LaunchBox Community Forums

10.2 beta - Backup stuck running

dbalcar

on beta 10.2-7  after clicking on the backup function it appears that LB is trying to backup the whole drive to itself.  if you hit cancel it hangs. restarting LB just starts the process over.  Is there a way in a config file to stop the backup process?  What should it be backing up?

Thanks

2 hours ago, dbalcar said:

on beta 10.2-7  after clicking on the backup function it appears that LB is trying to backup the whole drive to itself.  if you hit cancel it hangs. restarting LB just starts the process over.  Is there a way in a config file to stop the backup process?  What should it be backing up?

Thanks

What do you mean by this @dbalcar? Backing up the whole drive to itself? Obviously it should not be backing up the whole drive, only the LaunchBox\Data folder. Are you manually running the backup process or are you talking about the automatic backup?

Hi @Jason Carr it's the Create Data Backup under tools.   I can see in procmon that the 7zip under the LB dir is running and reading all files from the drive and trying put them into a zip file.   I can see all the reads and creates of the files.  The hd is at 100% till I kill the processes.  I did hit cancel after it started but it never stopped and just hung up the LB process.  Every time I restart LB it starts 7zip again and starts touching the whole drive.  So I renamed 7zip and then it would not kick off.

Thanks

LB backup.PNG

2 hours ago, dbalcar said:

Hi @Jason Carr it's the Create Data Backup under tools.   I can see in procmon that the 7zip under the LB dir is running and reading all files from the drive and trying put them into a zip file.   I can see all the reads and creates of the files.  The hd is at 100% till I kill the processes.  I did hit cancel after it started but it never stopped and just hung up the LB process.  Every time I restart LB it starts 7zip again and starts touching the whole drive.  So I renamed 7zip and then it would not kick off.

Thanks

LB backup.PNG

Thats really strange, i just tested a manual backup here it only took less than five seconds and i was left with a 7MB or so file in the Backups folder.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:23 AM, dbalcar said:

Thanks

LB backup.PNG

That's pretty strange. The 7-zip backup process is hardcoded to only back up things inside the LaunchBox\Data folder. I have no idea why any other part of the hard drive would be affected. We have to be missing something here somehow.

That backup process is running for everyone who's downloaded the betas, which is a lot of people, and I haven't seen this elsewhere, so I guess we need to figure out what on earth could be unique about your setup that could be causing this issue.

What folder is your LaunchBox installed to? How big is your LaunchBox\Data folder?

12 minutes ago, dbalcar said:

@Jason Carr I updated to 10.3 and it's working now.  Thanks for the fix.  I did notice that if the 7z.exe is not there then LB will not start and there is no debug log written. FYI.  This is in 10.2-7 and 10.3 as well.

Thanks for the help

Yes, that is expected. LaunchBox can't run without the necessary libraries.