LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch default core

luk

Hi, I'm new at the forum (and also at LaunchBox). ?

I'm testing the free version of LaunchBox on Windows 10 and using RetroArch as emulator (I was already using it so all my games and stuff are there and I'd love to keep it).

I'm trying to understand if (and how) i can use different Associated Platforms for different games and not just 1 for all the games in the same category. 

RetroArch has this feature and this is very useful most of all with arcade games that sometimes need different emulators.

As I said I'm using LaunchBox with RetroArch so I supposed it would use RetroArch settings where I already had this setup, but I think it doesn't work this way.

Can you please help me? Thanks so much bye

Luk :)

There is no setting in Retroarch that allows you do this through Launchbox, as Launchbox passes the core and game information to the emulator. Nor can you do this through Associated Platforms. In order to do this, you need to tell Launchbox which core you want to use on a per game basis using a custom command line. (It's not difficult at all). Just:

Right click the game you want to use a different core for

Go to "Edit"

Go to the "Emulation" tab

Enable "Custom Command Line Parameters"

Type in this code

-L "cores\bsnes_libretro.dll"

Where "bsnes_libretro.dll" equals the exact name of the core you want to use.

Hope it helps!

Edited by fromlostdays
  • Like 1

Setting up an alternate Retroarch emulator (in Launchbox, you don't need two instances of Retroarch) will still require you to input the command line for the core (I think) as first I tried to create a new emulator called (Retroarch - Alternate), and pointed it to my regular Retroarch.exe. I think because it wasn't named just (Retroarch) the dropdown for the cores didn't appear in Associated Platforms. Unless I did something wrong, in this case you would put the code under the Associated Platforms tab and it should work fine.

I've been thinking about a more novel approach to the first method that would allow you to do this in bulk. Lets say you have 50 games in your SNES library that you need to change a core for.

First, you could download this awesome plugin by @JoeViking245:

This allows you to input custom command lines into multiple games at once. The next problem is sorting. You need to be able to select only the roms you want to change the core on.

You could do this by marking all of the roms that need a different core as favorite (just for the time being), then going to "List View" in Launchbox scrolling over to the favorites column and sorting that way.

Select all the games you marked as favorite, right click and select Bulk Command Line edit

Then just put in the core command line code and you're done - the plugin will automatically enable custom command lines to every selected game and further input the command you've told it.

NOTE: I've used the above plugin but never quite in this way, so this is just untested lagniappe at this point. :)

Edited by fromlostdays
  • Thanks 2

@fromlostdays thanks so much!! this works fine (both command line and plugin)...and of course yes I need to figure out how to sort them but I think the bigger problem I had is fixed! :)

Now I just need to understand why I don't have any MAME core in the Associated Platforms list even if I have them in RetroArch.

P.s. Thanks for teaching me a new word I didn't know (lagniappe) as well :D :D

@Chris Kant thanks to you too but I think an alternate emulator  instance would be a bit more messy most of all cause I suppose I'm gonna need more of them :D

7 minutes ago, luk said:

Now I just need to understand why I don't have any MAME core in the Associated Platforms list even if I have them in RetroArch.

The platform name (MAME or Arcade in your case?) will have a core listed next to it, just double click that and a dropdown opens with all the cores you have installed.

Re: "Lagniappe"

I'm from New Orleans and we're an amalgam of French, Spanish, Caribbean, Cajun and creole. Lagniappe is part of our daily vocabulary down here. I don't even think of it. I had a teacher who gave "lagniappe" points instead of bonus points. ?  

Its pronounced lan-yap. :) 

• Haha 1