LaunchBox Community Forums

Atari 2600 and Atari ST games not launching

8bitopa

My apologies.

Since writing the OP, I fixed the 2600 issue. Launchbox was pointing to stella 2014 instead of stella.

ST I'm still having trouble with. I'm using the Hatari core inside of retroarch. Ultimately I want to push everything I can through retroarch instead of having multiple standalone emus. Mostly because I want to mimmick it all on my android tablet and it's a lot easier to be centralized there to me.  I'm pretty new to all of it and just starting to get a grasp on some of it. Most is still sort of confusing.

I've downloaded the emutos zip and extracted it, but idk what to do with the files and/or folders in there.

I can't load them in RA by itself either. I see one tutorial that looks pretty comprehensive but it's in Spanish and while I'd love to be multi-lingual, I am not. I can just run hatari with it I suppose. I just know there's a way to do it in RA and I'd like to figure it out.

Edited by 8bitopa

• 2 weeks later...

If I recall from trying to setup Hatari myself, it requires a bios, do you have that in the systems folder?

the file is called tos.img

https://docs.libretro.com/library/hatari/

That page has some more info, also states: The plain ST mode only works with TOS 1.00, 1.02, 1.04, or 2.06. STE mode requires any of the TOS versions 1.xx or 2.xx. TOS 3.0x is for TT, and TOS 4.0x is for Falcon.

Hope this helps, Atari ST is next on my list to setup again myself but I only have ipf files which are all mostly (?) copy protected.

Edited by locvez
typo

See this thread below for attempts to make it work.  Highlights:

1) One issue is the RA core is version 1.8 of Hatari and standalone is up to 2.2

2) tos.img file needs to go in the Retroarch\system directory.  1.02 (CRC32 = D3C32283), others may work but that is what have. 

3) Some have noted that needs hatari.cfg file in Retroarch\system directory.  I have found RA will run regardless as long as tos.img is in system directory.  The path to the image directory is driven by RA. But if you do have it in the system directory, doesn't "hurt" anything.  Note that the paths are normal Windows path format not the Linux format used in the instructions. See example attached.  Note: Hatari loves to stick things (nvram, and autosaves for example) in the Users\###\AppData\Local \Hatari folder by default (for 2.2). The RA core one likes to stick things in Users\####\.hatari   So if hit F12 when Hatari is running (as well with RA core) will see where paths are set as well as other emulation settings.  If you hit save cfg in the F12 screen it will dump a full CFG file similar to standalone. Haven't played with it enough in RA core to see if it will take all those settings or not.  

4) .st extension files seem to work for me. However, I and at least others in the thread below couldn't get the .ipf files to work. Core says it works with them but all games I have tried get stuck at white screen and will not boot. Again, might be some combination of settings but suspect it is just an old version not playing well.

5) End result: Standalone is easier, works relatively quickly out of box, and is updated.  I have Steem and Hatari working.  I prefer to use RA where possible as well, but when you get to the computer emulation they have lots of issues and the benefit of unified controller is less of an issue since most times you are stuck with hitting the keyboard at some point.  YMMV. 

I

hatari.cfg