LaunchBox Community Forums

Video scaling options are sorely lacking.

Alopex

I've just started using LaunchBox so I can run Neo Geo CD games in bin/cue format through MESS, I thought as a front end it would take the settings defined in the emulator itself, but I'm instead noticing this program just has one default video output with almost no scaling or sizing options.

I tried to add command line parameters to add some of the settings from MESS but they didn't work at all, it's really frustrating to me that the video out appears to be just nearest-neighbor scaled to window size. Could you please look into adding options for integer scaling? I always want sharp, multiplied pixels with no distortion or filtering and unless I'm missing something, LB has no such options.

Another output that would help immensely would be a bitmap prescaling slider like MAME/MESS offers so that all resolutions can be scaled to full screen in their correct aspect ratios with as little blurring as possible.

1 minute ago, Alopex said:

I've just started using LaunchBox so I can run Neo Geo CD games in bin/cue format through MESS, I thought as a front end it would take the settings defined in the emulator itself, but I'm instead noticing this program just has one default video output with almost no scaling or sizing options.

Launchbox does not control image quality of emulators, that is entirely handled by whatever emulator you are using, in this case MESS. So you need to adjust your settings there.

21 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Launchbox does not control image quality of emulators, that is entirely handled by whatever emulator you are using, in this case MESS. So you need to adjust your settings there.

Hm, that's exactly what I did, I explicitly loaded up MESSUI and set up all my video options to match my copy of MAMEUI64 (I could not get this version to load NGCD at all) before trying it through LaunchBox, but it does not appear to be taking those settings, I'm not getting any prescaling, just a flat nearest-neighbor output.

3 minutes ago, Alopex said:

Hm, that's exactly what I did, I explicitly loaded up MESSUI and set up all my video options to match my copy of MAMEUI64 (I could not get this version to load NGCD at all) before trying it through LaunchBox, but it does not appear to be taking those settings, I'm not getting any prescaling, just a flat nearest-neighbor output.

Try copying your mess.ini from the ini folder into the root mess folder and see if that works.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Try copying your mess.ini from the ini folder into the root mess folder and see if that works.

Well it looks like something is wrong with MESS itself, this version (MESSUI64 2.19) is simply refusing to apply the video filtering options i've set. I tried copying the ini file to the root as well but to no avail.

14 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Just use Mame, it does it all now and works fine.

I would, but MAMEUI is refusing to load any discs through LaunchBox, it just spits out a load of 'game approximately matches the following software items' errors. Was really hoping to avoid having to faff around with the commandline MAME, but I guess it looks like I have no choice...

Edited by Alopex

The command line version is very easy to use. Simply make all your settings adjustments in the mame.ini file which has to be in the main folder with the mame64.exe.

What I do is I have a 2nd install of Mame just for non arcade emulation like NeoGeo CD, I do this for purely ease of use for my personal preference. You do need a separate instance of Mame setup in LB though since they use difference check boxes. I also just dump all the bios for non arcade in the \bios folder of this separate mame install but this is also just for personal preference, you can put them anywhere and tell Mame where the bios are in the mame.ini file.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alopex said:

I would, but MAMEUI is refusing to load any discs through LaunchBox, it just spits out a load of 'game approximately matches the following software items' errors. 

Are you indeed using MAME software lists are is your NeoCD media just standalone images?

10 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Are you indeed using MAME software lists are is your NeoCD media just standalone images?

Trying to use bin/cue standalone images. I'm actively trying to avoid having to make a separate set of CHDs just for this.

12 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

The command line version is very easy to use. Simply make all your settings adjustments in the mame.ini file which has to be in the main folder with the mame64.exe.

What I do is I have a 2nd install of Mame just for non arcade emulation like NeoGeo CD, I do this for purely ease of use for my personal preference. You do need a separate instance of Mame setup in LB though since they use difference check boxes. I also just dump all the bios for non arcade in the \bios folder of this separate mame install but this is also just for personal preference, you can put them anywhere and tell Mame where the bios are in the mame.ini file.

Gonna try doing that right now, I just copied my mame.ini from UI64 and everything seems to be good. Also holy crap, base MAME does have a UI now? Looks like i've been out of the loop for too long.

Edited by Alopex

9 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Did you set it up in Launchbox properly ?

Sorry for the late reply, I was falling asleep as I typed my last message. I did use your guide, but somehow the "don't use quotes" got ticked and that's what was breaking it.

Everything appears to be running smoothly with classic MAME now. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Good to hear, like I said, Mame needs different settings in LB for arcade and non arcade systems, though I think if you are using the actual Mame software lists it uses the same LB settings.

I'm just happy this thing lets me use my untouched iso's instead of having to convert everything to CHD.

Now that this headache is over, time to actually start importing things. I didn't actually think I'd want to use a launcher/management prog like this as I've always been comfortable just using individual emulators, but I actually rather like the way everything is presented here. Definitely going to give LB a proper go of it. :)

Edited by Alopex