LaunchBox Community Forums

Moving specific files from a romset.

Ripklawe

Hello,

I looked at the FAQs and did not see my issue there so I am hoping someone can help me by pointing me in the right direction.

Here is my issue: I have a full MAME romset and there is no issue there, it all shows up and the playlists work (really love that feature). However, I really do not need a lot of the bloat that comes with MAME. I would be fine with just the collections I.E. Capcom Classics, Taito Classics, Williams Classics, etc etc but for the life of me, I cannot figure out a way to move the roms from those collections while in Launchbox to a separate folder so I can just get rid of the other bulk stuff I have no use for. Is this even possible or do I have to go through the EXCEPTIONALLY tedious job of looking at each file individually within Launchbox to see it's specific filename and then moving it one by one?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Edited by Ripklawe
For clarity. It read rather poorly.

Okay this has been covered multiple times on the forum and basically if you want to delete stuff from your ROM set its either as easy as can be or very difficult. Which it is depends on what type of ROM set you have if you have a split or merged set then its a PITA and really not something someone with extensive knowledge of MAME should even attempt, however if you have a Non-Merged ROM set then its pretty much easy as pie. The reason for the disparity is the way that the split and merged sets are set up vs the structure of the Non-Merged set. In the split set ever game and clone has its own file but some of those files are dependent on other files in the set. In a merged set only the parent of a game has its own file and the clones are contained inside of the parents but these are still dependent on other files such as system boards and bios files. Due to this if you remove files without knowing what you are doing you will in all likelihood remove files that are needed for some of the games you want to keep to work so like I said earlier if you don't know MAME very well this is not something to be doing. A Non-Merged set is setup just like a split set in that every game including clones have their own file except there is no dependencies on other files all files needed for the game to work are contained in each file. This is the reason that it is twice as large as the other sets. So now that I've explained that basically you can do what you want if you get a Non-Merged set they are available on Pleasuredome just Google Pleasuredome Roms and you will find the site.

Thanks for responding DOS,

I do not think that you get what I mean and that is not surprising. I did not word it very well. I am familiar with mame sets and the merged and not merged aspects. That is not my issue here. My issue is that I do not want most of the roms in the mame set, just the ones that fill out certain collections like Taito Collection or Data East Collection. or the CP1, CPS2, CPS3 sets. What I was wondering is if there was a way to move the files from those collections via their playlist to a separate folder or will I have to actually go into the mame rom folder and hunt down each roms in each playlist I want individually. My set is not merged so of course I would need the parent roms and the clones so it would just be easier to download a merged set at that point but I do not want to waste the bandwidth if there is a simpler solution.

8 minutes ago, Ripklawe said:

Thanks for responding DOS,

I do not think that you get what I mean and that is not surprising. I did not word it very well. I am familiar with mame sets and the merged and not merged aspects. That is not my issue here. My issue is that I do not want most of the roms in the mame set, just the ones that fill out certain collections like Taito Collection or Data East Collection. or the CP1, CPS2, CPS3 sets. What I was wondering is if there was a way to move the files from those collections via their playlist to a separate folder or will I have to actually go into the mame rom folder and hunt down each roms in each playlist I want individually. My set is not merged so of course I would need the parent roms and the clones so it would just be easier to download a merged set at that point but I do not want to waste the bandwidth if there is a simpler solution.

Dos's answer is pretty much answering what you are asking. There is not an easy way and you cannot use Launchbox playlists to move them. It is not only a rom/parent/clone rom issue it is support file issue as well. CHD files, bios files, or other support files that games in Mame may need but Launchbox does not care about. Non-merged set would be the best to do this with and again there is no feature in LB to do the moves based on those playlists. 

Umm, Non Merged set is the easiest since it's 1 file = 1 working game, Merged still requires bios and Split is where everything is broken out and is more cumbersome.

You said Not Merged so i'm not sure if you mean Non Merged or Split.

If you have the Non Merged set and use the old import method (not the Mame Full Set Import tool you can easily copy out a rom set using the Export/Copy ROM Files tool. screenshot_519.thumb.jpg.ea2eafaf393c7e4f7eaa9a6b94b8f230.jpg

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

Dos's answer is pretty much answering what you are asking. There is not an easy way and you cannot use Launchbox playlists to move them. It is not only a rom/parent/clone rom issue it is support file issue as well. CHD files, bios files, or other support files that games in Mame may need but Launchbox does not care about. Non-merged set would be the best to do this with and again there is no feature in LB to do the moves based on those playlists. 

Non-merged? Wouldn't it be better to use a merged set so I do not have to hunt down all the files for any given rom?

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

No. Non-merged contains everything for a game to run in one zip. 

Ohhh, ok. I got that switched around. So I must have the merged set then. Gonna go find a non-merged set then. Still, gonna be a lot of games to go through on each playlist to get all the ones from the romset that i need.

Thanks all, sorry for my confusion.

2 minutes ago, Ripklawe said:

Ohhh, ok. I got that switched around. So I must have the merged set then. Gonna go find a non-merged set then. Still, gonna be a lot of games to go through on each playlist to get all the ones from the romset that i need.

Thanks all, sorry for my confusion.

No worries, but @DOS76 and @Lordmonkus are the better experts in the differences with Mame. I just remember what they taught me. So take their advice any time you see it.