LaunchBox Community Forums

Chadmando's Super Pause Menu For Windows UPDATE V1.0 released

UPDATE Super Pause menu V1.0 with dll plugin now released in released section!

Added timestamps and screenshots of your savestates, a manual viewer, and many more customizable options using launchbox images.

UPDATE Super Pause Menu 0.85 DOWNLOAD>>> Super Pause Menu V0.85.zip

• Completely reworked the saving/loading method of my settings program to use .ini files instead of .txt. The way I had previously set it up really painted me into a corner and limited what I could do with future upgrades. This will pave the way for future upgrades such as...
  • Added the ability to use up to 100 save/load slots (not that I imagine anyone will use that many). This new ability will be sort of be my template for user created custom menus (to be added in the future).
  • Added the option to display however many save/load slot you want per page.

ExtraSaveLoad.thumb.png.82a820ad4be5e21d5bdbd3aec600e9b3.png

SettingsSaveLoadSlots.thumb.png.c1ec0afc5a8193705d7642c2cec98716.png

• I needed some new options to accommodate the growing Save/Load Menu list. So I added a new page in the "Customize Menu" page in the settings program. This includes a font size option for the Save/Load screen title, and a separate one for the Save/Load screen menu items.
  • I added the ability to change the horizontal alignment of the menu title, this way you can use the whole screen height for your menu items and place your menu title to the side.
  • Added some better scaling options for the text size. This way your pause screen should look nearly identical if you are using the same screen ratio as your background image. If your background ratio is of 16:9 and your resolution changed to a 4:3, the text size will look almost the same, though the background image will obviously be a little skewed. Likewise with your screen DPI, I prefer to use 150% zoom in on windows (144 DPI) if I change it to 100% the pause menu should be able to accommodate that no problem. Here are a couple screenshots I took while changing my resolution. If anyone wants it I may add the option in the future to fit the background image to screen with the same ratio and use black bars, but for now if the user is using a different resolution the easier option is to just use a background image with the same ratio as their monitor.

Below is a screenshot of my new Mame menu at 1920 X 1080 using 144 DPI (16:9 ratio 150% Zoom in) (Background image is 1920 X 1080)

316368143_1920x1080144DPI.thumb.png.bdcf38d9319c2fc6bd6f285250c7e5cf.pngHere is is at 1633x768 96DPI (100% Zoom in)

506968541_1366x76896DPI.thumb.png.3bb235ac955ae96208259cd3d88dcb7d.pngAnd just for the heck of it 800 X 600:

800X600.thumb.png.2f5e08cd57822d619bb208958f07f241.png

New Settings Page:

NewCusomizePage.thumb.png.4c85b00423a1358dc1644a3d382096e6.png

• I have removed the 10 line limit to the Autohotkey script entry boxes (no limit whatsoever), enlarged the input boxes and added scrollbars.

AutoHotkeyNoLimit.thumb.png.27e8ef1f5bc4693d4291f1e84e4d407c.png

• Fixed some flickering issues when pressing the user defined up down keys on the pause menu
  • Changed the icon image to a custom one instead of the AHK one

Changes to emulator settings files - Note: I have made some changes to the look of some of the menus for a few emulators. I wanted to include examples of what the user has the ability to do. If you don't like some of them you can change them, I may revert to a default look and include a theme manager in future releases.

• Added Demul to the list of pre-configured emulator settings. I didn't include save/load slots for it, as demul doesn't have any default hotkeys set up for saving and loading. You can add these in yourself however.
  • Dolphin -Upped to 8 save/load slots
  • EPSXE - Upped to 5 save/load Slots, increased key delay to 450 milliseconds, changed menu background and font
  • pscsx2 - Upped to 9 save/load slots, changed menu background and font
  • Mame - Upped to 10 save/load slots, changed font and backround
  • Project64 - Upped to 10 save/load slots
  • SNES9x - Upped to 10 save/load slots, changed background
  • Mednafen - Up to 10 Save/load slots
  • Visualboy advance- Changed font and background

Screenshots of new menus:

epsxe.thumb.png.2e85316aee021dbbc12381f664aa35c8.png

pcsx2.thumb.png.2767551aa8b4005c9524172c7aeda799.png316368143_1920x1080144DPI.thumb.png.bdcf38d9319c2fc6bd6f285250c7e5cf.pngproject64.thumb.png.667ef46dbc75b8f3b558d046b142d3f9.pngsnes9x.thumb.png.169856730a543dc04be0231ddd9f260b.pnggameboy.thumb.png.984715e2299ed9160b772786f889561f.png

UPDATE Super Pause Menu 0.80 DOWNLOAD>>> Super Pause Menu V 0.80.zip

• Added the option to allow the user to use their own custom AHK code instead of simply sending hotkeys, this new option adds a whole lot more functionality than before.

ahk.thumb.png.6951cb781eb918a493ae9c88aae7971c.png

• Added full Xinput functionality! I have included an older version of Xinput1_3.dll into this release, you may have to unblock the dll after download. No more Need for external software like Joytokey!

