LaunchBox Community Forums

what is this- Retroarch- pause screen?

zoemorn

so i press hold and a key that i believe is to show a pause screen, which, this does look like a type of pause screen although i thought the pause screen was the more menu like screen that gave options to save state etc.

anyway, whatever this screen is, i can never get out of it thru the controller. trying to use the close active window hotkey just throws up a quick hour glass and seemingly nothing. i have to pull out the wirelss keyboard and escape out revealing that retroarch is still running and i have to kill it manually. the hotkey for 'show launchbox' seems to work but again just shows retroarch still running with this frozen state as seen in the pic.

someone clue this noob in! :) thanksInkedwhatisthis-retroarch_LI.thumb.jpg.6a1ea6e02aa4d84a5ce4681ac73566a7.jpg

12 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

That's the Retroarch built in Pause function which is bound to the P key on the keyboard by default.

Thanks for confirming that.

so now i just need to figure out why i cant exit out of that pause screen. and since i'm not hitting p on the keyboard, how is it being triggered when i try to do the LB pause screen

56 minutes ago, zoemorn said:

Thanks for confirming that.

so now i just need to figure out why i cant exit out of that pause screen. and since i'm not hitting p on the keyboard, how is it being triggered when i try to do the LB pause screen

Launchbox is sending "P" in order to pause retroarch and show its own pause screen if you have set a automation combo in Launchbox for the pause screen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Launchbox is sending "P" in order to pause retroarch and show its own pause screen if you have set a automation combo in Launchbox for the pause screen.

aaah, ok well that is enlightening, thanks... so i presume its suppose to send a 'p' again when pressing the automation combo again? ... cuz mine seems to just get stuck in retroarch. well that helps me understand whats supposed to be happening.. thanks.. 

ha @neil9000 you responded again while i was trying to respond.    sweet! thanks for that screenshot, i'll verify.  i bet thats all it is.

Thanks for the help all. Did a few tests and seems to be working ok now, i think my problems came down to bad button mappings or expectations/understandings of those mappings. Sometimes i'd get retroarch paused and while trying to unpause it hit the close active window hotkey and it would bring a Shutdown Windows prompt lol!

i think i need to come up with preferred ps4 controller button mappings that i'll remember.  I'd like to know what other folks do for their button mapping on ps4 controllers.

i was struggling with why the LB pause screen wasnt showing when hitting the hotkey combo i setup for it... then found the LB menu option for Game Pause and amazingly clicking the "Use Game Pause Screen" did the trick lol.  i mean ok i'd seen that before but i guess didnt intuitively realize that this option and the hotkey mapping went together.... especially since theres a "Pause Key" field on that screen which has nothing in it and it doesnt register a button press... anyway just a little confusing but its worked out now. (dang, maybe i should go look at the official documentation, maybe all these screens are actually documented... my bad)

2 minutes ago, zoemorn said:

especially since theres a "Pause Key" field on that screen which has nothing in it and it doesnt register a button press

Thats for a keyboard, if you are using a controller you want to set it in controller automation.

3 minutes ago, zoemorn said:

i think i need to come up with preferred ps4 controller button mappings that i'll remember.  I'd like to know what other folks do for their button mapping on ps4 controllers.

PS4 has the same layout as a xbox controller so nothing really special there, its just personal preference on what you prefer. Personally i hold back/select (share on a PS4 controller) and press A (so X on a PS4 controller).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Thats for a keyboard, if you are using a controller you want to set it in controller automation.

PS4 has the same layout as a xbox controller so nothing really special there, its just personal preference on what you prefer. Personally i hold back/select (share on a PS4 controller) and press A (so X on a PS4 controller).

cool, i may try that too.   originally i had R2 + X  so yea, it acidentally got hit (yknow HOLD... gives impression of HOLD for more than a sec haha).. my kid hit it and game over! :)

i since change to using R3 +  L3 and isnt bad