LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a NeoGeo unibios set to USA/AES as default?

DaveC1964

Every time I start a Neo Geo game using Retroarch FBA with uniBIOS it starts as a default of Europe/MVS.  I know I can change it by messing with the menu by hittiing a button combo but is there a BIOS version that automatically starts in US/AES so I don't need to mess with the settings for every game?

Edited by DaveC1964

I was actually messing around with this a couple of nights ago and from what I can figure out there is no way to do this with FBA and the Unibios. From what I understand the Unibios requires a NeoGeo memory card to save its settings to and I don't believe this function is emulated. Of course I could be completely wrong and missed something in my internet searching.

Now having said all that you can have NeoGeo games load up in AES mode with whatever region you want using the real bios in Mame. The first thing you want is the aes.zip bios file and put that in the folder with your game roms. You will also want to setup a new emulator entry in LB for this because it requires a box checked that Mame does not like for arcade games. You want to have the "Use file name only" box checked.screenshot_17.thumb.jpg.d31ee5ad1f6a14b21d3eb74ee38cbb1d.jpgNow for the command line you want:

aes %romfile% -bios usa

screenshot_19.thumb.jpg.2613f274e00e9847729383a963759a22.jpgChange usa to japan if you want that region version to load.

• Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
On 7/2/2019 at 12:42 AM, Lordmonkus said:

Works perfectly, though just as a side comment:

I can understand that in some instances it is helpful to have separate instances of an emulator if major setup changes are present, but for something this simple it is a bit silly. This easily could be avoided if there was an option to toggle these check boxes per "Associated Platform" within each emulator, or a second standard variable named something like %romname% that can be used in place of %romfile% so that only the name can be used on a per-platform basis.