LaunchBox Community Forums

No Sound In-Game - Portaudio

philexile

Hello,

I'm a new user of LaunchBox/Big Box and I've come across an issue. The sound in the frontend's menu works great, but when I launch a game in GroovyMame .205 there isn't any sound.

I have Portaudio enabled and I have a feeling that this is causing the issue. Portaudio needs to be the only sound device running to work properly. Here is the code from my Mame INI:

# OSD SOUND OPTIONS
#
sound                     portaudio
audio_latency             1

#
# PORTAUDIO OPTIONS
#
pa_api                    "Windows WDM-KS"
pa_device                 "Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)"
pa_latency                0.00075

Could you please advise? 

Thank you

4 minutes ago, philexile said:

Hello,

I'm a new user of LaunchBox/Big Box and I've come across an issue. The sound in the frontend's menu works great, but when I launch a game in GroovyMame .205 there isn't any sound.

I have Portaudio enabled and I have a feeling that this is causing the issue. Portaudio needs to be the only sound device running to work properly. Here is the code from my Mame INI:

# OSD SOUND OPTIONS
#
sound                     portaudio
audio_latency             1

#
# PORTAUDIO OPTIONS
#
pa_api                    "Windows WDM-KS"
pa_device                 "Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)"
pa_latency                0.00075

Could you please advise? 

Thank you

Ill tag @Lordmonkus here as i know he uses Groovy MAME himself, may be two or three hours until he is around to answer though.

Hi Phil, I'm having the same issue. Groovymame (when launched via bigbox) has sound with portaudio when using WASAPI, but not WDM-KS. Ideally I'd rather use WDM-KS because it's lower latency, but WASAPI isn't too far behind. On my setup, WASAPi is about 3ms and WDM-KS is 2ms. Probably not even enough for the human ear to notice but you know how OCD us groovymame users are! ?

I just spent some time with this trying out the settings posted here and the settings I have posted in my Mame Tutorial:

# OSD SOUND OPTIONS
#
sound                     portaudio
audio_latency             1

#
# PORTAUDIO OPTIONS
#
pa_api                    "Windows WASAPI"    
pa_device                 default
pa_latency                0.003334

I had very weird and mixed results.

With the settings posted here by @philexile but changing the pa_device to default worked at first but then stopped working. I also tried my settings posted here and it also worked at first but then stopped working. What I get happening is a weird high pitch garbled screeching sound, not fun to listen to so it is trying to make sound.

Both settings also stopped working when launching from just the command line outside of Launchbox with Launcbox closed. I really don't know what is going on here.

I don't use port audio generally because I like to listen to other sounds from my computer while playing like music or talking to friends in discord while playing.

Hello,

I was able to restore the sound by switching to WASAPI instead of WDM-KS. The garbled sound you experienced means that your computer can't handle that low of a setting. If you pushed it up to a higher value, it would work. You just have to experiment.

LordMonkus, what kind of computer are you using? 

Ideally, we'd be able to use WDM-KS. I have a feeling the issue is with the video previews in Launchbox. Would there be a way to add a line of code to Launchbox that tells it to "kill" any audio before launching a game? I think that this would fix the issue. 

Thank you!

Edited by philexile

I am using an AMD Ryzen 2700X but I was able to run Port Audio perfectly fine with the settings I posted on my old PC which was an AMD 8350 which is of course slower.

14 minutes ago, philexile said:

Would there be a way to add a line of code to Launchbox that tells it to "kill" any audio before launching a game? I think that this would fix the issue.

While I won't say this wouldn't work but I had troubles even with everything else closed down (including LB) and running just GroovyMame through the command line.

I built an i9 9900k to be able to push Groovymame to the limits. Even with that sort of CPU, some games can only run with frame_delay set to 7 or 8 – like Out Run for example.

That PC is pretty good, it's odd there is an issue.

Edited by philexile

Ok, doing some more testing and Port Audio with both WASAPI and Windows WDM-KS they both work through LB with a pa_latency setting of 0.02, going any lower than that resulted in messed up sound.

I don't use preview videos in my LB setup to test whether or not that causes any issues at all.

I also don't use any frame delay in my setup because I have a G-Sync display but I would imagine using Port Audio with a really low latency setting combined with frame delay would be quite a demanding load on a CPU.

Here are my findings:

Using Lord Monkus' pa_latency setting, I still had no sound with WDM-KS. I renamed all of my video folders so launchbox wouldn't play any videos, and also disabled all sound in bigbox, but there's still no sound with WDM-KS.

WASAPI works fine though. According to logs WASAPI is 3.33ms latency on my setup and WDM-KS is 2.00ms latency. I tested back and forth with both outside of launchbox by launching mame via the command line and I couldn't tell the difference so I'm okay with using WASAPI unless this issue is figured out.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...