LaunchBox Community Forums

using 2 Front Ends with Bigbox?

Nicodemus

Strange I know, but I have set up my MAME games using another FE other then BigBox and I like it much better, but I use Bigbox for my console emulation. Is there a way I can switch between the two? here are the Ideas my simple mind came up with :)

1. launch the "other" FE from the platforms menu without having to enter the platform itself to choose a game?

2. Enter the platforms menu and have only 1 "game", that being the "other" FE. I would avoid this option at all cost because it would actually show 8 on the wheel for my theme, looks very bad.

3. Have some sort of custom startup screen for my PC that would allow me to choose to launch directly into Bigbox or the"other" FE? Is this even possible?

4. I have no idea!

I doubt very much that LaunchBox/BigBox can interract with another frontend as you would like.

LaunchBox/BigBox can launch another frontend no problem, as all you're doing here is treating the other frontend's executable as an application similar to, say, a Windows game.
The other frontend, however, needs a platform and I don't believe that LaunchBox or BigBox can detect that a platform contains just one "game" and have it launch directly by clicking on the platform.

Just out of curiosity, what is your other frontend?

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, Nicodemus said:

Strange I know, but I have set up my MAME games using another FE other then BigBox and I like it much better, but I use Bigbox for my console emulation. Is there a way I can switch between the two? here are the Ideas my simple mind came up with :)

1. launch the "other" FE from the platforms menu without having to enter the platform itself to choose a game?

2. Enter the platforms menu and have only 1 "game", that being the "other" FE. I would avoid this option at all cost because it would actually show 8 on the wheel for my theme, looks very bad.

3. Have some sort of custom startup screen for my PC that would allow me to choose to launch directly into Bigbox or the"other" FE? Is this even possible?

4. I have no idea!

Just curious but why do you prefer RetroFE for MAME games? Is there something specific that it can do that BigBox cant? Currently building my own collection, considering all options.