LaunchBox Community Forums

Clarification on how controller automation works

Juzzotec

Hi Guys

After reading many topics on controller automation, I have established that it does not use Autohotkey anymore.

So my question is, how does it work and what command does it send? Escape, Winclose etc etc

The reason I ask is because I’m currently working on Taito Type X games which launch via an exe file and they cause all sorts of problems when exiting using controller automation button combination but work just fine when escape on keyboard is pressed.

@Jason Carr can you please provide some details

Also would be nice to select what command this sends per game, emulator etc... I guess for exe file games, per game would be good.

Thank you

Edited by Juzzotec

Controller Automation actually sends different keys depending on the emulator/game that is focused, but in most cases it just sends Escape. If it's DOSBox, it will send Ctrl+F9, since that's the key combo that DOSBox requires. Also, if after pressing Escape the emulator has not closed, it will try Alt+F4.

Basically, if the emulator isn't recognized (which is what will happen with GameLoader), it will send Escape, wait half a second, check if LaunchBox is focused, and if not then send Alt+F4. Regardless, I know there are some stubborn applications (MAME, for example), that refuse to accept the virtual keypresses that we send. For some reason they will only accept hardware key presses, so maybe that's what's going on?

In the future I'm sure we can expand it, but it'll probably be a while yet.

10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Controller Automation actually sends different keys depending on the emulator/game that is focused, but in most cases it just sends Escape. If it's DOSBox, it will send Ctrl+F9, since that's the key combo that DOSBox requires. Also, if after pressing Escape the emulator has not closed, it will try Alt+F4.

Basically, if the emulator isn't recognized (which is what will happen with GameLoader), it will send Escape, wait half a second, check if LaunchBox is focused, and if not then send Alt+F4. Regardless, I know there are some stubborn applications (MAME, for example), that refuse to accept the virtual keypresses that we send. For some reason they will only accept hardware key presses, so maybe that's what's going on?

In the future I'm sure we can expand it, but it'll probably be a while yet.

Thanks for that detailed write up @Jason Carr

So as you explained, escape will be sent to Game Loader? Maybe it’s not working because like MAME it doesn’t like virtual key presses. Keep in mind I don’t have an emulator set but rather an application the exe defined for each game. I also get the warning that I have no emulator set when I edit the game but I click no, as all I am doing is launching an exe.

I can test setting up a button press as a virtual escape keyboard press. I’ll try this tonight.

Edited by Juzzotec

6 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

What do you mean by this.

I use my PS4 controller through Bluetooth. And in windows there’s an amazing app called inputmapper that treats it like a native Xbox controller.

Within the app, there’s a profile setting that allows you to setup virtual keyboard presses and even macros for specific buttons. I will assign the escape button for R3 as an example and test.

Just now, Juzzotec said:

I use my PS4 controller through Bluetooth. And in windows there’s an amazing app called inputmapper that treats it like a native Xbox controller.

Within the app, there’s a profile setting that allows you to setup virtual keyboard presses and even macros for specific buttons. I will assign the escape button for R3 as an example and test.

oh okay different to me then at the moment I'm just using keyboard ESC any other key set with Game Loader ALL RH crashes the game in LB/BB for me you know the usual pop-up make sure no other loader is present etc etc etc.

I plan to use Xbox controller and cabinet buttons later though.

Just wondering what version of Game Loader ALL RH are you using?

3 hours ago, wallmachine said:

oh okay different to me then at the moment I'm just using keyboard ESC any other key set with Game Loader ALL RH crashes the game in LB/BB for me you know the usual pop-up make sure no other loader is present etc etc etc.

I plan to use Xbox controller and cabinet buttons later though.

Just wondering what version of Game Loader ALL RH are you using?

I’m was using the latest version 3.3.3 of Game Loader All RH but not anymore since it doesn’t play nice with LaunchBox. So JConfig, IDMac and JVS Loader is my go to now.

You really need at the least a Gamepad or arcade stick for these titles. I’ve had no issues configuring an Xbox controller in JConfig or TTX Config. I use DInput option FYI.

7 minutes ago, Juzzotec said:

I’m was using the latest version 3.3.3 of Game Loader All RH but not anymore since it doesn’t play nice with LaunchBox. So JConfig, IDMac and JVS Loader is my go to now.

You really need at the least a Gamepad or arcade stick for these titles. I’ve had no issues configuring an Xbox controller in JConfig or TTX Config. I use DInput option FYI.

so shutdown themes are working with JVS loader now?

I might not yet go over to JVS because of the lack of options with it and do not feel like setting everything up again with 200+ games that had to be done manually in Game Loader and then again in JVS.

3 hours ago, wallmachine said:

so shutdown themes are working with JVS loader now?

I might not yet go over to JVS because of the lack of options with it and do not feel like setting everything up again with 200+ games that had to be done manually in Game Loader and then again in JVS.

Just hold off for now, let’s see if Jason can work it out. Game Loader has awesome features.

• Game On 1

@Jason Carr So I tested assigning the R3 button as the keyboard escape key and this exits the application EXE smoothly back to Bigbox.

It seems to accept the virtual escape keyboard press, I've attached the screenshot of Inputmapper.

Is there anyway I could check the logs to see whats happening in Launchbox/Bigbox...

Capture1.thumb.PNG.7db043fd0c56e5a8e0912befbaa443fc.PNGI also attached screenshots of my setup - an example Taito Nesica game in Launchbox.

Capture2.thumb.PNG.a4cbfa4640324784e2d72f5141d84352.PNGCapture3.thumb.PNG.9267d023ea4d1cc4d18e4841191b17c6.PNGCapture4.thumb.PNG.4a1fbd5ef874070519b3c905851b54d9.PNG