LaunchBox Community Forums

CHD Files

superdavit

Getting my MAME up and going.  Just got a bunch of .chd files, which I put into an identically-named folder as the rom.  However, let's say for NFL Blitz, I've got a zip file.  Inside is a 'blitz1_2.u32' and 'sound102.u95' file.  Are these files necessary?  Should I put them into the same folder as the .CHD file?  Thanks so much!!

CHDs are "chunks of hard drive" so they are in general sense just data or a "big disk drive". In most cases, the CHDs need their associated ROM zip file since that is the "brain" ROM. So except in a few special cases, you need both. You also shouldn't mess with the internal zip files (or unzip them) since those are needed (example in your post is one is sound rom, other is main rom). 

For most part, if the game launches and MAME doesn't whine about missing files, then leave things as is.  You would need a ROM Manager if you want to do work with the zips (i.e., updates) and not mess them up.  MAME uses "sets" (i.e., merged, unmerged, split) and those need to be consistent or you will wind up with potentially missing needed parts and pieces. I think there are almost 300,000 files in the main MAME ROM full set if one was crazy enough to unzip them all.

By default, CHDs need to be in the same ROM directory as all the other ROMs (as you noted with same name as primary zip) unless you have told MAME otherwise in the MAME.ini file (via the rompath setting).  Lastly, a lot of the CHD games are not in working status so have to take that into consideration if wondering why don't see more CHD games than what you see folder wise in ROM directory.

Edited by sundogak

Thanks for the thorough reply.  Yeah, I'm getting those .CHD files running properly, which is cool.  Just wasn't sure about those .zip files and what was inside.  The system plays the games with just the .CHD files, and nothing bad happens when I put the files from the .zip files as well.  Figure I'd just leave everything there because why not.

Again, I appreciate your help.