LaunchBox Community Forums

can we change the default DOS game launcher for specific games?

sam19

Can users modify how LaunchBox handles launching a specific game by default? I tried to import a DOS game (Beneath a Steel Sky, which is free) and LaunchBox used Dosbox by default, but it didn't work. Online resources indicate that the game is supposed to be launched with ScummVM instead, which worked for me.

18 minutes ago, sam19 said:

Can users modify how LaunchBox handles launching a specific game by default? I tried to import a DOS game (Beneath a Steel Sky, which is free) and LaunchBox used Dosbox by default, but it didn't work. Online resources indicate that the game is supposed to be launched with ScummVM instead, which worked for me.

I dont mess with DOS so im not to up on it, but if you imported it as a DOS game then yes of course it will use DOSBOX as the emulator, thats the point of the DOS importer. If you want to use ScummVM then you will need to add it as a emulator and import the game to a different platform that uses ScummVM, or edit the game in its current platform to use ScummVM instead of DOSBOX after setting up ScummVM as a emulator.

I'm not very familiar with ScummVM, but you can absolutely change emulators.

First, go to tools/emulators and setup your version of ScummVM in launchbox.

Then, right click the game and go to edit/emulation and choose ScummVM which will have it launching with scummvm instead of Dosbox. However, I'm not sure if those particular games and that particular emulator require any special setup. You might want to look around the forums for that.

Yes I know we can specify which emulator is used after we added the game. The problem is that the default option, Dosbox, apparently doesn't work as-configured by LaunchBox, or at least doesn't work as well as ScummVM, which just works. That's why it'd be nice if LaunchBox can automatically detect the game and flag it to be used with ScummVM instead of Dosbox. The game does work for me, so I'm just talking about making the import process more idiot-proof for everyone.

Edited by sam19

I noticed that on the game DB there are 2 entries for the same game:

MS DOS: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/9688

ScummVM: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/92976

Is it standard practice to have 2 entries for each DOS game that supports ScummVM? The user rating for the ScummVM entry is much higher than the MS DOS entry. Perhaps users are having more success with ScummVM on average.  ScummVM is also used by GOG.com's release of the game.