LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME crashing

ermac_0

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, harrisone said:

Having the same issue, would like to know why.

We would have to know what is going on exactly to try and help. There can be any number of reasons why depending on what is or is not happening. 

Let's start with the same question I asked the first member...Is mame working outside of Launchbox? In other words can you run a game directly in Mame? 

4 hours ago, Retro808 said:

We would have to know what is going on exactly to try and help. There can be any number of reasons why depending on what is or is not happening. 

Let's start with the same question I asked the first member...Is mame working outside of Launchbox? In other words can you run a game directly in Mame? 

Okay, here is the full issue...

-Running the latest LaunchBox version
-Running MAME.206 64bit
-ROMSET is a .201 complete merged set
-Was working fine, loading games through Launchbox and Bigbox with no issue
-Came back the next day, and tried to launch a game, goes to initializing and then crashes
-Rebooted machine, same issue
-Tried just opening MAME and it worked fine
-Launchbox again, same issue happened
-Made copies of all my ini and cfg files for MAME and had MAME generate new ones, same issue
-Got frustrated so I chose to delete 'Arcade', and re imported full set into LaunchBox again
-I just tried it and now its working

If there is a log or config file I can grab, let me know.

Thanks,
Josh

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If your romset is 0.201 then you should use 0.201 of the MAME emulator. Using a version not for your romset can cause issues and games that should work may not.

I have never had an issue in several years having a newer app version than the romset, so I highly doubt that would have anything to do with this issue. I am fairly confident I read in release notes long long ago that as long as MAME was a version = /= your romset version, you were fine, especially if you were NOT using split roms.

Night 1 = all games were working (Ghouls and Ghosts for example)
Night 1 = every single game crashes at load in MAME until the romset was re-imported

2 minutes ago, harrisone said:

I have never had an issue in several years having a newer app version than the romset, so I highly doubt that would have anything to do with this issue. I am fairly confident I read in release notes long long ago that as long as MAME was a version = /= your romset version, you were fine, especially if you were NOT using split roms.

Night 1 = all games were working (Ghouls and Ghosts for example)
Night 1 = every single game crashes at load in MAME until the romset was re-imported

From the night that it worked until the night that it crashed were there any system updates you installed or even Launchbox updates. 

I think @neil9000 was mainly saying to be safe it is best to use Romset that matches the Mame version. I usually stay within a 1-2 number range. We will typically recommend matching just to be sure we can eliminate a variable when trouble shooting. 

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I think @neil9000 was mainly saying to be safe it is best to use Romset that matches the Mame version. I usually stay within a 1-2 number range. We will typically recommend matching just to be sure we can eliminate a variable when trouble shooting. 

Yup thats what i was saying, there was a change recently to the neo geo bios and the qsound bios, so keeping inline is generally good practice as the current version of MAME will be looking for those new bios structures, not the older structure from a older set. So those are the sort of issues i was referring to.

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

From the night that it worked until the night that it crashed were there any system updates you installed or even Launchbox updates. 

Ahh gotcha, I appreciate the tips please don't get me wrong :D

I do not believe so, the only thing I can think of is this...

I have a GTX 2080 in the machine I am using with the nVidia control panel.
For some reason, when the full screen resolution changes, it kicks the display mode in the nVidia control panel to 30htz.

I was mucking around trying to get the X68000 stuff working right, and somehow it forced my resolution on my machine back to 720p and 30htz refresh rate.

I DID correct this at the same time that I re imported the roms, so maybe that had something to do with it. Thats the only other variable change I can think of.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Yup thats what i was saying, there was a change recently to the neo geo bios and the qsound bios, so keeping inline is generally good practice as the current version of MAME will be looking for those new bios structures, not the older structure from a older set. So those are the sort of issues i was referring to.

Ahh yes, I did have to hunt down a newer neogeo bios with the SP1-U4.bin file.

If I could find a good working 206 set I would be happy.

35 minutes ago, harrisone said:

Ahh gotcha, I appreciate the tips please don't get me wrong :D

I do not believe so, the only thing I can think of is this...

I have a GTX 2080 in the machine I am using with the nVidia control panel.
For some reason, when the full screen resolution changes, it kicks the display mode in the nVidia control panel to 30htz.

I was mucking around trying to get the X68000 stuff working right, and somehow it forced my resolution on my machine back to 720p and 30htz refresh rate.

I DID correct this at the same time that I re imported the roms, so maybe that had something to do with it. Thats the only other variable change I can think of.

That probably was the issue. I had something similar with a 3 monitor setup.