LaunchBox Community Forums

Trouble launching a CEMU game

Fry

Howdy, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help  troubleshoot a game that is not loading.  The game is Guacamelee for WiiU (CEMU).  I have two CEMU executables (1.15.4 and 1.14.0).  All of my WiiU games that point to 1.15.4 are launching fine from Launchbox.  Guacamelee is the only one that points to 1.14.0 (because there's a regression in the latest version but it works fine in 1.14.0).  I can launch the game via CEMU 1.14.0 and play no problem.  In LaunchBox, I just created a 2nd emulator with all the same settings but pointing to the other executable.  When I launch the game via LaunchBox I see CEMU pop up and start loading the shader cache and then there's a flicker and it goes away.  I tried removing my autohotkey script and disabling game startup screens just to make sure but the same behavior occurs.  I also tried deleting the game from LaunchBox and reimporting it but still got the same behavior.

I enabled logging and I see an exception in there but I don't think that's the issue because I see the same exception when I load a game that's working.  Is there anything anyone can see in the logs that indicates why the game is closing?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

CEMU 1.14.0 Setup.png

CEMU 1.15.4 Setup.png

Debug 2019-04-14 07-56-16 PM.log

Edited by Fry

I see you have checked the "Default Emulator" option in the CEMU emulator name set up. That check box will tell launchbox the games in the Wii U platform must use the default. 

When you right click and edit Guacamelee in the emulation tab you do have it pointed to the CEMU 1.14.0 correct? It sounds like you do based on your description. I would double check just in case. 

Also if you right click the game does it show options to launch with either of the 2 cemu setups you have? If it does and you choose the correct one from there does the same issue happen?

• Like 1

Check your CEMU settings in 1.14.0.  If you have something different, try setting your custom timer and MM Timer Accuracy to Cemu default/system default and see if the game launches ok from within LB.  I find that if you change those settings to others it sometimes prevent games from launching via command line tools such as launchbox, while they still launch fine from Cemu itself (as you describe in the issue you're having)

Edited by CDBlue
  • Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

I see you have checked the "Default Emulator" option in the CEMU emulator name set up. That check box will tell launchbox the games in the Wii U platform must use the default. 

I thought it just sets the default emulator that will be assigned to a game when you import a new game for a given platform.  Is it doing more than that?  

When you right click and edit Guacamelee in the emulation tab you do have it pointed to the CEMU 1.14.0 correct? It sounds like you do based on your description. I would double check just in case. 

I did confirm that it's pointing to 1.14.0.  And if I change it to 1.15.4, it will launch but the issue with this game and CEMU occurs where it just hangs on a black screen.  

Also if you right click the game does it show options to launch with either of the 2 cemu setups you have? If it does and you choose the correct one from there does the same issue happen?

Yes, I can right click and choose which emulator to use.  I can choose 1.14.0 and it does that same thing where it starts and stops.  I can choose 1.15.4 and it launches successfully but hangs on the black screen.

19 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

Check your CEMU settings in 1.14.0.  If you have something different, try setting your custom timer and MM Timer Accuracy to Cemu default/system default and see if the game launches ok from within LB.  I find that if you change those settings to others it sometimes prevent games from launching via command line tools such as launchbox, while they still launch fine from Cemu itself (as you describe in the issue you're having)

Thanks for the suggestion.  I took Launchbox out of the picture and I see the same behavior when I try to launch from command line so it's something with CEMU and not Launchbox.  I can see the crash in CEMU's log file now so I think it's clearly a problem with my CEMU setup.  It's interesting that it loads fine using the application but only crashes from command line.  I will tinker with CEMU settings and see what I can figure out. 

You're the man, CDBlue.  I compared working and non-working log files and saw this in the non-working log file: 

[19:17:04] Custom timer mode: QPC

Changed the Debug > Custom Timer to Default and everything is working.  Thanks again guys, you rock!

• 11 months later...

Looks like I'm a little late to join this conversation.

I have too am having problems launching the game just directly through CEMU, and just can't seem to figure out why. I've ensured that the custom timer and the MMI Timer Accuracy are both set to default. I've tried tinkering with the API options, sound options, V-syn options, etc. I've even tried changing property setting on the .exe file, and I still keep getting the same results.

The game loads up without crashing, and shows the title screen. It then shows the skull icon with the auto save message, and just goes to black. To be honest, I cannot remember the last version of CEMU in which it has worked, but it has been bit.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Guacamelee might be in a broken state right now. The Cumu compatibility page does show it as working, but when you click on it for details there are no working reports listed... so my guess is that it is not in a working state.  FYI, it does not launch for me either.