LaunchBox Community Forums

TurboGrafx games not launching from LB/BB

Sturm

The TurboGrafx-16 and TurboGrafx-CD games that I have do work just fine in RetroArch, so long as I load the core manually and load the content manually in RetroArch. Attempting to launch any game from those platforms from LaunchBox or BigBox silently fails. I get the "now loading…" screen fade-in, then it fades back out to LaunchBox.

Other systems that use RetroArch work just fine from LB/BB. Why is it just TG16/TGCD? Can anyone please help me to figure out why this is happening?

And there it is. The "NEC " needed to be in the title of the associated platform.

I had missed this because I recently rebuilt my library of TurboGrafx games and it automatically put "NEC " in the platform name, but didn't change the old name in RetroArch's "Associated Platforms" list. As a side note, I feel like perhaps the platform name in that list should be a dropdown list rather than an editable textbox, as that can lead to typo issues not unlike the one I just had.

Thank you for catching this, @Lordmonkus!

4 minutes ago, Sturm said:

And there it is. The "NEC " needed to be in the title of the associated platform.

I had missed this because I recently rebuilt my library of TurboGrafx games and it automatically put "NEC " in the platform name, but didn't change the old name in RetroArch's "Associated Platforms" list. As a side note, I feel like perhaps the platform name in that list should be a dropdown list rather than an editable textbox, as that can lead to typo issues not unlike the one I just had.

Thank you for catching this, @Lordmonkus!

Its not a dropdown as you can name platforms anything you like, so if it only used the default names and you named the platform something different, then you would not be able to associate that platform with a core.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Its not a dropdown as you can name platforms anything you like, so if it only used the default names and you named the platform something different, then you would not be able to associate that platform with a core.

This is heading into an off-topic direction, so I probably won't say any more on the matter after this.

The names you give the platforms can still be completely custom. LaunchBox stores them somewhere, presumably a database of some sort. So if whatever name you give a platform is stored, the dropdown in the "Associated Platforms" table can just tap into that database to get the list of names you've given your platforms.

They could even be bi-directionally linked. So make it a combo box instead of just a straight textbox or dropdown. Then, if you change the name of the platform in the combo box in the "Associated Platforms" list, then it automatically updates the platform name to be the same.

This is just me spitballing, of course, and knowing only a little about programming by being an amateur web developer. Seems like it could be doable, though.