LaunchBox Community Forums

Libretro Kronos not working in Retroarch ?

Tangs

Hi!
I'm setting up my launchbox and I wanted to use the core Libretro Kronos in Retroach but it seems that it's not working.
When I'm launching a game the screen goes black and I can't do anything beside use F1 on my keyboard to quite the screen. At this moment Windows tell me that Retroarch crashed.

To be sure it's not my games or bios, I tried with Mednafen and they worked.

Any help would be greatfull :)

Yeah, yabause libretro core has been broken with retroarch for a while now for me, and Kronos is still in early development for the libretro core, so it might be a while before they iron out the bugs in that so that it's useable.  To be honest, your best bet for Sega Saturn emulation right now is a stand-alone emulator.  While the retroarch core does work, the performance is not great, whereas the stand-alone emulator runs much smoother/better.  I've tried a few of the stand-alone emulatos for Sega Saturn (Kronos, Yabause, Mednafen, etc.) and for me the best one is the stand-alone Mednafen emulator (https://mednafen.github.io/).  It's a bit tricky to setup since there is no front-end, and you have to use key combos the fist time you launch a game to setup your controller, but once you have it setup/working it runs much better than any of the retroarch cores I've tried before.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest double checking you are using the opengl video driver, any latency options are off, and you have the correct bios files in the system folder. They need to be in their own folder within the system folder named "kronos".

Kronos is doing well, but compatibility is an issue since it's a wip. It's definitely usable tho as a core in retroarch. I currently use it over mednafen for about 10 or so games.

Thanx for your reply. 

The latency is off, the driver is on gl, and my two bios : mpr-17933.bin and sega_101.bin are une the folder saturn_bios.bin inside the kronos folder inside the system folder. 

When launching a game I've got a black screen and nothing happen...  :/

Hadn't tried the kronos libretro core in a while.  It has indeed progressed nicely.  Runs quite well on my system for some games (some don't seem to want to run still).  @Tangs, when you launch a game do you get the Saturn startup video (meaning it's loading the bios correctly)?  If you're not even seeing the intro video, meaning that your bios is not even loading, then you might want to try this. I'm not 100% sure, but I do recall Yabause (which Kronos is based on) actually needed a bios file to be called saturn_bios.bin.  I just made a copy of my mpr-17933.bin file, which is the US bios, and renamed it to saturn_bios.bin.  I put it in the same folders as my other files, and that seems to work fine for me.  Mind you, like I said above, some games don't run for me yet on the Kronos core, but it's much better than it was before where none of them would lol.  Anyway, hope this helps maybe.

Edited by CDBlue

Ah yeah, you do need to rename the bios. I just checked how I had it set up and it was saturn_bios.bin and stvbios.zip inside that kronos folder.

I'll give you a general tip though. If you load the core in retroarch, you can go down to information and then core information to see exactly what bios you need (by comparing the md5) and the name it needs to be specifically. That's also where I saw that I needed the "kronos" folder. Core info is useful stuff! If you are unsure of how to check the md5, there are various ways to check. There are online sites where you drag and drop it. Personally, I use a program in the context menu on windows.

Also, I can't find documentation on the Kronos libretro core as to which bios is needed/recommended for it to work.  It seems to not care from the test I've done, but I would assume that it wants a particular bios in order for it to work as the coders intend.  Note, the reason I ask this is that normally Mednafen and Yabause recommend different bios versions.  And, since Kronos is based of Yabause I'm wondering if it also wants the same recommended bios version that the Yabause core recommends:

Mednafen:
filename - mpr-17933.bin
md5sum - 3240872c70984b6cbfda1586cab68dbe

Yabause:
filename - saturn_bios.bin
md5sum - af5828fdff51384f99b3c4926be27762

As I mentioned, I tried both and both seem to work fine... just not sure which one is "recommended" by the Kronos devs.  So far have not  been able to find a definitive answer.

Edit: just re-read the above post... didn't realize the core info in Retroarch shows what bios file you need.  I'll check it out and make sure i'm running the correct one for Kronos now too.  Thx

Edited by CDBlue

• 3 years later...
On 1/25/2019 at 9:06 AM, CDBlue said:

Also, I can't find documentation on the Kronos libretro core as to which bios is needed/recommended for it to work.  It seems to not care from the test I've done, but I would assume that it wants a particular bios in order for it to work as the coders intend.  Note, the reason I ask this is that normally Mednafen and Yabause recommend different bios versions.  And, since Kronos is based of Yabause I'm wondering if it also wants the same recommended bios version that the Yabause core recommends:

Mednafen:
filename - mpr-17933.bin

Yabause:

As I mentioned, I tried both and both seem to work fine... just not sure which one is "recommended" by the Kronos devs.  So far have not  been able to find a definitive answer.

Edit: just re-read the above post... didn't realize the core info in Retroarch shows what bios file you need.  I'll check it out and make sure i'm running the correct one for Kronos now too.  Thx

@CDBlue, Where can I find These Bios?  I went to https://docs.libretro.com/library/beetle_saturn/ but cannot find the download link.  Please help. Thank you.

Mednafen:
filename - mpr-17933.bin

Yabause:

2 minutes ago, melneaz said:

@CDBlue, Where can I find These Bios?  I went to https://docs.libretro.com/library/beetle_saturn/ but cannot find the download link.  Please help. Thank you.

Mednafen:
filename - mpr-17933.bin

Yabause:

Retroarch will not provide you with bios files, nor will anyone on these forums, you will need to use google like everyone else.

• Like 1