LaunchBox Community Forums

PCSX2 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 gfx probs....

Lukeyboy67

The game runs great on my PC but with some annoying glitches I can't seem to solve. I've seen it running perfect on YT so I know it's possible. Glitches like the Sun has a box around it, black vertical lines around the text and numbers and a constant shadow on the road in front of the car. As anyone else had these probs and solved it? any help would be very much appreciated :)806869013_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.abaf8641e61c96c1f6f2e5845dfc15a5.png464162294_Screenshot(5).thumb.png.ee1fd5512dd0e64746c0f893a0cc5357.pngAMD FX-8370 - Radeon RX480 - 16 gb - Win10 pro 64

Looks like you are using hardware rendering and upscaling the resolution, thats im sure is 99% your problem. Some game are simply buggy or have graphical glitches if using anything other than software rendering at native resolution. Burnout 3: Takedown does the same thing with the sun, when using hardware rendering.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 6:04 PM, Lukeyboy67 said:

Yer right I was using HW rendering and upscale, switched to SW rendering and it all works fine now although doesn't look as pretty. I saw a YT vid of it running at 4K/60 fps with no glitches on PCSX2, god knows how he managed that?

Anyway, thanks for yer help m8 :)

Saw the same video I believe and in the comments it looks like the OP disabled some of the features in HW hacks so basically turned off those features so you don't see them.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lukeyboy67 said:

So have you managed to get this running in HW without the glitches?

I just made the changes yesterday, so I haven't completely had a chance to see check everything, but many of my gfx issues where resolved using the following HW Hacks:

Skipdraw:5

Align Sprite

Alpha

Alpha Stencil

Edit: Seems it's very map dependent. I tried that map you posted images of above and the boxes are still there on that map. Software mode might be the only perfect way right now.

Edit 2: Just switched to the OpenGL HW driver and it fixed the sun boxes on that map. The problem is it created different issues on another map. 

Edited by Headrush69
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

I just made the changes yesterday, so I haven't completely had a chance to see check everything, but many of my gfx issues where resolved using the following HW Hacks:

Edit: Seems it's very map dependent. I tried that map you posted images of above and the boxes are still there on that map. Software mode might be the only perfect way right now.

Edit 2: Just switched to the OpenGL HW driver and it fixed the sun boxes on that map. The problem is it created different issues on another map. 

Great stuff! I'll check that out. Yeah, I noticed the glitches are worse on some tracks. OpenGL mode runs like crap on my system, I believe it's my AMD GPU so I have to use Direct3D11 mode.

1 hour ago, Lukeyboy67 said:

Great stuff! I'll check that out. Yeah, I noticed the glitches are worse on some tracks. OpenGL mode runs like crap on my system, I believe it's my AMD GPU so I have to use Direct3D11 mode.

It runs slower on my Nvidia system too. To be consistent I had to use native resolution, which isn't nearly as nice.

Edit: I switched the GS plugin to GSdx-x32_AVX2 (was GSdx-x32-AVX before) and ran a few races and so far pretty good. Sun, smoke, light boxes are gone, only thing I notice so far is very minor issue in HUD. There might be a fix for that too.

Edit 2: Turning on those HW Hacks I mentioned above, fixed the HUD issues. Only other issue I see is the massive slowdown problem when you get busted. (I got busted on purpose, they can't catch me ? ) Apparently this issue only happens when using 3x or higher upscaling. I set upscaling to 2x and no problems. Visually I didn't notice that much difference during gameplay.

Edited by Headrush69
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lukeyboy67 said:

Just raced on 4 different tracks and it all seems fine, just some thin lines around the text but I can live with that. Thanks again m8 ?

Another option is running the old PC version too. It works great on Windows 10 and I have that one integrated into LB as well.

Although I do like the feel of the PS2 version better, they are close visually. (With enhanced graphics from using PCSX2)

YouTube comparison

Seems like a lot more features in PS2 version as well (Different developer for PS2 version)

Edited by Headrush69
More info:
  • Like 1