LaunchBox Community Forums

clear art on game wheels not showing up

astrothug

Hi All just wanted to say a few things, Im new here and new to Launchbox been a hyperspin rocketlauncher guy for years, I built a new console computer to play retro games. I know my way around a computer and Rocketlauncher, So my problem is that when I populate my games and i go to the images folder i see all the art for a system but on some wheels it does not show those clear art images but only the words. I have tried refreshing all images in Bigbox, Im in the process right now of re downloding metedata and media but im sure its going to take a few days to sort out that im on hour 12 right now, I have tried different themes and im using the unified theme (very nice like hyperspin) any more help would be much appreciated.

LB will take the name of the ROM or the the name that is listed in the title when you look at the Edit Game view.  So for example, if my ROM name is "Addams Family, The (USA).7z" and the clear logo is "Addams Family, The (USA).png" it will match that automatically and show up in LB.  It would also work in this case if the clear logo was called "The Addams Family.png" since that is what it is called in the LB Database for Gameboy game.  The "01, 02" referenced above is what LB uses when downloading and there are multiple media of same type in the LB and/or EMUMovies DB.  You don't have to bother with the "01" if only have one media type for that entry (i.e., box, clear logo).  My preference, if not using the LB DB is to use the ROM name, particularly the case for MAME and sets where there is consistency in naming. LB does have some fuzzy logic to a degree if not quite the ROM or game title where things are in brackets such as (Disc 1), (Disc 2). 

Where it does not match is if you have a ROM such as "Disney's Toy Story 2 Buzz Lightyear.zip" but the media is "Toy Story 2.png" or "Disney's Toy Story 2.png" it will not pick that up as match since too many word differences.  In that case, you either have to manually match via the LB game edit view or fix the PNG and/or ROM name.  You just have to decide what is easiest/quickest.

Typically your ROM and Media names should be similarly named already coming from Hyperspin, so surprised LB isn't picking them up.  But I haven't messed too much with Hyperspin, so could be assuming too much there.  If minor issues with naming, then I found FatMatch was quicker/simpler. But if you have complicated renaming, Tur seemed to be "smarter" in matching and seemed easier to match files that renamer didn't know what to do with  So, I might go with Tur in that case if got a bunch to do so you can see what the issues are with the ROMs vs your Media with the grid view.  I didn't have to do much renaming, so I am by no means expert on either.  Typically, any media packs I dumped in were about 90% there versus my ROM names and then I just let the Launchbox DB search and fill in the gaps. 

The one thing you have to get used to with LB is that once you get things imported and media to a place you like with LB seeing the media, then don't worry too much about how LB names things if you use the LB Database.  It used to drive me crazy it didn't download files as the ROM name and named them like "Asteroids-01.png" rather than the ROM name but in the end it doesn't matter as long as the ROM and media are connected in LB so it displays. You can get a bunch of duplicate images in some cases over time depending on your importing check boxes you select if using the LB DB  where for example you checked EMUMovies and LaunchBox DB to pull images can get multiple files of same type. But you can use the Tools, Cleanup Images feature in LB to delete any media that is not connected to a ROM in LB. Be careful with that Cleanup Images feature if using since it is a permanent delete and does ALL platforms (which I don't like, thus don't use most times without backup). MAME is only one I nuke the image sub directories completely when updating media (say going from MAME 202 to 203 media packs for Flyers, Snapshots, etc) since ROM names always match the media names if using proper MAME sets.  Otherwise, as long as got all my media coming up for each ROM makes no difference on the name at that point. 

The Tools, Audit feature in LB is also very handy when doing all your initial imports to see what is missing on media. 

Edited by sundogak
spelling

Assuming names are correct then either the media is in wrong directory or you need to refresh the images (in LB, select all within that platform view, then F5 or right click and select refresh).  Assuming you have not changed the defaults in LB, then the ima ges are all in C:\Launchbox\Images\ 

So for say the Atari 2600 logos, then that is in C:\Launchbox\Images\Atari 2600\Clear Logos folder.  Don't have to worry about the country folders if manually placing media in the subfolder. image.thumb.png.2e3edde3c36bcb5728e85f562a1d8cdd.png

its all fine there too, i cant seem t figure it out, wait a sec ok this could be the issue, when i first started with this i had everything on c drive then got a new drive and installed launchbox to d drive with some new consoles,  then took launchbox from c drive and moved the files over and its those systems i believe that are not showing all art.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, SLUGIE79 said:

Hi Guys 

Im having a similar issue on big box

I dont have the mame platform wheel so i got my hyperspin one which is png file and is called MAME but wont show up?

Also pinball FX 2 and game wheels are named correctly and in the right folder are not showing up on big box  ?

any reason why please 

Platform images go here if want to do manually:

....LaunchBox\Images\Platforms

or

within LB right-click on platform, select Edit.  Then look at right and there is option to select clear logo, etc.  

Capture.thumb.PNG.62abd12844fef5ee623163e12e5cb0a0.PNG

Or

If you want platform media specific to one theme but don't want it for everything you can load images here (these will override anything you do above for that theme):

....\LaunchBox\Themes\*NAME OF YOUR THEME*\Images\Platforms\Clear Logo 

Make sure you select Options in BB and refresh platform images to refresh the image cache

1 hour ago, SLUGIE79 said:

How do i stop the game and system  wheels fading out it’s really irritating and I can’t find which game I’m on on MAME I have a full set which is over 36,000 games so as you can understand it’s really frustrating when I don’t know which one I’m on

Thanks in advance

You would have to edit the theme's code to stop it from animating. It fades only after you stopped on a game so the data and video on the screen tells you what game you are on.