LaunchBox Community Forums

Confused about 'Mame Full Set' import filtering

kal9000

I've recently just imported a verified full set for mame for the latest version of mame, 2.11.  I really appreciate having the feature in launchbox to automatically filter out non-working games; adult games, etc. However, I'm not at all clear where it's getting this info from. As the data changes with each Mame release, how is launchbox staying up to date? I imagine the best way would be for launchbox to run the installed mame executable to build it's list, but I'm not sure that it's doing that.

I have noticed at least one example of a game that is working in Mame that doesn't show up after a full import, 'Pang'. When you look up the rom in mame, it is classified as fully working, and sure enough it runs no problem. However, it's nowhere to be found in launchbox after a full import, which leads me to believe it's being filtered out by one it's rules during import. Any idea why this is happening?

It pulls it from mame.xml file in your \Launchbox\Metadata which Jason updates every month after the new releases. He gets its straight from the source.

So it is best to only use the Full Set Importer with the latest sets.

As for Pang, is it being imported as Buster Bros which is the other name of the game ?

I honestly cannot speak on it beyond what I have said. I am not a programmer and I have no clue what exactly Jason is doing in the code behind the scenes so I have no clue whether or not you could make use of previous xml files.

I am advocating for more user choice with regards to different rom set versions and allowing users to input an xml file and appropriate rom set.

• Like 1

I hope for import of older sets also. My main need was covered with mame 0.196 with the implementation of true Taito C-chip emulation, enabling me to enjoy titles like Rainbow Island and Bonze Adventure. I never found a true 0.196 set, but I got a 0.199 set and a matching mame64. I would love to have Launchbox accept the dat-file which I can export from my mame.

I was not aware about Launchbox only supporting the newest romset, and in my personal case it would be somewhat overkill... I am sure that the newest mame is very nice, but since I run from an outdated NUC I try to tone it down a bit ?

LB uses the data from the latest version of MAME but you can import any set you want you can still use the MAME importer if you want but then you might get entries for working games that you don't even have in your ROM set. You can just import MAME the old fashion way and just drag and drop the ROMs into LB then it will start the regular import and will only import the working games that you have.

On 7/19/2019 at 1:00 AM, DOS76 said:

LB uses the data from the latest version of MAME but you can import any set you want you can still use the MAME importer if you want but then you might get entries for working games that you don't even have in your ROM set. You can just import MAME the old fashion way and just drag and drop the ROMs into LB then it will start the regular import and will only import the working games that you have.

Nice, thx :) I will have to peel away all the adult/magjong stuff manually somehow, but from there i can just import "traditionally" into LB. But i kinda still dream about LB with time getting support for .dat or .xml some way :)