LaunchBox Community Forums

Image priorities for lcd marquee

drewjbx

I have a 2nd monitor for my marquee on my 4 player cab. I do have hyperspin along with hyper marquee and EDS running pretty good along with LED blinky. I have been getting to really like BigBox and will eventually make it my main FE, right now I have both. I am using 'Unified' theme.

Is there some documentation or instructions on how image priority works for BB. Right now I am just testing 1 system, Colecovision... I have an image for 'banner' which will display when the platform is highlighted. When I go to game menu I will see the clear logo displayed with only a black background. Is there anyway to just show the 'banner' image when scrolling through console games? Quite a few of my wheel logos are low quality. Or is there a way to display a default background and have the game logo displayed over it when scrolling? For game titles that don't have a marquee image. (this is how hypermarquee is setup, would like to be able to do this like in pics below, static background pic, then clear logos when scrolling)  

default.thumb.png.0995e59bdfb498875de23dc920a89cf0.png

Edited by drewjbx

Right now there is no way to set banner image or set a default background with logos changing out over it. Jason has mentioned he will get to some updates for marquee support but for now he is trying to finish up the items that got the top votes from last year's user poll. Marquee support just missed out on making that list. I have been waiting patiently for quite some time on some updates to marquee options. Hopefully soon. 

For image priorities related to the marquee BigBox pulls first images from the Arcade - Marquee folder and then it looks like in absence of an image in that folder it follows what you have set for your Box priorities. 

Ok I see, yah it would take forever to create marquee images for each and every game for the consoles, I know there are some sets out there but a static background with a wheel over it in the front end is the answer. For now I will play with the priorities, trying to just display a static marquee image while scrolling the gamelists, its ok not seeing the wheel as it will be on the main display. Not sure if that's possible?

371884199_NintendoEntertainmentSystem.thumb.png.9314567384d1969079a9f60dc9a50d80.png

Looks like I got LB to display the marquee image I want across all games, image view 'background', with the image placed in the 'fanart' folder. But when in big box the game's boxart is displayed on the marquee rather than the marquee image as seen in LB. Is this not possible in BB?Untitled.thumb.png.7d5c7c149e39fdac4d2176b4c4b86f41.png

30 minutes ago, drewjbx said:

Looks like I got LB to display the marquee image I want across all games, image view 'background', with the image placed in the 'fanart' folder. But when in big box the game's boxart is displayed on the marquee rather than the marquee image as seen in LB. Is this not possible in BB?

Yes, there currently are no settings we can adjust to get marquee images a certain way. I have tried editing a theme to get it to work, only partial success. I could get the clear logo shown, but never a static background image. It would always default to the marquee image or the next priority. So, we have to wait until Jason is ready to take on updates to marquee images and priorities. He did say it will be coming.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Yes, there currently are no settings we can adjust to get marquee images a certain way. I have tried editing a theme to get it to work, only partial success. I could get the clear logo shown, but never a static background image. It would always default to the marquee image or the next priority. So, we have to wait until Jason is ready to take on updates to marquee images and priorities. He did say it will be coming.

Ok that's what I needed to know.. will just have to wait. 

Edited by drewjbx

• 2 weeks later...

@drewjbx I might have something working on this. Jason gave me some direction and so far so good. Not exactly as you mentioned, showing the marquee if one exists and if not show the static image then clear logo over it.

I am testing it now and it does show a static image and then the clear logo scrolls with each game. Not promising anything as I am a novice at this coding stuff, but I do use a marquee so this is something I am interested in.

3 hours ago, drewjbx said:

Hey how is this coming along, this would be great to get this working. I'm no coder at all but I do have a good collection of marquee artwork to share! 

I have it working with just static images and clear logos. Trying to figure out prioritization to see if I can get it to first show the marquee image if one exists in the marquee folder and then if not, fallback to the static image and clear logo.

22 hours ago, Retro808 said:

I have it working with just static images and clear logos. Trying to figure out prioritization to see if I can get it to first show the marquee image if one exists in the marquee folder and then if not, fallback to the static image and clear logo.

Nice work, that's perfect. Like you mentioned the prioritization if no marquee image existing and having it load logo and static image....  I think would mostly be needed for MAME or arcade systems. IMO the console/handhelds/PC are good with logo and static image... Although some PC games might deserve their own marquee like Tekken 7, SFV, etc...

On 6/25/2019 at 6:30 PM, Retro808 said:

@drewjbx I might have something working on this. Jason gave me some direction and so far so good. Not exactly as you mentioned, showing the marquee if one exists and if not show the static image then clear logo over it.

I am testing it now and it does show a static image and then the clear logo scrolls with each game. Not promising anything as I am a novice at this coding stuff, but I do use a marquee so this is something I am interested in.

Don't want to derail the thread but just curious - what programming language is LaunchBox, et al written in?

• 3 weeks later...