LaunchBox Community Forums

cannot get MAME to run outside of launchbox

markinsand

looking for help... 

i cannot get MAME (0.201) to even run.  I right click on the mame64 application and run it as an admin... windows asks "do you want to let this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device"  I say "yes" then the screen goes black except for the spinning blue circle and after about 20 seconds it stops and closes.

even double clicking and avoiding running as admin... same results...

I did load a sega genesis rom using Kega Fushion and it runs and opens in big box...

I know this is a launchbox forum but if anyone can point me to help with MAME issues it'd be much appreciated... 

mame folder pic.PNG

windows version.PNG

Edited by markinsand

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I run it on Windows 10 without issues but my Mame folder is on another drive, I wonder if maybe because of where you have it installed to is causing the problem.

I'll try ... right now it's under my user ID... 

you helped me a ton when i priced out my machine almost 1 year ago... 

finally got it up and running ... the only thing on this computer is this stuff :(

mame location.PNG

Edited by markinsand

3 minutes ago, markinsand said:

same problem for me it won't load a game... I can get mameui open though

There is a ini file that you need to say where your ROMs are, other then that it should just be a double click. Then when you get to the warning screen to press ok, move the joystick left and right 

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

If you are using MAMEUI have you made sure that your MAME.ini file is in the root folder and not inside of the ini folder for some reason in MAMEUI it doesn't work if the ini isn't in the root.

is this something needed to run launchbox only?  or does MAMEUI not run roms unless you move the file as well?  I can't get MAMEUI to play a ROM but I  can get the program open.  I'm starting to think it has to do with user privileges within Windows... hoping so at least.

Edited by markinsand

2 minutes ago, markinsand said:

is this something needed to run launchbox only?  or does MAMEUI not run roms unless you move the file as well?  I can't get MAMEUI to play a ROM but I  can get the program open.  I'm starting to think it has to do with user privileges within Windows... hoping so at least.

Moving the ini is only needed when launching from Launchbox, there is a weird bug when launching games via commandline (which is what Launchbox is doing) that it doesnt read the ini from the ini folder.

What romset do you have? What version of MAMEUI do you have? What game are you trying to load in your testing? Does the game in question need a CHD and if so do you have it?

4 minutes ago, markinsand said:

537369675_ScreenShot2018-10-30at10_04_54AM.thumb.jpg.e739624f817c66c1e90ee1ac64850307.jpgDid you update your directories? 

17 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Moving the ini is only needed when launching from Launchbox, there is a weird bug when launching games via commandline (which is what Launchbox is doing) that it doesnt read the ini from the ini folder.

What romset do you have? What version of MAMEUI do you have? What game are you trying to load in your testing? Does the game in question need a CHD and if so do you have it?

i plan on only getting roms for games I want to play, not complete sets... I am getting them from retroroms the currentroms/ folder.  As mentioned above I did get MAME to work on my 7 year old home computer running Windows 10 and am using Black Tiger blktiger.zip as my test rom.  It loaded and worked fine on there.

I was using MAMEUI64 v.202 , unlike MAME I could actually get MAMEUI open but when I click on Black Tiger I get the same black screen with blue spinning process circle then it stops.

I truly appreciate you guys throwing these questions at me.. something has to give soon..

I'm at work now, able to answer questions just not test things out...

34 minutes ago, natemac00 said:

If you are not using a full set you want to make sure you are not using a Split set.

to save space split sets will use duplicated files from other ROMs to run a rom.

lots of ROMs use other info from other files to run.

Also you will need to know what romset version the roms are from and use the matching emulator version. You cant just throw any rom at any version of the emulator as they likely will not work at all. This is why the romsets and the emulator are numbered, they need to be kept the same version because if not roms can and will break.

So it sounds to me here like either you have missing files like @natemac00 says, or you are simply using roms that are not for the version of the emulator you have.

i feel pretty good about rom set versions going with emulator versions...

the core problem is...for whatever reason... I cannot even get MAME to load on my new Win 10 machine.  I'm up and running with Sega Genesis and NES... gotta be a Windows 10 conflict as it does work on my old and slow home computer even...