LaunchBox Community Forums

Street Fighter V and x360ce no longer working after capcom update

Bob Benson

I have been successfully using an arcade xtensions controller to play 2 player street fighter v using a combo of vjoy and x360ce.

Last week Capcom dropped support for directinput controllers and told users to use Steam's built in support.

I suspected this would brick my setup but thought since x360ce is using xinput that it might not be affected. But no luck.

I tried seeing if I could get Steam to recognize my two vjoy emulated controllers. When I go to general controller settings it does see them. But when I try to bind enough keys to play the game I see no way to save the config. Also if I go into big picture settings it just says no controller attached.

Does anyone have a similar setup and thought of a solution? Or does anyone have any ideas?

I had not previously heard of ucr. Seems to perform a similar function to x360ce. 

I played around more with it, and it seems like none of my steam games I previously setup with x360ce were working.

I went back into Steam and after some initial trouble managed to get the Steam general controller mapping to work with vjoy which then successfully worked with Street fighter v for 2 player setup.

That was 2 nights ago. I need to go back to my arcade and make sure the setup is still stable in sfv. And then assuming that is stable see if my other steam fighter games work with this setup.

I don't know if this was just an oversight on my part not seeing this as an option previously, or if Steam made some changes to its native directinput controller support that one caused x360ce to stop working but alternatively better supported vjoy directinput natively in Steam.

I'll try to update to let everyone know how it works out.

Sure. It took a little back and forth at first so bear with me as I try to recreate what I did.

I opened general controller support from the main Steam preferences with vjoy running.

Under controllers it detected two "unrecognized gamepads"

I had to basically guess which was player 1 and 2. I think they wound up being reversed.

I believe i checked off all the controller support options but probably I just needed to check generic gamepad.

After that I selected the controller I thought was p1 and then selected define layout.

I made sure I had enough buttons in vjoy on to map at least 4 face buttons and 1 shoulder and 1 trigger.

The part that tripped me up at first I believe was I couldn't map the dpad. I had to map left stick x and y to the joystick. After that I was able to save my profile with the joystick and then do the same for player 2.

Since then all my Steam fighting games have been working without a hitch. Actually better then they had with vjoy and x360ce. My only problem game at this point is Tekken 7. Tekken 7 I believe will only navigate the menus with the dpad not left stick and for the life of me I cant get the dpad to work.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• 2 months later...

I also had to redo my setup for Street Fighter V and will outline my solution here in case anyone else is looking for info. 

I have an arcade cabinet with IPAC Ultimate and Ultimarc ServoStik as the joystick. The full license LaunchBox/BigBox and LEDBlinky, as well as vJoy, UCR, x360ce, and AutoHotKey are used. It all runs on Windows 10.

SFV is set up to run in LaunchBox via the Steam link. I had to use vJoy to create two virtual joysticks and then use UCR to map key presses created by the ServoStik and IPAC set up to the vJoy virtual sticks. I then had to go into the Steam settings to set up the controller mapping (as described above in this thread) for which I ticked the Xbox and generic gamepad options. I then used x360ce to have the virtual sticks recognised by SFV.

All this took a while to get right but now it is stable and makes SFV fun again.

Problems I encountered along the way were many. Player 2 could be set up relatively easily. Player 1 was much more of a problem. SFV via the x360ce wouldn't recognise some of the key presses associated with the Player 1 joystick and control of the up and down arrow keys in UCR led to strange behaviour. I found that a reinstall of the virtual joysticks fixed that. SFV then would get confused and recognise Player 1 as both keyboard control and joystick control. To fix this, I had to use UCR to block all keyboard commands coming from the physical joystick and button set up. This meant that when SFV was exited and returned to BigBox, it wasn't possible to use the physical joystick and buttons to control  the menu and select a new game. To fix this I used an ahk AutoHotKey script to monitor when the process "Street Fighter V.exe" finished to then do a taskkill on UCR.exe. It isn't possible to run a bat file to kill UCR on SFV exit (using the "Run on Exit" option in the Additional Applications tab for the game set up) as LaunchBox thinks that SFV (and other Steam games) exit earlier than it does (see other threads discussing this).

It is also important to have x360ce set up the dll files in the right folder. For SFV this is actually something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\StreetFighterV\StreetFighterV\Binaries\Win64. The set up under the game controllers on windows shows the 2 virtual joysticks plus the IPAC. Some guides say to delete the IPAC board but that wasn't needed (in fact doing so makes the real and virtual joysticks unresponsive). UCR needed to have the key presses of the virtual joysticks set up as vJoy and not as an Xbox controller. I used the original version of UCR done by evilC and not the recent update by Snoothy.

I tried a lot of solution to solved this problem with windows games. What a lost of time and UCR was the best, but not perfect. I have an Ipac UIO with 2XU360. I don't want to waist more time so I did that. I have now 2 Xbox 360 joypads and it seem's working well. I will do more test in the next week's.

Edited by Fablog

I kept with the IPAC and UltraStiks but modified the approach with my arcade cabinet. I now have two Launchbox/BigBox set ups. Upon boot, it loads up a meta BigBox where the user can select from only a few options like Arcade games, Steam Big Picture, Street fighter V, YouTube music, YouTube Premium, Netflix, Shut down. The "Arcade games" option loads up a new BigBox set up (and kills the meta one) that just runs mame arcade games.

For almost all Steam games I use a wireless xBox one controller after selecting Big Picture. So, apart from Street Fighter V, I basically gave up on trying to get Steam games working with the cabinet set up. This was partly because of how hard it was to get them set up and partly because most games I had are not designed to sit at an arcade cabinet and use arcade controls. The games play better with a gamepad and when relaxing on the couch in front of a large TV. My cabinet has a HDMI connection to a TV for this. 

• 9 months later...