LaunchBox Community Forums

Many roms stopped working

erikmarko

Guys, I don't know if there is a problem with a latest version of launchbox or what but many of my mame games will not run anymore. When I start the game is flashes INITIALISING and the game quits. These are games that worked before and I did not update emulator or change any setting so I don't know what the problem is. Would updating Windows cause that perhaps? What should I do?

Thanks

Right now I have the latest launchbox version and mame emu. I noticed that games stopped working after upgrade of the launchbox so I tried to first downgrade launchbox but that did not make a difference so later I tried latest mame emu 64 and 32 but still no luck. So I'm thinking maybe regular windows updates messed up something.

Just now, erikmarko said:

Right now I have the latest launchbox version and mame emu. I noticed that games stopped working after upgrade of the launchbox so I tried to first downgrade launchbox but that did not make a difference so later I tried latest mame emu 64 and 32 but still no luck. So I'm thinking maybe regular windows updates messed up something.

What version of MAME are you using? If its pre 0.173 you need to remove the keyboardinput commandline from the manage emulators/MAME screen. And if it is a old version like that do not use a current MAME emulator, most games wont work.

1 minute ago, erikmarko said:

I'm using mame 0.214 64 bit version and launchbox 10.6 right now.

Yes but thats not what i asked. What version of Launchbox were you on before you updated it? And what romset are your roms from originally, you need to use that version, not the current one. My thinking is you were using a version of Launchbox that was prior to the MAME import update that added a commandline to your emulator, that command wont work with a old version of MAME so im thinking that was your issue, but then updating the MAME emulator if using a old romset would of also broken games. so i think you now have to separate issues. Can you confirm what version of Launchbox you was on prior to the update and which MAME romset and emulator version you were using before downloading the newest emulator.

1 hour ago, erikmarko said:

I think I was using launchbox 8.2 before updating to 10.6. I have no idea what roms set version my roms are and I don't know what the version of mame I had before. I think it's too late to check that since files were overwritten or deleted. What now?

You will need to go back to the version of MAME you were using previously, and then go to Tools/Manage emulators/MAME and remove the keyboard input command line that i mentioned earlier.

1 minute ago, erikmarko said:

But I had the same problem with older ver of mame.

Yes but that "problem" was just the addition of a new command that you can easily delete to fix the problem in a couple of seconds. Updating your MAME is now your main issue, as you made the "problem" much worse by updating your MAME without at least noting which version you were previously running. Essentially a lot has changed in MAME since whenever your romset was from, meaning that a lot of your games will no longer work with the current versions of the MAME emulator. You will specifically have issues with most Capcom games due to the qsound bios changing, and i believe also the neogeo bios was also changed relatively recently, so those games you have will not work with the current version of the emulator that you blindly updated to. You either need to find the correct version of the emulator (i would suggest something pre 0.182 from here https://www.mamedev.org/oldrel.html) or you need a new romset to match the current version of the emulator.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 2:50 PM, neil9000 said:

What version of MAME are you using? If its pre 0.173 you need to remove the keyboardinput commandline from the manage emulators/MAME screen. And if it is a old version like that do not use a current MAME emulator, most games wont work.

Came here with the same issue, this post helped me get back up and running, thank you neil9000!