LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel support

spyksaturn

I'm just full of questions as of late... So I've done as much googling as I can. From what I can see, I would have to use retroarch (which I hate) or use rocket launcher in conjunction with launch box (which I bet would be a big waste of time to reset all that just for bezels) in order to use this for more than just mame games on stand alone emulators? Any way around this or to just use the bezel feature on rocket launcher without having to go through all that setup? Any stand alone bezel implement programs out there?

IMO, Retroarch is your best bet if you aren't currently fluent in RocketLauncher. There should be plenty of people here who can help get you up and running with Retroarch.

Retroarch can be intimidating, but it isn't that difficult to come up to speed once you get some guidance. You can ignore much of its power/functions if you aren't interested in customizing things.

I haven't had as much luck compatibility wise with retroarch as I have with stand alone emulators. Good example is mednafen for Saturn or project 64 for N64 (especially since p64 let's you do specific settings game specific). I'm also a huge fan of upscaling the games. I haven't experimented much with retroarch there but the ease of it with the stand alone is pretty nice. 

It's not that I'm not fluent in r launcher. I migrated here from hyperspin. I just prefer launchbox over everything that I would hate to have to set everything up on there as well with the amount of games and time that would take after just getting everything on launch box perfect. 

Edited by spyksaturn

Just now, spyksaturn said:

I haven't had as much luck compatibility wise with retroarch as I have with stand alone emulators. Good example is mednafen for Saturn or project 64 for N64 (especially since p64 let's you do specific settings game specific). I'm also a huge fan of upscaling the games. I haven't experimented much with retroarch there but the ease of it with the stand alone is pretty nice. 

Retroarch has per core/emulator and per game settings, it can also upscale N64. Saturn is great with the beetle saturn core, but you need a fast cpu and you cant upscale that one.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Retroarch has per core/emulator and per game settings, it can also upscale N64. Saturn is great with the beetle saturn core, but you need a fast cpu and you cant upscale that one.

Hmmm well I have an i7 8700 so I'm not too worried about that. Maybe I could give it a shot. How compatible is beetle in comparison to mednafen?

Edited by spyksaturn

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I guess when I say upscale my terminology isn't entirely accurate. It's more like using shaders/filters to give it that hd smooth look

4 minutes ago, spyksaturn said:

Hmmm well I have an i7 8700 so I'm not too worried about that. Maybe I could give it a shot. How compatible is beetle in comparison to mednafen?

Beetle IS mednafen, they have to change the name in retroarch, so all the mednafen cores are called beetle.

1 minute ago, spyksaturn said:

What confused me last time is which core for which system to use. Anywhere I can go to find out what the highest resolution/compatibility of each system is?

If you have a decent PC then use the beetle cores, and HIGAN for SNES, MESEN for NES, and mupen 64 next for N64. This image below is Wave Race 64 upscaled in mupen 64 next, running at 4K.

1228663820_WaveRace64-KawasakiJetSki(USA)-190624-191306.thumb.png.cdea70f6b619e99246a9011cec7f8c27.png

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Beetle IS mednafen, they have to change the name in retroarch, so all the mednafen cores are called beetle.

If you have a decent PC then use the beetle cores, and HIGAN for SNES, MESEN for NES, and mupen 64 next for N64. This image below is Wave Race 64 upscaled in mupen 64 next, running at 4K.

1228663820_WaveRace64-KawasakiJetSki(USA)-190624-191306.thumb.png.cdea70f6b619e99246a9011cec7f8c27.png

I will give this a shot. Can you mess with filters and shaders?

2 minutes ago, spyksaturn said:

One last question because I am having an issue with mgba with this. Say I'm playing Pokemon and I want to trade between two ROMs. Do any cores support this function?

That i cant answer as i dont play pokemon, you'll have to google that one im afraid.