LaunchBox Community Forums

Platform categories gone, no games in BigBox

Thunder345

I am on a fully licensed copy of LaunchBox 9.7 on Windows 10. All of the games work properly in both their emulators and from within LaunchBox, but when I change the sorting drop-down menu to Platform Category, nothing shows up in the sidebar. The program stutters a bit and then crashes. I tried using the feature to create missing arcade playlists, which runs successfully. When I change the drop-down to playlist, they all appear. This appears to be affecting BigBox as well. When I open BigBox, no games appear. The counter (in some themes) says there are 0 games. My guess is BB pulls from the platform category tree. Any ideas how to restore that feature? Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to bump this. I still cannot find a fix. All the games work in LaunchBox, but no games show up in BigBox. I am tempted to reinstall but it literally took weeks to set up every emulator, all the controls and download associated media. It would be a huge undertaking to reinstall, so I'm hoping there is way to get games to show up in BigBox and get the Platform Category working again. Thank you. 

@Thunder345 I took a look at your data and figured out the issue, though I'm not sure how it managed to get like this to begin with. Somehow your Parents.xml file got messed up with a bunch of playlists that don't have any parents specified, but are still in the Parents list. The easiest way to fix it is just to delete your LaunchBox\Data\Parents.xml file. You'll lose the platform/playlist parent structure, but that was already messed up and it should be relatively easy to re-define the parents how you want (there's only a handful of platforms and playlists so it should go quickly).

If you're able to get it to mess up again, let me know. That way I can fix it so it can't happen again. I doubt it's a common issue though because I've never seen this before.

@Jason Carr Deleting the parents file fixed the LaunchBox issue. That now loads from within the drop-down menu. BigBox is still showing 0 games available (in themes that show total games). The default theme just sits in black. I will try to rebuild the category tree. Maybe that will affect BigBox? I'm not sure what is feeding that application. 

Again, thanks for all the help. 

4 hours ago, Thunder345 said:

@Jason Carr Deleting the parents file fixed the LaunchBox issue. That now loads from within the drop-down menu. BigBox is still showing 0 games available (in themes that show total games). The default theme just sits in black. I will try to rebuild the category tree. Maybe that will affect BigBox? I'm not sure what is feeding that application. 

Again, thanks for all the help. 

In Bigbox go to Options/Views and make sure your "Default Startup View" is set to platforms and not Platform Categories.

333393344_Screenshot(16).thumb.png.555598b2753c0506cb2bd56fa638e1f7.png

I changed the startup view to platforms and unchecked hide auto-generated playlists under Options > Views, but it's not displaying platforms in the wheel. The top-level menu shows playlists. The good news is games do show, but it appears only for arcade? Screenshots attached. I will try to build a new tree under platform category to see if that helps. @Jason Carr @neil9000 Thank you for the help. 

bb menu.png

lbplatform.png

options.png