LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Issue with RetroArch

Mike_Fu

I'm having some weird behavior with my bezels.  I currently have 2 emulators in my Launchbox install... MAME and RetroArch.  Bezels work just fine in MAME.  In RetroArch I have NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis cores.  The bezels work just fine for SNES and Genesis.  They do not work for NES or N64.  

What is puzzling is that if I try to launch a NES rom directly from RetroArch outside of Launchbox the bezels display correctly.  N64 doesn't seem to work at all.

I've double checked ROM names to make sure they match etc.  I've also looked through the config files to see if anything looks out of place.  I'm guessing there is a setting I'm missing but I'm not sure where to look.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Finally, I used the latest version of the bezel project to install everything if that gives anyone a clue as to what could be going wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the help.  The names all seem to match at least from what I can tell,  the config file system in RetroArch seems a little cumbersome. 

What I've also noticed is happening is that on SNES and Genesis (the two emulators that work), when retrolaunch loads there is yellow text in the bottom left that says "Configuration Override Loaded".   When NES or N64 is loaded I don't see that text and the same bezel is loaded for every game.  

Is there some setting for forcing the configuration override or does this mean I still have some config file setting goofed up somewhere?

• 1 year later...

Any update on this? Having same issue in regard to bezels loading fine when games are launched solely through RetroArch. However, when same game is launched via LB/BB...no luck loading bezel. Using same core and while some games have this issue, others do not.

Long time lurker. This might be my first post and appreciate all the help over the years just reading all the threads.

Edited by xdmanalo

6 hours ago, xdmanalo said:

Any update on this? Having same issue in regard to bezels loading fine when games are launched solely through RetroArch. However, when same game is launched via LB/BB...no luck loading bezel. Using same core and while some games have this issue, others do not.

Long time lurker. This might be my first post and appreciate all the help over the years just reading all the threads.

My guess is you have some existing game overrides for those games that you created before you added bezels so they don't show, just go and setup the bezel on a game that doesn't show it, and save a "Game Override" and see if that fixes it. Also a FYI, this is nothing to do with launchbox, we just tell Retroarch to load a core and give it a rom path, that is all, all Retroarch settings like bezels are completely controlled by Retroarch itself.

• Thanks 1

xdmanalo, 

Some basic troubleshooting that might help you identify what's going on is to look at your LaunchBox configuration around the games that are not working properly.  In LaunchBox, select the game that's giving you trouble and press CTRL+E to open up the options.  Things to look for:

1. Click on the Launching tab and check if there's anything there other than the ROM file.  Are there any command line parameters or configuration paths specified?
  2. Click on the Additional Apps tab.  Are there any additional applications on this game?  Low chance that this is the problem but I've seen cases where an additional app or AHK script was not configured properly and messed things up.  
  3. Click on the Emulation tab.  Are there any custom command line parameters?  
  4. Click the edit button on the emulator.  Is the application path pointing to the same location and application you're running when you run it outside of LaunchBox and it's working fine?  I feel like this is the most common mistake I see when people say it's working fine outside but when I run via LaunchBox something's messed up.  99% of the time they forgot they had a 2nd copy of the emulator and they were using a different one. 
  5. Any command line parameters specified on the emulator?  This could be overriding your config that you were getting from standalone Retroarch. 
  6. Check associated platforms and make 100% you're using the same core
  7. Check the Running Script and Exit script to make sure nothing in there could possibly interfere - low chance on this but I've seen cases where additional apps or AHK scripts mess things up

I agree with Neil that this is generally a Retroarch issue and LaunchBox doesn't have anything to do with how the bezels are shown in Retroarch but some of the configuration values that are setup in LaunchBox could cause this. 

• Like 1

@Niel…

Yes, agreed more likely RetroArch override related and just wanted to get some feedback from the LB folks here....particularly, given another user was experiencing a similar issue.

Recalling now that during past efforts to configure buttons, I was experimenting with game/platform RetroArch CFGs and calling them out in LB cmd line params. Finally deleted that callout and settled on ‘content (game) directory remaps’ within RetroArch. Will investigate for a root cause with RetroArch as suspect.

Appreciate the feedback, and have a good one.

@Fry…

1.    Blank besides ROM file.
2.    Blank
3.    Blank
4.    Confirmed same path and application.
5.    Blank (observed on Edit Emulator > Details tab and Edit Game > Launching > Emulation tab)
6.    Confirmed
7.    Confirmed only default values (blank for running script and only comments for exit script). 

Thanks for the troubleshooting questions to help isolate the issue. RetroArch configuration looking like the more probable cause. 

Thinking backing up ‘content directory remap’ files and a clean install of RetroArch would be easiest.

