LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Romsets Dilemma

Dreamwarrior77

ok well I have read that either the split set or the non merged set is what we should be using but I am confused as to what I should do.  Yes the split set is smaller in size but the problem I am trying to solve is this. I want to be able to go through my mame romsets and be able to remove any games I do not wish to play or have in my collection. So with the split set the problem is that if I don't like a parent romset and delete it then I would have to hunt down all the clones for the parent set which is a pain to say the least. Deleting just clones that I don't like is fine obviously I am just assuming that there are tons of games that I would not be interested in, which brings me back to non merged sets.. so if I use non merged roms instead of split yeah the size is larger ok but then what happens when I want to delete a romset? I assume it would only delete whichever .zip file I choose and keep everything else.. it just seems confusing as far as deleting and pruning the collection. I would go with the split since it takes up less space but I just don't know if that would be best for me in this situation. Like this is just an example but lets say there is a japanese parent game that has a USA clone and I only want the USA version that could not be done with a split set.. so do you guys think I should just rock the non-merged set to make things less confusing? Can anyone make more sense of this?.. and what other situations could arise between these romsets and deleting them one at a time?

Edited by Dreamwarrior77

I'm no expert in Mame, for sure.  But, I decided to go with a non merged set, mostly for the reasons you mentioned.  I was/am not interested in a full mame set, so size wasn't really an issue for me.  I actually ended up using many of the available all killer/no filler lists out there in the internet (some on this site/forum if I recall) and just picked the files I wanted to import.  I'm not interested in some really obscure arcade game that came out in the 80's that I will never play.  So, the non merged was way easier IMO for me to go with, as one zip file is "supposed" to contain all the files needed for that game to play, no need for a parent rom etc.  The exception is that even with non-merged roms, some of them still need CHD files in order to play properly.

IMO, I'd go with whatever you think makes more sense for you... for me it was non-merged all the way :)

• Thanks 1

If you want to remove zips from a MAME set then you will need a non-merged set. They have every file needed inside every zip. You can not just delete zips from a split or merged set. The reason they are smaller in file size is because they share files between different games, if you delete a game it may contain files that a completely non related game needs.

This is the issue a lot of new users fall into im afraid. MAME is a very different thing to all other systems.

Thanks @CDBlue That is what I was thinking as well, there are some obscure gems out there though, I am a big fan of beat'em ups, action side scrollers and 1 on 1 fighting games as well as platformers. Discovered lots of gems I never got to actually play at the arcade growing up but awesome games are in there if you have the time to just try one rom after another and see what it is.. just too much other crap though if you ask me. Mahjong for example I don't know how to play and well it's not my type of thing but there is so much other junk stuff I would never play in a million years so I am just afraid this task of going through a full mame romset is going to take a million years! lol..

Get ready to spend alot of time getting your Arcade collection going though if you're planning on picking and choosing non-merged games.  As I mentioned in my post above I would suggest using one of the many "all killer / no filler" lists out there for whatever type of game your into, and then just getting every rom from whatever source you use to get your non-merged roms.  It's a good way of getting games you might not be familiar with, while getting mostly "good" games to play.  Even with the lists I've found a few duds that made on the lists somehow lol

1 hour ago, CDBlue said:

Even with the lists I've found a few duds that made on the lists somehow lol

yes I figured that might happen but that is why I am going to just painstakingly go through everything even if it takes forever. I know they keep adding games but at least I can get rid of the stuff I would never play. I will probably make a list of all the roms/chds that I would remove so even if I upgrade my romset later I can at least know what I don't want from the previous set. Can I favorite in LaunchBox or is that only in BigBox? I just upgraded from version 7.14 I think it was to version 9.1.. what happened to the menu they made it weird now. I like your typical software menu placement. Anyway to put that the way it was rather than having to click the 3 white lines next to the logo? Minor gripe.. just saying.. Ok also wondering about the CHDs as you mentioned is there some kind of list, current hopefully.. that can tell me what roms go with what CHDs? Like what are it's associated files? I do not want to delete a romset only to find out it had an associated CHD or delete a CHD and not know the name of the associated romset.

Thanks @neil9000 yes Mame is quite different than most others but also one of the best. You gotta love it though right?

Edited by Dreamwarrior77

1 hour ago, CDBlue said:

Even with the lists I've found a few duds that made on the lists somehow lol

Yeah, shit is subjective, I made the lists based on community feedback. There are games on there that I personally would never have put on there but people would have a fit if I didn't include such as Mortal Kombat and there are probably games missing from it that should be on there.

I also made the lists and spreadsheets to that people could easily modify it to their liking. 

• Like 1

You can favorite games in LB and BB.  You can then select LB to sort games by favorite so they'll show at the start of each platform as you select them in the list too. It's not as elegant as it is in BB, but it works.  As for CHD's if you use the lists I mentioned, I believe many of them do specify which games (if any) on the list require CHD's... usually not many, maybe a handful on the lists require them.