LaunchBox Community Forums

launchbox and bigbox wont start

Daz101

Hi I would like to know if anyone can help me out, Ive installed the paid for version set everything up and since reboot both launchbox and bigbox wont start.

Nothing happens at all no error nothing. Ive reinstalled it, it started up and then again stopped working. Im on windows 10 pro x64 . Ive also replaced backed up settings and still no startup.

It worked once after i went back to a older version then back to the new version and it ran 2 or 3 times now its not doing anything.

Edited by Daz101

1 hour ago, Daz101 said:

Hi I would like to know if anyone can help me out, Ive installed the paid for version set everything up and since reboot both launchbox and bigbox wont start.

Nothing happens at all no error nothing. Ive reinstalled it, it started up and then again stopped working. Im on windows 10 pro x64 . Ive also replaced backed up settings and still no startup.

It worked once after i went back to a older version then back to the new version and it ran 2 or 3 times now its not doing anything.

Can you please go to your Launchbox/Data folder and open the settings.xml in either notepad or notepad++ and find the line Debug Log, like this.

image.thumb.png.86d15b3d1a11af22136624b120f2103f.pngChange the false to true, and save it. Then open Launchbox and it will create a log file in Launchbox/Logs. Can you please post the log that is created to this thread please.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Daz101 said:

Hi I did that change to true, saved it and tried to open launch box but nothing happened

Yeah but it should still of created the log, hopefully with some information as to why its not loading up. If you can post that we can take a look and hopefully spot a issue as to why its not loading.

Just now, Daz101 said:

I checked in the logs folder and its empty, I remeber having this promblem before on another machine but I gave up as I dont really use that machine, Launchbox is amazing so I gotta fix this some how

So when you try to launch Launchbox it doesnt open, and doesnt create a log either? If that is the case it sounds like its not even trying to launch, because if it was launching and then immediately crashing it should still create a log file. Are you launching from a desktop shortcut? Where did you install Launchbox to? Do you use any antivirus that could be deleting any Launchbox files after you install it?

I have it in C Launchbox. It ran from there quite smoothly before and i have just windows defender . It was running when defender was on. I had to pop in C drive as it made it easier for kodi bigbox pluggin to find the path to it

OK a couple of things you could try for me if you dont mind. Can you navigate to your Launchbox/Metadata folder and post a screenshot of it please, i would like to check that all the correct .dll's are still there. Also if you have the installer can you install a fresh version to your Desktop rather than where you normally install it, see if it opens, if it does can you restart your computer and try opening the same one on your desktop again.

Just now, Daz101 said:

Like i said rolling back works a couple times but not always, I have to re install when I want to run lauachbox or bigbox

That is why i am thinking its a antivirus issue. Obviously version 9.7 is the newest version and has only been out a few days, so antivirus may not recognise it and deleting some files, a older version would likely not have that issue as its been out in the wild a lot longer and will be installed on a lot of machines so the antivirus knows it is safe at that point.

Just now, DOS76 said:

Windows Defender shouldn't be deleting anything from LB though. That would be weird

Yeah it shouldnt, but the fact that it works after a install once or twice then doesnt, makes me think files are missing, and the fact that rolling back to a older version works, but then when it updates it stops working again.

Hmm OK all the .dll's look present and correct as they match up with my working 9.7. However i do see a couple of extra files there that i do not have in my build. The Scumm181 and the Sync78. Could you humour me and move those two files out of there to the desktop an try opening Launchbox after, you can just copy them back after it it doesnt make any difference.