Capture.thumb.PNG.93dc4f2a3ee0eb72d51a8cb0a70f1685.PNG

• Changed the menu "Emulator Hotfixes" to "Emulator Settings. I have added the option to have a delayed start to coincide with Launchbox's Start up screens. This will help prevent any possible interruptions during your loading process. I added a 5 second delay to all my default settings files. I also added a new option to optionally force maximize the running emulator after the pause menu is closed. This way you can use the pause menu with Windowed mode AND full screen mode.

newsettings.thumb.png.1c9bbaa834ca6f92abe82f7022a12625.png-I have added a new Notes section to the main menu

notes.thumb.png.05f975307906c8a9d19aa8f33f7db364.png

• Added working settings for PCSX2 and ePSXe, as well adjusted some settings to all the others so most of the default settings will work with either Full Screen or Windowed mode. My preference is full screen mode, so if an emulators default setting doesn't work with windowed mode you may have to play around with the settings.

• Fixed a lot of annoying bugs.

Next on my list is to add options for the user to create their own custom menus/sub menus, maybe I'll try my hand at some nice layouts, (I'm not so much of an artist) but if anyone wants to share their own backgrounds and layouts let me know, I'll include it into the next update!

UPDATE Super Pause Menu 0.75

I have been working pretty hard on this pause menu and implemented a lot of changes. I have a few more additions I want to add before putting this into the released section. My major changes:

-Optional Fade in when pause button is pressed

-Auto finds your emulator and applies the correct hotkeys if a setting file for it exists

- Auto adjusting resolution. Your  emulator changed your resolution to 800X600? No problem, this menu will adjust for that.

-Works with the new launchbox start and gameover screens.

- Works with fullscreen mode on emulators

- New settings program makes it extremely easy to create and customize the pause menu on a per emulator basis.

-Comes with pre-configured emulator settings for Dolphin, Mame, mednafen, Project64, retroarch, SNES 9x, visualboyadvance-m, visualboyadvance-M-WX (with their default hotkeys). Working on epsxe and pcsx2 for the next release.

-Limited joystick support for Dpad, and all buttons. Passive mode will require the use of a third party program such as joytokey or controller companion to use a controller. (Thus far it appears the only emulator that absolutely needs passive mode is Project 64).

-Works well with the Xbox guide button as a pause key. (Only activated if quick pressed in case the user needs to hold down the button to turn off the controller.)

-Simplistic hotkey entry that auto detects the key you hold down (no going through complicated settings files).

-Added easy string support in case a a simple key combination doesn't cut it, and you need a sequential key command.  Example:  To load save state in slot one for Mame you would enter "F7 1" into the hotkey entry) , which would simulate Pressing F7, followed by a pause, and then a press of 1.

-Support for 0-4 Save/load slots and an optional reset

- The files are now compiled into .exe format rather than autohotkey .ahk for better compatibility.

Quick installation and setup (if simply wanting to use a preconfigured emulator):

1. Unzip the folder and all of it's contents wherever you like, I would suggest the launchbox folder.

2. Go into that folder and open up "Settings.exe"

3. Double click the emulator you want to configure for. It will show  the emulator information at the top when it loads the settings file.chooseemu.thumb.png.e5ab7d5336c8a3df9854acda161c157b.png4. Click the "Menu Keys" button on the left. If you are happy with the current menu keys configuration you can move on to the next step. If you would like to change a key, double the form and a hotkey entry will pop up. Hold down the key you would like to use and then click submit.

Menukeys.thumb.png.bf2f593e8a96fa612e16da97c6f27b26.pngOnce you are happy with all your Menu hotkeys press save at the bottom:

save.thumb.png.cbcd8baa0d7325fa253e61f8095e7f48.png5. Click on the "File" button on the left hand and repeat steps 3 - 4 for all the emulators you would like to configure for.

