LaunchBox Community Forums

I want my MTV

DreadPoet

Not sure if it is possible---but it would be insanely cool if the metadata on background music (when music begins) starts in bottom right corner and looked like old school MTV.  I am creating a 80s playlist for background music on my arcade cabinet and thought it might be gnarly, tubular, and way way rad!!!  That said, I know the player is 3rd party...so I do not know the possibility.  

Edited by DreadPoet

8 hours ago, DreadPoet said:

Not sure if it is possible---but it would be insanely cool if the metadata on background music (when music begins) starts in bottom right corner and looked like old school MTV.  I am creating a 80s playlist for background music on my arcade cabinet and thought it might be gnarly, tubular, and way way rad!!!  That said, I know the player is 3rd party...so I do not know the possibility.  

If I remember right one of the options for the media player is to use VLC which does support community made plugins so theoretically it should be possible for Jason to add that in as a feature at some point if he really likes the idea and/or if there's enough community interest in it.

54 minutes ago, DreadPoet said:

I like the conflict of background music and snaps.. it reminds me of 80s video arcades.

I actually sometime play 80s music in my man cave while playing some centipede.  Somehow it makes the game more immersive.  

Now see if you really want that 80's feel play centipede, your 80's music and this all at the same time. lol (and yes he has other years than 1981 I just picked that one because that's the year I was born. lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, voicesinthedark said:

Now see if you really want that 80's feel play centipede, your 80's music and this all at the same time. lol (and yes he has other years than 1981 I just picked that one because that's the year I was born. lol

Omg. I used to do sound design.  This took awhile.

11 minutes ago, DreadPoet said:

Omg. I used to do sound design.  This took awhile.

Well in the description of the video it says it's from a virtual arcade and I do remember there being a virtual arcade on xbox360 and I know there's been a couple on steam and just pc in general so he probably used one of those but even still to get it sounding just the way you want it to and moving all of the virtual machines around and then switching some of them in and out for the different years, yeah that had to have taken a good long while to do these.

I think I like the 1983 version best.  I am amazed at how much time we are willing to spend on something that is basically without any higher function.  I am currently working on editing down songs for background music.  There will be 8 to 10 cuts of perfectly aligned tracks to make the music develop quicker, include the heart and best part of the song, while making the song less than  a minute long.  I find myself listening to the newly edited minute song before starting the next  game.  oddly, deciding the perfect playlist is proving more difficult than the editing. the final count down baby.

Edited by DreadPoet

52 minutes ago, DreadPoet said:

I think I like the 1983 version best.  I am amazed at how much time we are willing to spend on something that is basically without any higher function.  I am currently working on editing down songs for background music.  There will be 8 to 10 cuts of perfectly aligned tracks to make the music develop quicker, include the heart and best part of the song, while making the song less than  a minute long.  I find myself listening to the newly edited minute song before starting the next  game.  oddly, deciding the perfect playlist is proving more difficult than the editing. the final count down baby.

The second I read this the ultimate cheese fest of Denise Williams - Let's hear it for the boy while playing Paperboy popped into my head. lol

Yeah trying to figure out which songs to have would be a huge pain because at least with the arcades, skating rinks, etc. I went to they pretty much played everything and anything they thought was cool so there really wasn't anything like a standard set of songs you knew you'd end up hearing every time you went.

I have decided to stick to inspirational songs, songs about kicking butts, songs about people wanting to kick my butts—above all else...songs that somehow feel 80s.  I do not discount songs that can be cut to only have aforementioned subject matter.  Current thoughts...  (Eye of the tiger, Final  Count Down, I need a hero, baracuda, we’re not gonna take it, (Tom sawyer...just because it is in ready player one’s early preview).  Trying to stay away from Tv tunes...though transformers the movie is tempting.

also tempting pour some sugar on me and Cutting Crew’s died in your arms tonight (Pizza hut always had it playing on their jukebox

Edited by DreadPoet