LaunchBox Community Forums

Theme Videos vs. Snaps

coolspot

26 minutes ago, coolspot said:

Hi all,

What's the difference between a theme video and a video snap? Theme videos seem more elaborate but a lot of themes use them instead of a snap when it's available?

Do I need both or in most cases one or the other is OK?

Thanks.

Snaps are just videos of the game running, themes have decorations and logos and such as well as a smaller gameplay video.

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Snaps are just videos of the game running, themes have decorations and logos and such as well as a smaller gameplay video.

Yeah, but essentially it's the same type of video file is it not? Just wondering why there are two file formats - confusing managing so much media.

What I mean is that in many themes, it seems to use the priority: Theme Video -> Snap Video -> Static Screen Shot when displaying gameplay. So I was just confused why there is a differentiation between a snap vs. theme video when essentially it's the same type of file except a theme video has a fancier border.

Edited by coolspot

1 minute ago, coolspot said:

What I mean is that in many themes, it seems to use the priority: Theme Video -> Snap Video -> Static Screen Shot when display gameplay. So I was just confused why there is a differentiation between a snap vs. theme video when essentially it's the same type of file except a theme video has a fancier border.

Because a theme videos has the gameplay in a much smaller window, so if the actual Bigbox theme being used only has a small window for a game video, then in that window a theme video is shown, then the actual gameplay would be absolutely tiny.

• 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, Foleyt said:

Thank you for replying so quickly

Is there a way to do it in BigBox so when I have a Theme video for a game it takes full screen but if I don't have theme video and have only Snap video it goes to default showing Box and video together ?

There IS but it requires theming to do it. There isn't any settings you can set that do it for you automatically.