6. Click on the "Installation Notes" button on the left hand side, then click on "Copy to Clipboard" on the bottom.

save2.thumb.png.5f32feec53f7e36d80b737e34ce64a31.png7. Close the settings program. Open up Launchbox, click on the settings buttons -> Tools -> Manage Emulators

manageemus.thumb.png.2345f1e1a82fbbb3c462e19f9798bec8.png8. Double click you emulator of choice,  and then click on the "AutoHotkey Script" tab. Paste the contents of your clipboard (ctrl+V or right click-> Paste) on the first line, then press OK. Repeat this step for all the emulators you would like to use the pause menu with.

entercode.thumb.png.ee829acbc20c7313a19837e699a511ad.png9. Launch a game with launchbox or Bigbox. The pause menu will start hidden in your toolbar. Upon launch it will look at all the running executable and match it to it's corresponding settings file. If it does not find a config file it will time out and give you an error message after 30 seconds.

After your game loads, press the hotkey button you have configured as your pause button in the previous steps to launch the pause menu. Use your configured navigation keys to navigate the menu. Pressing your pause key again will exit the pause screen and unpause your game. If your emulator closes expected or unexpectedly, the pause menu will detect that and close itself.

10. If you want to change your background, font, font colors, etc etc for any specific emulator, or create a whole new settings file for a different emulator altogether just use the settings program.

DOWNLOAD: Super Pause Menu V0.75.zip

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started doing this as a personal project for my holidays days off. I find myself keep wanting to add more and more, and now I have to go back to work soon, so I thought I'd release this before it never sees the light of day. I hope to continue working on this in my spare time. And if I don't someone can very easily modify and customize to what I have done thus far.
I present to you, Chadmando's Super Pause Menu v0.5. (AUTO HOTKEY SCRIPT).
Features: Pause, Four Save and Load States, and a Reset. The menu is customizable within the provided settings.ini folder (I tried to make it as straight forward as possible). Customizable settings include custom controls, Background image, Font color, alignment of title text and menu list. By default I am using a resolution of 1920X1080, if you're resolution is any different I have no idea if it will still work, (I hope to fix that in the future).
Outside of this, it's just a script, you can modify it all you want.

I have only done a configuration for Dolphin, and it works just fine so far with their default hotkey set (Be sure to add SHIFT+ F9 for the Reset hotkey in dolphin settings). I plan on adding separate settings files per emulator in the future and have this one script handle everything. In the mean time if you want to use it for other emulator's you'll probably have to copy this script and rename it to a new one. I was using this in Windows 10, no guarantees it'll work with other versions of Windows.

I don't really have any installation notes. As long as everything in the provided zip folder is extracted into the same folder, with the same file structure there should be no issues, simply run Super Pause Menu.ahk , it's up to you to set up to your liking.
Upon launch the program hides itself into the notification bar and won't show the pause screen until you press the user defined pause button. By default I set the pause button to the XBOX One guide button.

Default buttons are:

UP and Down controlled by Arrow keys

Select is ENTER

DELETE is back

Credit for the background image to Rincewind

Pause.png

Load.png

Save.png

Super Pause Menu V0.5.zip

Edited by Chadmando
Update
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks, am currently working on the next upgrade. It will have a separate settings program and will allow you to enter your hotkeys much easier for the emulator of choice. The pause menu will know what emulator you have open and will change to the correct hotkeys on its own. I will have 7 days off starting tomorrow and hope to finish the next release. If I have time I will package it with pre-made settings for retroarch, but it should also be easy enough for the users to make their own settings file for it.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:19 AM, ErAzOr said:

This is great :)

Do you have a version for retroarch?

I just released a new version that includes a settings file for retroarch. Please check the top post again with the updated file and installation information.

Edited by Chadmando

11 minutes ago, Chadmando said:

I just released a new version, with settings file for retroarch. Please check the top post again with the updated file and installation information.

This looks interesting don't know how I missed this ? do you plan on adding an option to view manual or view artwork?

2 minutes ago, Napalm2016 said:

This looks interesting don't know how I missed this ? do you plan on adding an option to view manual or view artwork?

I am first going to focus on allowing the user to create their own sub menus with the settings program (Like insert a coin for player 1-4 in mame, sync a wii remote for dolphin, etc). I will then look at adding artwork, manuals, controller layouts,etc. If I can get the running game information somehow from launchbox I think it would fairly easy do.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...