to have its own 5 button arcade style controller.

https://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/asteroids/asteroids.htm

The Atari 5200 version of Asteroids holds a special place in history as the only launch title never to be released.
In an attempt to address this problem, Atari developed a special "Asteroids Controller". 

18 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Try this hack that someone made, you will have to move your controller left and right to calibrate it when you first start it up but it should play fine. I gave it a quick test with my d-pad control setup and it seemed to be fine.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/20701-heres-the-5200-asteroids-hack/

Wow cool enough and thank's, How on earth did i miss this from countless of hours googling this issue??

Should have googled "Atari 5200 asteroids hack" ?

33 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

When I play Asteroids I always play like my engines don't work and just try my best to defend the middle position. I can get over 20K points occasionally in the 7800 version

It could be fun with a dedicated sub-forum with High-scores for more known titles.

It's funny with Asteroids, So incredible simple and yet so damn addicting :)

Edited by ModerateNOOB