LaunchBox Community Forums

Buy Nvidia Shield now or wait?

haleksander

I just now learned that nvidia shield apparently works pretty good for an emulation-box!. I do have bigbox on my desktop PC in my gaming room, but apparently i play retro games elsewhere rather than in my gaming den where Steam games get prioritized. since Nvidia shield seems portable enough so that i can bring it along when visiting friends, and with hopes of getting Bigbox on it eventually, it seems like an obvious purchase.
BUT, after researching online, i've come a cross several rumours for the next nvidia shield model which might not be too far away. 

I will mainly be using this shield for retrogaming (gamecube, being the highest tier) and streaming games off my PC. Should i wait? Will the recent model get a price deduction? Will the nbext device do emulation and game streaming even better? Some rumours mention Google Stadia, but since i do have capable gaming PC's at my house, it isn't that interesting

Sorry for writing an unnecessary long post just to ask that one simple question.

Edited by haleksander

I don't really feel equipped to answer that question, but things do run well on the current Shield. Sadly I haven't tested a whole lot of game performance, so I don't really have an answer for you there. But the new Shield is pretty much guaranteed to be faster, so I'm sure things will be better.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, cleverest said:

I appreciate the confirmation! Up to what platform? Does it handle PS2/ Gamecube? Ps3? Wii-U? all arcade stuff like Killer Instinct, etc.?  Thanks.

Check out ETA Prime's channel on YouTube; I'm guessing he'll address all that stuff if he hasn't already. I haven't done significant performance testing with the later platforms.

• Thanks 2

On 11/18/2019 at 9:20 PM, cleverest said:

I appreciate the confirmation! Up to what platform? Does it handle PS2/ Gamecube? Ps3? Wii-U? all arcade stuff like Killer Instinct, etc.?  Thanks.

Yea ETA Prime goes into great detail showing what platforms/games work on the STV so that's a good resource. PS1, Gamecube, Saturn, PSP, Dreamcast and even Wii run very well on the STV. Wii of course has that funky controller so getting a regular controller to work with your games can be fun. PS2, PS3 not there yet..not sure if that's a hardware or (more likely) an emulator issue at this point. Not familiar with Wii-U so can't comment on that. The new (2019) STV is just a speed bump. Google discussed a new "hero" device coming out in 2020, my guess is STV is involved in that.