LaunchBox Community Forums

Up is down, And down is up in MESS??????

ModerateNOOB

Hi guys, It's me again with never ending Atari 5200 emulation problems and weird issues??.

Today we have a new one (I'm quite litteraly going mad), For some reason MESS has decided that my left analog is down when i'm trying to configure it as "UP" under Input general/player 1 controls.

When i configure the left analog stick and press it  "UP" it chooses "DOWN????   And opposite when i press it down it configures as "UP"?????.

I tested my controller with other games and emulators without any issue, But it seems to only do this with MESS.

My Atari 5200 collection is nearly complete and perfect (Gotten to letter R).

I kind of fixed it (sort of).

I deleted all the config files for mess and started over mapping the controls, But strangely enough it still acts up a bit.

I tested it now on ms pacman and right when i start the game it acts up a little by going in the opposite direction, And then it's like it's calibrating itself after a few seconds?????.

Tested my controller on some regular pc games, And it acts absolutely fine with them. ?????

MESS / Mame has controller issues with its 5200 emulation, for example, Pitfall you cannot start and Moon Patrol you cannot jump. For whatever reason these buttons just do not register with these games running.

I'd recommend using Kat5200 for that system, it's relatively easy to setup and works great even though the GUI for it is kinda oldschool and ugly, but you only see that when setting it up.

7 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

MESS / Mame has controller issues with its 5200 emulation, for example, Pitfall you cannot start and Moon Patrol you cannot jump. For whatever reason these buttons just do not register with these games running.

I'd recommend using Kat5200 for that system, it's relatively easy to setup and works great even though the GUI for it is kinda oldschool and ugly, but you only see that when setting it up.

I use Altirra as my primary emu for 5200 games, And then a combination of Kat5200 and Mess for the rest. I'm actually not having any problems with pitfall and moon patrol (Altirra does a fine job there).

What i'm having the biggest issues with is the in-game settings like switching difficulty settings or switching between 1 and 2 player, Finding a keyboard command can be quite difficult.

5 hours ago, ModerateNOOB said:

I use Altirra as my primary emu for 5200 games, And then a combination of Kat5200 and Mess for the rest. I'm actually not having any problems with pitfall and moon patrol (Altirra does a fine job there).

What i'm having the biggest issues with is the in-game settings like switching difficulty settings or switching between 1 and 2 player, Finding a keyboard command can be quite difficult.

Just wondering, which command lines do you use for Altirra? As a stand-alone, this is probably the best 5200 and Atari 800 emulator, but I'm getting all mixed up with the command line through LaunchBox

2 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Just wondering, which command lines do you use for Altirra? As a stand-alone, this is probably the best 5200 and Atari 800 emulator, but I'm getting all mixed up with the command line through LaunchBox

I'm not really using any, I just imported the roms and located Altirra's exe application. So far i'm only managing 5200 rom's with it.

Are there any useful command lines for it????, Only thing i'm missing is the option to map a controller button to exit the emu.

2 minutes ago, ModerateNOOB said:

I'm not really using any, I just imported the roms and located Altirra's exe application. So far i'm only managing 5200 rom's with it.

Are there any useful command lines for it????, Only thing i'm missing is the option to map a controller button to exit the emu.

Just wondered, because in the main Altirra window, it always asks for a mapper (before starting the game) whenever I load Atari 800 roms, and I still can not figure this part out. What I'd like to do is insert the mapper into the command line for each game, so that I don't have to repeat this process every time 

7 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Just wondered, because in the main Altirra window, it always asks for a mapper (before starting the game) whenever I load Atari 800 roms, and I still can not figure this part out. What I'd like to do is insert the mapper into the command line for each game, so that I don't have to repeat this process every time 

Ahh that i can help you with.

First of all make sure you download the newest version 3.10, Many games do not require to be mapped anymore (But there's still some indeed).

When you boot a game and selected the mapper, Just select "save firmware" and then select "save cartridge". You can save in a new location or just overwrite the cartridge, After this it should boot directly next time you load it.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ModerateNOOB said:

Ahh that i can help you with.

First of all make sure you download the newest version 3.10, Many games do not require to be mapped anymore (But there's still some indeed).

When you boot a game and selected the mapper, Just select "save firmware" and then select "save cartridge". You can save in a new location or just overwrite the cartridge, After this it should boot directly next time you load it. 

Yep, that worked, after I saved each cartridge to .car format. Then I just renamed it back to .rom and it loads up properly. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, bundangdon said:

Yep, that worked, after I saved each cartridge to .car format. Then I just renamed it back to .rom and it loads up properly. Thank you! 

No sweat, Glad i was finally able to help someone out :)

Normally i'm the one with the questions.

Altirra is by far the nest 5200 emulator but there's still juuust 2 minor things i would love it to have.

A way to map a exit command to my controller, And a way to manually name the profiles for my joystick configurations. There are some of the games than handles very different from the normal control setup, So far i have an entirely different control setup for miniature golf and space dungeon which requires an extra setup of the analog stick in port 2.

Yeah yeah (I'm probably a little weird)

• Like 1