LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box not displaying properly since 9.6 update

Drunkasaurus

Hey everyone!

I was goofing around in Big Box just a bit ago when I remembered that the 9.6 update came out. I opened Launchbox and downloaded it, ready to get some new themes in Big Box. Unfortunately, when I open Big Box, after the splash logo shows the screen goes black. I can still navigate and hear my movements through the menus. Sometimes I can get a super low res image of some game's art to show on the screen.

The problem is that the menu does not display on my Dell LCD running at 1920x1080.

Thanks in advance for your help, if you need any other info just let me know!

16 minutes ago, Drunkasaurus said:

Hey everyone!

I was goofing around in Big Box just a bit ago when I remembered that the 9.6 update came out. I opened Launchbox and downloaded it, ready to get some new themes in Big Box. Unfortunately, when I open Big Box, after the splash logo shows the screen goes black. I can still navigate and hear my movements through the menus. Sometimes I can get a super low res image of some game's art to show on the screen.

The problem is that the menu does not display on my Dell LCD running at 1920x1080.

Thanks in advance for your help, if you need any other info just let me know!

Thats a strange one for sure and not a issue i have ever heard of before. Are you using the Default theme? If so try closing Launchbox/Bigbox and navigating to the Launchbox/Themes folder and deleting the Default theme folder. When you re-launch Bigbox it will recreate the Default theme folder, see if that fixes it.

35 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Thats a strange one for sure and not a issue i have ever heard of before. Are you using the Default theme? If so try closing Launchbox/Bigbox and navigating to the Launchbox/Themes folder and deleting the Default theme folder. When you re-launch Bigbox it will recreate the Default theme folder, see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the reply. I tried your advice and got the same result! I'm apprehensive to re-install because I have everything set up the way I like it, and I'm worried I'll just run into the same issue anyway. What else could it be?

2 minutes ago, Drunkasaurus said:

Thanks for the reply. I tried your advice and got the same result! I'm apprehensive to re-install because I have everything set up the way I like it, and I'm worried I'll just run into the same issue anyway. What else could it be?

Could be that the update corrupted during install. Try looking in your Launchbox/Updates folder for the current installer, and install it directly over the top of your current install.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

So I finally figure out a way to solve this problem, I don't know which of the following settings solved it, but now I can launch BigBox from Steamlink and see BigBox running on my mobile:

On Steam, I disabled the following settings:

• Shader Pre-Caching
    • [UNCHECKED] Enable Shader Pre-Caching
  • Controller
    • [CHECKED] Disable controller connected notifications in the  desktop client
  • Remote Play
    • Advanced Host Options
      • Unchecked EVERYTHING (from Play audio on host to Enable hardware encoding on Intel iGPU)
  • Interface 
    • Unchecked EVERYTHING from Scale text and icons to match monitor settings to Notify me about additions or changes to my games...,  
      EXCEPT Run Steam when my computer starts, this one I left CHECKED
  • In-Games 
    • Unchecked
      • Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game
      • Use the Big Picture Overlay...
      • Use Desktop Game theatre...
      • Display a notification
      • Save an uncompressed copy

I'm pretty sure there are options that can be checked/unchecked but I didn't try them yet, just wanted to help those with the same problem I had, after you see BigBox working you can get back and check/uncheck each option one at a time to see which one was causing the blank screen problema.