LaunchBox Community Forums

Two Overlay Questions

grim.

Hello and thanks for coming in to help! I'll get to the point.

1. I downloaded this set of bezels and somehow got it working on a game. I understand if some bezels require manual adjustments to make them fit perfectly around the screen. My question is: is there an easy auto-fit method that I'm not aware of or does everyone just do it the old fashion way (adjusting height/width, corner rounding, etc.) until it looks like a perfect fit? If there's a shortcut for this, I'd love to know because I plan on installing hundreds of arcade bezels and it's gonna slowly kill me to micro-adjust all of them.

bigbezel.thumb.png.6b06bf410e7a866af4e1a3383627bbe6.png

2. Unfortunately, the creator of those bezels didn't include instructions. I placed all the bezels in my RetroArch\overlays\borders directory but I don't see any script to attach these bezels to their cores.  I'm just activating it manually on RetroArch's menu at Onscreen Overlay>Overlay Present.

overlaylist.thumb.JPG.d05c1c26b12dfa2d8ce744cf7b7ca2cc.JPG

18 minutes ago, grim. said:

1. I downloaded this set of bezels and somehow got it working on a game. I understand if some bezels require manual adjustments to make them fit perfectly around the screen. My question is: is there an easy auto-fit method that I'm not aware of or does everyone just do it the old fashion way (adjusting height/wdth, corner rounding, etc.) until it looks like a perfect fit? If there's a shortcut for his, I'd love to know because I plan on installing hundreds of arcade bezels and it's gonna slowly kill me to micro-adjust all of them.

If you need to alter your screen, you only have to do it once (not necessarily an autofit but you can apply it to all your games at the same time), as you can make the changes and save them to the main retroarch.cfg (will affect all games), or a per core config (will affect all games that use that core), or a per game config. It looks like that bezel pack looks amazing, but will require you to manually edit the video screen and probably add a shader for the curve.

In terms of arcades, many bezel packs are 16:9 with 4:3 empty space in the middle so the screen will just naturally fit. I recommend looking for The Bezel Project as its the only resource I know of that will provide per game configs along with the bezels which makes them hands free, no setup on a per game level. 

In terms of setting up the bezels you have, you can do this the same as noted above (per retroarch.cfg all games, per core, or per game). So if they are system bezels, you can just load up a game with the core (any game), manually select the bezel and do any adjustments as needed, and then under quick menu select "Save per core config" and those settings will apply to every game that uses that core. 

Edited by fromlostdays

Thanks, I figured I'd have to attach the bezels to the core one by one. I was hoping with those .CFG files I could enter a magical shortcut.

As for The Bezel Project (slightly off-topic), I actually started with that. Unfortunately, I've run into issues with that program because I would load up a game with a perfectly matching bezel and the same bezel will appear in every other game I load. I got sick of seeing Aladdin's bezel on a bunch of games across cores. I installed a No-Intro ROM set so I assumed they were all named properly. I just don't wanna go through the hassle of verifying proper file-naming for 12,000 games. Also.....the bezel art is hit and miss. What's impressive about The Bezel Project is the quantity of bezels provided, but I think the bezels I linked are extremely detailed and shockingly realistic. I even love the marks on the screens.

I agree Retrolust's bezels look awesome. But yeah there's no magical shortcut (as far as I know, but thats not saying much). You'll have to apply per core at least, and then per game. I used The Bezel Project on my big build, which admittedly doesn't get as much testing so I haven't noticed. It would be interesting to try and reverse engineer how they accomplish having all the bezels automatically display, even with errors, as just putting the configs in a folder isn't enough. If you knew that, might be able to modify it to fit your purposes. 

I'm just not that smart haha.  

Edited by fromlostdays

5 hours ago, grim. said:

Thanks, I figured I'd have to attach the bezels to the core one by one. I was hoping with those .CFG files I could enter a magical shortcut.

As for The Bezel Project (slightly off-topic), I actually started with that. Unfortunately, I've run into issues with that program because I would load up a game with a perfectly matching bezel and the same bezel will appear in every other game I load. I got sick of seeing Aladdin's bezel on a bunch of games across cores. I installed a No-Intro ROM set so I assumed they were all named properly. I just don't wanna go through the hassle of verifying proper file-naming for 12,000 games. Also.....the bezel art is hit and miss. What's impressive about The Bezel Project is the quantity of bezels provided, but I think the bezels I linked are extremely detailed and shockingly realistic. I even love the marks on the screens.

It sounds like you have the Retroarch option 'save config on exit' set to true. This causes all kinds of issues when you try to install and use the bezel project files. We recommend you turn that Retroarch option off and also manually edit retroarch.cfg to remove any value saved in the input_overlay setting.

I'm having a problem with curving the screen and I don't wanna make another thread for it.

The bottom two corners of my screen are sharper than the top two. I can only make them equally curved when I increase curvature to the max which is not what I want. Anyone know why the bottom corners are sharper? I've switched around with different shaders (i.e. royale, geom, easymode).

Edit: In case you're wondering, the overlay is not cutting off the corners. I made the screen smaller than the TV so you can see the entire edge of the screen.

curvedcorner.thumb.png.82671539fe421c9929a5aace48c746b7.png

Edited by grim.