LaunchBox Community Forums

ePSXe lag on faster games

TeoDaTank

I ended up using ePSXe vs Retro Arch as I went through the forums, but I am noticing some faster games (Like DDR, Bust A Groove for instance) I get some severe lag in these games. Even Lunar has a small bit of noticable lag during big combat, and I'm wondering if this is common or if there is a setting I should look into? I followed a lot of the 'best settings' like 1x overclocking etc, but I still notice these smaller issues.

I do play with a wireless controller so I am expecting that lag, but it's gameplay lag I am struggling with. I play on my gaming PC (Way over-kill for emulation) on my 4K TV at that res.

ePSXe is the more light weight emulator that is for sure but without knowing any specs of your gaming rig beyond your word that its an "over-kill gaming PC" it's hard to say what could be the issue.

I have never had issues with Retroarch and the Mednafen core on my 2 gaming PCs, 1 really new and 1 older one. My much older toaster PC definitely ran ePSXe much better though.

Yea, fair enough.

Specs:

Ryzen 3900x

SLI - 2080 Ti

32GB 3200 Memory

Emulators+ROMs are currently on an SSD (Need to figure out how to easily move Launchbox to another HD to get it off of it). This is my workstation for work so quite a bit overkill for most gaming, so I'm thinking either A) It's an AMD issue B) Settings [Which could also be A?]

Which core for PSX should I use to use Retroarch with LaunchBox? it was asking for some netfen one I couldn't find (I could have the name wrong; I am not at home to check). I'd prefer to use the same one; I had some issues with ePSXe going from 4K back to 2K when I'd switch monitors so I'd like that.

1 minute ago, TeoDaTank said:

Which core for PSX should I use to use Retroarch with LaunchBox? it was asking for some netfen one I couldn't find (I could have the name wrong; I am not at home to check). I'd prefer to use the same one; I had some issues with ePSXe going from 4K back to 2K when I'd switch monitors so I'd like that.

its called beetle_psx_hw in the retroarch UI.

Oh, you were having issues with ePSXe, I was thinking the other way around. I rarely ever use ePSXe (never use) any more but it was always the faster but slightly less accurate emulator so I did use it on a trashy old PC I had. Might be just a setting or something for those specific games.

In any case glad you got it sorted with the RA Beetle / Mednafen core.