LaunchBox Community Forums

Project64 64-bit

CDBlue

I know that m64p is a "better" emulator for Nintendo 64, but I still have Project64 setup as a secondary emulator as I like to have 2 in case some games work better with one emulator vs another.  Anyway, just saw that now the latest builds being release for Project64 include a 64-bit variant (as seen on the latest EmuCR post http://www.emucr.com/2019/01/project64-git-20190125.html)  The nice thing about this, is if you use custom textures you no longer have to patch the emulator to allow access to more ram, as well as other improvements I'm sure.  I just download it today and the performance seems to be rather good. 

Note though, GlideN64 support does not exist yet for this version (at least none that I could find) as the plugins need to be re-written for 64-bit support, and the GlideN64 versions that I found for Project64 don't seem to work with this version yet.

Anyway, thought I'd pass it along to my fellow emulator junkies in case people were not aware :)

Edited by CDBlue

• 2 months later...

I'm hoping they come out with a newer version since it seems some games will make your screen get super-bright after you exit to where you have to restart just to get your brightness back to normal. I think I seen somewhere the person behind it wasn't aware of it and has yet to know how to fix it, but I hope somewhere down the line there will be a new version that fixes that or someone else will find a way to help it, because I have yet to find a solution that doesn't require restarting

hmm, never had that issue with Project64.  Wonder if it's a GPU/driver issue that's specific for certain cards and/or models? Also, of note to anyone else who's interested in the 64-bit version, it seems like the builds from time to time are not compiled well (at least on emucr they're not).  Some of the builds don't work/won't launch.  Not sure why, but I usually make a backup of my Project64 folder before I upgrade in case it is broken and I can quickly restore from my backup/zip file.

Edited by CDBlue

Yeah..I've heard so many things from EmuCR being odd and a mess at times. I forgot what I got all from them or still use these days with everything I got, but I've been trying to look around for answers and updates via Google to where at times I come across Reddit posts and things like that to even see what YouTube might have on the issue. I also wonder if some regional versions are causing that brightness too, and if that's somewhat the case then I might end up removing them even though I try to have everything.

• 3 years later...

I stopped using EmuCR a long time ago. They milk you for ads when you can get saver builds directly from the developers. I just go here to get ideas and links to latest nightlys and so on.

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Also I still think Project64 is the best. Just get their dev builds. I never had an issue with any build. Dev build are nothing more then updates as they go and will have the latest greatest they release.

https://www.pj64-emu.com/nightly-builds