LaunchBox Community Forums

nfo files importing as games, and parsing media from packs?

zoemorn

First post on the forums!  sorry if its  noob-duh - i did do searches against the forum first but didnt see the answer on my initial tries. two questions:

1. I'm importing  rom packs that have more than just the rom file (nds in this case): they also have some media as well as a .nfo file - the .nfo file is being seen by LB as a game (see screenshot). I even tried to open it in LB and as expected nothing happened. (opening the actual game worked fine, so the emu is fine) - just asking to see if anyone else has observed LB parsing an nfo file as a game? and what are my options (cuz... i have a lot of em' lol, clean up will be gross)

2. the media that is in the zip... i did confirm that LB didnt automagically see and parse it to media for the game - which i expected as i hadn't see that mentioned as a feature before, unless it actually can per some prereqs not met by this pack.. i presume if i want to use that media i'll have to unpack and manually throw them into the LB media folders? (i have NOT forum searched this part of my question, so feel free to slap and say "this is covered in the noob section, go look there")

thank you LB creators and supporters and fans. after many years of wanting to do a big retro game build, finally getting around to it!

image.thumb.png.a5ba0db433ea358e36bf97334420a340.png

Edited by zoemorn
added tags

10 minutes ago, zoemorn said:

1. I'm importing  rom packs that have more than just the rom file (nds in this case): they also have some media as well as a .nfo file - the .nfo file is being seen by LB as a game (see screenshot). I even tried to open it in LB and as expected nothing happened. (opening the actual game worked fine, so the emu is fine) - just asking to see if anyone else has observed LB parsing an nfo file as a game? and what are my options (cuz... i have a lot of em' lol, clean up will be gross)

Launchbox will import any file type you tell it to, it doesnt care the type if you told it to import a folder it will import all files from said folder. The best and easiest way is to use the windows search and drag and drop the files, so for example in this case go to you DS folder and type *.nds into the windows search, highlite all the results and drag and drop onto Launchbox to start the import wizard. Best way would be to delete the platform and re-import it correctly and uncheck all media downloads as you already have it all, it will all re-attach after.

10 minutes ago, zoemorn said:

2. the media that is in the zip... i did confirm that LB didnt automagically see and parse it to media for the game - which i expected as i hadn't see that mentioned as a feature before, unless it actually can per some prereqs not met by this pack.. i presume if i want to use that media i'll have to unpack and manually throw them into the LB media folders? (i have NOT forum searched this part of my question, so feel free to slap and say "this is covered in the noob section, go look there")

Media should never be zipped in Launchbox, all platforms and image types have there own folders for media, and they use specific naming, so if your image names dont match they still wont work correctly even if unzipped.

@neil9000

Thanks for the replies! - i do actually try to get no-intro typically and had not run into the false game app generation based on a non-rom file yet so apparently i've done good to just get those kind of sets thus far. but thanks for that clarification that its not a bug, just normal oob behavior.

So my nds sets  are a a mixed bag, some are no intro but some arent. its also a very large set. so i'll have to decide whether to re-source or do a bunch of manual sorting around.   Would probably save me a lot of time just grabbing a different set vs the manual labor of splitting out the roms and & the media to where they need to go.   

14 minutes ago, zoemorn said:

@neil9000

Thanks for the replies! - i do actually try to get no-intro typically and had not run into the false game app generation based on a non-rom file yet so apparently i've done good to just get those kind of sets thus far. but thanks for that clarification that its not a bug, just normal oob behavior.

So my nds sets  are a a mixed bag, some are no intro but some arent. its also a very large set. so i'll have to decide whether to re-source or do a bunch of manual sorting around.   Would probably save me a lot of time just grabbing a different set vs the manual labor of splitting out the roms and & the media to where they need to go.   

Launchbox will scrape the media and place it in the correct location, so i would just use what Launchbox downloads.