LaunchBox Community Forums

Media Searches

flapjackfiasco

When searching for media, The Game Database almost never fails to find a match. EmuMovies, on the other hand, occasionally fails to find a match. My question is, what string is being used to search EmuMovies? Is it the game Title? I'd like to know so I can try editing the name (i.e. removing special characters, etc.) to see if it helps to return a match.

The media search when importing games works great when your roms are named correctly. If your roms have extra info in the name not in brackets that will mess with the import and search. Anything extra such as revision, region or other info that is not the actual game name will mess with the import.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

The media search when importing games works great when your roms are named correctly. If your roms have extra info in the name not in brackets that will mess with the import and search. Anything extra such as revision, region or other info that is not the actual game name will mess with the import.

So it's the filename that's being used in the search?

Okay, cool. I've been playing around with filenames and titles. Maybe my specific case is an oddball one. It's a Famicom Disk System ROM that's been translated to English. I've tried both the original title and the translated title with no luck. There is a hyphen in the mix, so I'm gonna try out different halves of the name, etc.

Thanks for the quick replies from both of you!

• Like 1

Don't know if this is helpful to you, or to anyone else, but here's an example of what worked and didn't with a few ROMs:

Dr. Mario | Dr Mario: The Game Database returns a match either way, as Title or Filename. EmuMovies only responds when the Filename is changed to Dr. Mario (emphasis on the "."), however the media it fetches is a mixture of Dr. Mario and Dr. Franken. o.O

Kaettekita Mario Bros. | Kaettekita Mario Bros | Kaettekita Mario Brothers: My file uses "Brothers", Launchbox scrapes a Title that uses "Bros.", but that title doesn't return a match from EmuMovies. Eliminating the "." and changing it from "Bros." to "Bros" in the Title (leaving the filename ending in "Brothers".

All this is to say, your search algorithm is robust. Nice job!

And I think, and I know this is just wishful thinking, but this speaks to the need for a Dewey decimal analogue for game media. I realize that the Game Database is one of many examples of such a system, but if there was something universally adopted, especially with a numerical key, so as to avoid language and syntax issues.

I know, wishful thinking.