LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarc Sound issues

Zeux

Hi Folks,

Got a very strange issue with all my emulators  when using retroarc. Whilst out in launchbox/bigbox  game select menu the game sound samples work perfectly, but once I enter  a game and retroarc starts playing it the sound is all garbled and scratchy?? 

This is not an issue when using the my mame emulator with launchbox/bigbox?

I have tried changing the sound driver in retroarc to a few different  types with the same issue? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah. also Hi everyone for my first post ?‍♀️

Edited by Zeux

It's the same glitchy/garbled slowed down sound.  definately an issue with retroarc not launchbox as I tried the same roms with standalone emulators and sound is pefect.

Maybe the problem is due to the  i5 intel NUC I'm using? As the sound is currently currently going through a HDMI cable and a 4kTV? I have tried many different  combinations of sound/video drivers within retroarc, but there is no difference.

Can only hope,  that this may resolve once I install into my cab with the realtek driver (non HDMI) sound and speakers. Alternatively I can install stand alone emulators for each system.

Hopefully some of you folks can throw some more ideas out there which resolves it? But at least I have a backup if all else fails.

Happy 2020.

My guess is your NUC has defaulted to 4k30 and not 4k60. So check the intel graphics panel and see if you can switch it. It could also be that the actual HDMI port, or the cable you are using doesnt actually support 4k60, so its worth checking. It could only be a HDMI 1.4 connector which cant do 4K at 60 at all.

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2020 at 11:32 PM, Retro808 said:

Check the refresh rate Retroarch is set at. I remember someone having an issue like this and it turned out to be the refresh rate. I will see if I can find the post. 

Edited:

Here is the post I was thinking of. 

On 1/2/2020 at 1:14 AM, neil9000 said:

My guess is your NUC has defaulted to 4k30 and not 4k60. So check the intel graphics panel and see if you can switch it. It could also be that the actual HDMI port, or the cable you are using doesnt actually support 4k60, so its worth checking. It could only be a HDMI 1.4 connector which cant do 4K at 60 at all.

On 1/1/2020 at 11:12 PM, Charco said:

I wonder is there some setting in your global retroarch.cfg that your system can't handle? Have you tried backing up the retroarch.cfg file in your RetroArch folder and running RetroArch to generate a new clean config file? 

Awesome folks,

your posts led me to the solution definitely a refresh rate issue.

I tired  intel panel, tinkering with refesh rates in RA and also on the TV no dice. the solution was  turning on Threaded video within RA. it's not perfect  but 100% better than it was  and once I'm in my Arcade cab  with led monitor I should be golden!

Thanks heaps Lads

cab.thumb.jpg.94847f17fb7dc26109bc4c31afea8afe.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 1/3/2020 at 2:13 AM, Zeux said:

the solution was  turning on Threaded video within RA. it's not perfect  but 100% better than it was  and once I'm in my Arcade cab  with led monitor I should be golden!

I have a NUC running retroarch through launchbox and this solved my audio glitches / distorted sound for one emulator but not others.

The solution that solved it altogether was checking my frame rate in windows under DIsplay > Advanced Display Settings and changing the hz from 30 to 60.

Edited by ikinsey

• 9 months later...