LaunchBox Community Forums

Mupen64Plus or Project64 for n64?

Avenger

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Have you, or are you planning on using retroarch in your setup?

I don’t plan on having too many platforms besides MAME so I wasn’t planning on it.  Do you recommend it for just N64?  Is it easy to set up? (Any tutorials?). Or do you think its better to use standalone mupen64plus or prject 64.  I think retroarch has a mupen64 core but I really don’t know much about retoarch and never set it up before.

1 minute ago, Avenger said:

I don’t plan on having too many platforms besides MAME so I wasn’t planning on it.  Do you recommend it for just N64?  Is it easy to set up? (Any tutorials?). Or do you think its better to use standalone mupen64plus or prject 64.  I think retroarch has a mupen64 core but I really don’t know much about retoarch and never set it up before.

Well, on this occasion i think maybe the mupen64plus may be better for you if you will not be having other systems. Thats why i brought it up, it supports many systems all with a unified UI and controller setup across all those systems it supports. If you are not interested in those though then a standalone may be better in your case. Ill tag @Lordmonkus here for his thought on this as i know he uses, or at least has used the standalone, so maybe he can elaborate on pluses/minuses of the standalone over the Retroarch core.

26 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I would suggest the Retroarch core at this point in time, the person behind Mupen64plus has recently put it behind a Patreon paywall of 1$. If you are ok with giving that 1$ to the Patreon then it is a very good choice but that's a decision up to you.

I’ll pay the $1.  Is there a tutorial around for setting up retroarch with launchpad?  Do I set retroarch standalone first then invoke it from LaunchBox? (Taking a guess).  I also understand the emulation can be a little glitchy with the N64.  Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yeah we have tutorial videos on the YouTube channel.

Yes, you should always do this with any emulator.

Yup, always rule of thumb, get your game working in the emulator first, it isolates a ton of issues if it then doesnt immediately run from Launchbox.

42 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yeah we have tutorial videos on the YouTube channel.

Yes, you should always do this with any emulator.

I found a tutorial for Retroarch 1.7 on the YouTube channel.  I think it should be okay.  I’ll give it a shot.  Thanks.

Just now, Avenger said:

I found a tutorial for Retroarch 1.7 on the YouTube channel.  I think it should be okay.  I’ll give it a shot.  Thanks.

We often get users following that and then running here saying it no worky. :)

There are always reasons for that though, you have come across intelligent enough in the threads we have chatted in, so easy setup for you.

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

I would suggest the Retroarch core at this point in time, the person behind Mupen64plus has recently put it behind a Patreon paywall of 1$. If you are ok with giving that 1$ to the Patreon then it is a very good choice but that's a decision up to you.

By the way, can you point me where to find that core for $1?

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

It's not the core, it's the full stand alone build with the GlideN64 plugin. https://m64p.github.io/

The GlideN64 plugin is the secret sauce right now to make N64 emulation the best it can be currently and that plugin is baked into the core as well.

Oh I got confused.  I thought he was selling a retroarch core.  I read your post wrong.  Does the standalone build play nice with LaunchBox?

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yeah it works great.

I’ll try it later and let you know how it turns out.  I viewed the retroarch tutorial so I have an idea of how to add a emulator and then the games.  BTW, your MAME integration is really top notch.  I like how you support all the genres like in catver.ini so you can find what you want.  It is essential for MAME where there are thousands of games to sift through.   

53 minutes ago, Avenger said:

I’ll try it later and let you know how it turns out.  I viewed the retroarch tutorial so I have an idea of how to add a emulator and then the games.  BTW, your MAME integration is really top notch.  I like how you support all the genres like in catver.ini so you can find what you want.  It is essential for MAME where there are thousands of games to sift through.   

Yup, that was in the last poll,"better mame intergration! and here we are. It works great.

3 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yeah it works great.

I donated to the Patreon and got the program.  There doesn’t seem to be any instructions for command line arguments and it does’t seem to take the default -nogui -f -g for the standard version of the program.  May I ask what arguments you use to start it full screen?  It runs the rom now but in the GUI window.