The perpetual project continues…

Edited by xdmanalo
  • Game On 1

16 hours ago, neil9000 said:

My guess is you have some existing game overrides....setup the bezel on a game that doesn't show it, and save a "Game Override" and see if that fixes it....

Issue remained even after a clean re-install of RetroArch, but resolved using the "Game Override"...thank you much.

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks, I need some help with similar issue about bevels and overrides. The bezels were working for most platforms including Mame, but not working for SNES + Genesis + Sega Master System. I tried reinstall Launchbox from scratch and the same keeps happening. I think the issue are overrides... Here are the steps I took:

1) Re-Installed Launchbox 13.6

2) import NES games + import all media + bezels -> works ok, bezels shows up -> when games load I see the message "configuration override loaded"

3) import SNES games +  import all media + bezels -> games load with no configuration override loaded and no bezels

The best I could understand is that when I import bezels for NES using the Launchbox internal method of importing media + bezels together, it sets an override for each game so that bezels pop up, but that is not happening for SNES.

I can also go to one SNES game and set a manual game override and set the specific game bezel as the overlay target - it works, but there are other 700+ games (impossible to do one by one). I tried the other 2 variants of override:

a) by core - I set the SNES system bezel - it works - but the plan is to have by game (not by system)

b) by content folder - I use a specific game as overlay target - but then it sets the same for all other games - does not work either

Is there a way to make any override change differently so that it does like the NES and force the bezels by each game for SNES ? Should I try to download and install project bezels in parallel from launchbox ?

Thanks for any tips !

12 hours ago, grigoleto said:

Hi Folks, I need some help with similar issue about bevels and overrides. The bezels were working for most platforms including Mame, but not working for SNES + Genesis + Sega Master System. I tried reinstall Launchbox from scratch and the same keeps happening. I think the issue are overrides... Here are the steps I took:

1) Re-Installed Launchbox 13.6

2) import NES games + import all media + bezels -> works ok, bezels shows up -> when games load I see the message "configuration override loaded"

3) import SNES games +  import all media + bezels -> games load with no configuration override loaded and no bezels

The best I could understand is that when I import bezels for NES using the Launchbox internal method of importing media + bezels together, it sets an override for each game so that bezels pop up, but that is not happening for SNES.

I can also go to one SNES game and set a manual game override and set the specific game bezel as the overlay target - it works, but there are other 700+ games (impossible to do one by one). I tried the other 2 variants of override:

a) by core - I set the SNES system bezel - it works - but the plan is to have by game (not by system)

b) by content folder - I use a specific game as overlay target - but then it sets the same for all other games - does not work either

Is there a way to make any override change differently so that it does like the NES and force the bezels by each game for SNES ? Should I try to download and install project bezels in parallel from launchbox ?

Thanks for any tips !

It sounds like a rom name mismatch with the bezel set. Have you verified the cfg file names in ...\retroarch\config\<core name> match your roms 100%?

yes, overlay is on. Im able to change to the snes system overlay and it works, but the goal is to use each game specific bezel for each game. I think the issue is that each game should be invoking a o override and they are not. Thank you dragon for the patience on checking all these options with me ! let me know any other guess you may have!i

No override is needed for bezels to work. All you need is that overlay setting to be turned on for the core you are using (saved as <core name>.cfg). Next you need a subdirectory under the config directory that matches name for the core you are using. The cfg files under config\<core name> point to the cfg/png files in the overlay\gamebezels\<system name> directory.

If you have any specific overrides for SNES, I would remove all of them and see how retroarch behaves.

There are no overrides for any platform, its pretty much the initial install from launchbox + media download. All files and naming seems to be ok. I saw that I have other cores for SNES like a 2010 version and other variations. Is there any way to set one of them to run the SNES games instead of the SNES9x ? If Yes, can you provide some guidance there ? maybe running a different core could do the trick ? Thanks again Dragon !! 

These are the steps I use. There are probably others that work just as well, or better.

1. Make sure LaunchBox is not running.
2. Start RetroArch manually and go to Online Updater/Core Downloader, select the SNES 2010 core and hit Enter

image.thumb.png.20761fcbe793caebb5967552cc413718.png
3. Exit RetroArch and start LaunchBox and goto Tools/Manage Emulators, scroll down and select RetroArch, then Edit. Select Associated Platforms, then scroll down to Super Nintendo Entertainment System, select the drop-down in the Core column and select the snes9x2010_libretro entry. Select OK. If prompted to update all SNES games to use this emulator, select Yes.
image.thumb.png.4136b4dcdd72b04890d358f6753bbfe1.png
4. Run a SNES game and see if you see anything different.