LaunchBox Community Forums

Kega Fusion Vs. Genesis GX (Retroarch core) FOR SEGA CD GAMES... - PROS AND CONS?

cleverest

Both seem to work fine...what am I losing from one and gaining from the other beyond uniformity with using Retroarch with more stuff (which may be enough if all things are equal otherwise)

Is it true that Genesis GX does not do multi-Disc games? I thought I read about that somewhere...

I used Kega Fusion and loved it. I have been trying to use Retroarch more for its plug and play functionality but I have not been able to get it to load the Master System bios screen. Retroarch loads straight into the game. I have the bios file in the system folder, have gone into the options, but it won't load the intro screen. Some of us want to see the Sega logo come up before a game starts. Nostalgia. And the hidden snail game...

Fusion is a very good emulator but it does have some issues with newer versions of Windows. They can be worked around of course but it is a hassle, if the boot bios screen is more important to you than using a more accurate emulator then that's your choice. Fusion does not run Pier Solar where GenesisGX and Mame does.

I am running Retroarch for the exact reasons you described. I had to make the better choice. Boot screen is nice, but I'm confident there is a way to make it happen. That's part of the fun of emulation; getting things to work. My go to SMS emulator for years was Meka, but it became more difficult to use as new Windows came out.

55 minutes ago, cleverest said:

I'm not able to load this game using Genesis GX in the retroarch core...it tells me that I need to insert a cartridge first? Any way to fix that?

Are you trying to run just the cart version or the cart + cd version ?, either one you should be loading the .bin file.

I have both versions and they both work perfectly fine.

7 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Are you trying to run just the cart version or the cart + cd version ?, either one you should be loading the .bin file.

I have both versions and they both work perfectly fine.

LOL I didn't realize it, but it was loading the SoundTrack CD only...that is the only .cue I have...I can't seem to find this actual title on CD. (only the MegaDrive version). Darn!

The CD version of the game should be a bin (cart rom) + iso (soundtrack), atleast that's what I have. The bin and iso are in a folder and I load the bin file into RA and it plays the music off the iso image. I don't know if there are other versions floating around or not, I haven't seen others.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone run into trouble getting Genesis roms to work with Genesis Plus GX core? The games import fine, Retroarch loads fine, but then only a black screen. I have experimented with roms zipped and unzipped, bios files in the Retroarch system folder, selecting Retroarch as default emulator in Launchbox... SMS and 32X run fine with the same core. Roms have the md file extension. 

2 minutes ago, Drakkorcia said:

Has anyone run into trouble getting Genesis roms to work with Genesis Plus GX core? The games import fine, Retroarch loads fine, but then only a black screen. I have experimented with roms zipped and unzipped, bios files in the Retroarch system folder, selecting Retroarch as default emulator in Launchbox... SMS and 32X run fine with the same core. Roms have the md file extension. 

Do they load from just retroarch?

Just now, Drakkorcia said:

Nope. Same deal. Loads the game to a black screen, and stays black until I escape to close out.

Are you running any shaders? It could be incompatible. Although if SMS and 32X are working with the same core it shouldn't be that, but worth checking. Have you tried the games in another emulator? It could be that they are broken or corrupted.