LaunchBox Community Forums

HLSL megathread!

Retrofrogg

As well as getting the emulation of a game as accurate as possible, I like the look of the game to be as true to the original as possible. I've therefore been working on getting the perfect HLSL (shader) settings in MAME to try and replicate as much as possible the look of an arcade monitor. I know that every arcade machine was a little different and that it also depends on your own monitor, though my aim is to have something looking reasonably authentic.

This thread is to post screenshots of your games to show your HLSL settings, and perhaps to share your HSLS settings. I'll start with some screenshots of my Neo Geo games running in MAME. I'm trying to emulate the curvature, scanlines, and other CRT artefacts as well as the glass of the monitor itself, reflections and also the game bezels (in cropped mode so that the game screen is larger). The bezelz here are by Orionsangel. I based these HLSL settings on another person's settings, who was aiming to replicate an arcade monitor as much as possible, and then tweaked the settings to my liking.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves:

garou2.thumb.jpg.9400ebe0d5d36e1be8126a1c0b0be8ca.jpgBlue's Journey:

blues.thumb.jpg.24e8c49b0cc4dc61f72d903b19e45780.jpgArt of Fighting:

AOF3.thumb.jpg.4ab9d3bbb4034d915ae3e9495465d411.jpgAero Fighters 2:

AF2.thumb.jpg.876b64ce3563952bdd15924bdde089d3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 5:20 PM, Retrofrogg said:

As well as getting the emulation of a game as accurate as possible, I like the look of the game to be as true to the original as possible. I've therefore been working on getting the perfect HLSL (shader) settings in MAME to try and replicate as much as possible the look of an arcade monitor. I know that every arcade machine was a little different and that it also depends on your own monitor, though my aim is to have something looking reasonably authentic.

This thread is to post screenshots of your games to show your HLSL settings, and perhaps to share your HSLS settings. I'll start with some screenshots of my Neo Geo games running in MAME. I'm trying to emulate the curvature, scanlines, and other CRT artefacts as well as the glass of the monitor itself, reflections and also the game bezels (in cropped mode so that the game screen is larger). The bezelz here are by Orionsangel. I based these HLSL settings on another person's settings, who was aiming to replicate an arcade monitor as much as possible, and then tweaked the settings to my liking.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves:

garou2.thumb.jpg.9400ebe0d5d36e1be8126a1c0b0be8ca.jpgBlue's Journey:

blues.thumb.jpg.24e8c49b0cc4dc61f72d903b19e45780.jpgArt of Fighting:

AOF3.thumb.jpg.4ab9d3bbb4034d915ae3e9495465d411.jpgAero Fighters 2:

AF2.thumb.jpg.876b64ce3563952bdd15924bdde089d3.jpg

Wow! Looks amazing! How you did it? I've tried everything, changing all ini params and I get nothing compare with your screenshots...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

i love the scanline effects of the old arcade games...brings back so many memories...

im using mame ver 0.209 now hlsl is enabled and when in game i can bring up the menu and go to slider menu and go down to scanlines and turn the up and tweak them to how i like.

but when i exit the game and go to load it again there are no scanlines.. i have to manually set them every time i play a game?

what am i missing? cheers

1 hour ago, crispy said:

i can bring up the menu and go to slider menu and go down to scanlines and turn the up and tweak them to how i like.

but when i exit the game and go to load it again there are no scanlines.

Changing the sliders doesn't and never has saved out to the raster.ini or mame.ini file at all.

You have to take note of the changes you made and like and then put those settings in the raster.ini and vector.ini files depending on which type of game it is for.

14 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Changing the sliders doesn't and never has saved out to the raster.ini or mame.ini file at all.

You have to take note of the changes you made and like and then put those settings in the raster.ini and vector.ini files depending on which type of game it is for.

Thanks for the info..

The only slider i change is scanline amount.. from 0.00 to 1.00. now both in raster and vector ini there is no scanline amount line?

I just loaded up Mame and Altered Beast and went to the scanline amount slider in the video options and moved the slider from left (0.0_ to all the way right (1.0) and it goes from 0 scanlines to really dark ones, there is a noticeable difference. It doesn't make more scanlines, that is not something it can do. Scanline amount is set in the raster.ini using the scanline_alpha setting.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar question. I change the cubic and quadratic curvature settings but they don't save. How can I setup separate settings for each game? 

(Also, a side question: How do I get bezels to work. I downloaded a bezel put it in my artwork folder but nothing in game. I'm using BigBox.