LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox importing ROM clone issue?

dino82

Hello,

I've been fighting with a problem regarding LEDBlinky and I think it may be a Launchbox problem.  For example, when I run TMNT, it's running tmnt2po, not tmnt. I go to check the actual path to the ROM inside of Launchbox and it is tmnt2po.zip but that file doesn't exist, it exists inside of tmnt.zip, and is a clone as shown in the second screenshot, but either Launchbox or LEDBlinky doesn't understand that. Is Launchbox having problems recognizing cloned games and it isn't passing the correct ROM name to LEDBlinky?  Attached is a screenshot of what the LEDBlinky debug troubleshooter says about tmnt2po and the information listed by Launchbox about the game

cjNKpMI.png

tmntwut.png

I set the default to use tmnt.zip and it does clean up the LEDs significantly but still not quite, I think that may be a config issue.

I guess my main concern is that I am not sure how Launchbox decides which clone is the default 'main' clone, as opposed to simply defaulting to the parent game?  Would I need to set each one up individually if I wanted it to work with LEDBlinky, because it needs the name of the actual ROM rather than the clone?

7 hours ago, dino82 said:

I guess my main concern is that I am not sure how Launchbox decides which clone is the default 'main' clone, as opposed to simply defaulting to the parent game?

I believe it goes on your specified region in the import wizard. So if you specified North America as the preferred region and a Parent is Japanese and has a clone that is the North American region version then the clone is set as the default rom. Likewise if you specify North America as your preferred region but a game is only available as a Japan region game, it will still be imported, but obviously without a North American region. At least i think that is how it works.

7 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I believe it goes on your specified region in the import wizard. So if you specified North America as the preferred region and a Parent is Japanese and has a clone that is the North American region version then the clone is set as the default rom. Likewise if you specify North America as your preferred region but a game is only available as a Japan region game, it will still be imported, but obviously without a North American region. At least i think that is how it works.

Yeah that is very possible, along with tie-breakers on multiple releases in the same region, choosing the more recent one perhaps?

I would think Launchbox would still send LEDBlinky the name of the parent ROM (tmnt rather than tmnt2po, or sfa2  rather than sfa2j) so that LEDBlinky can properly assign the button LEDs?

4 hours ago, DOS76 said:

I would think LEDBlinky would support clones.

As far as I know it doesn't as I had the same issue came up on the same game infact originally a 4 player game but there is a 2 player version so made that one the main rom, the lights/speech wouldn't show so added it manually each unrecognised game it will be added to unknown games so just went to import unknown games and added the buttons I needed, not ideal as you would need to do this for everything but that's the only solution I can find and believe it goes by the controls.dat file for arcade that hasn't been updated for along time