LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame High Scores Not Saving

Moleburt

I know this question has been asked before, I am trying to get Mame no save my high scores, I saw a different thread that said to change the "0" to "1" for the plugins line in the "plugins.ini" file, I did this but my scores are still not saving and I'm not sure why. I'm running the no nag version of .216 with a .216 rom set, I'm not sure what I'm missing to make this work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, Moleburt said:

I know this question has been asked before, I am trying to get Mame no save my high scores, I saw a different thread that said to change the "0" to "1" for the plugins line in the "plugins.ini" file, I did this but my scores are still not saving and I'm not sure why. I'm running the no nag version of .216 with a .216 rom set, I'm not sure what I'm missing to make this work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

In the plugin.ini you need to make sure the line for "cheat" is set to 0.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

In the plugin.ini you need to make sure the line for "cheat" is set to 0.

It is, I'm not sure what the problem is. I have the "mame.ini" in the root folder, as well as the "plugin.ini" I have plugins set to 1 in the mame.ini and hiscore set to 1 and cheat set to 0 in the plugin.ini. But it's not saving my highscores at all. Not sure what the issue is.

29 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I would also confirm cheats are not showing in a game. Run a game in Mame you know has cheats and make sure you cannot see the cheat menu.

I’ve never used cheats or anything...so I don’t know any games that would have them lol 

2 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

If you have an existing .hi and/or .nvram file for the game, delete (or at least temporarily move somewhere else) those and test it again.

I tried deleting anything in either of those folders and still nothing. I attached my 2 ini files, maybe I have something wrong? I haven't ever used any cheats or anything, the only thing I have done is for some games I would set the custom config file for controls and set them to "read only" to avoid them being over written, but the games I've been testing the high score settings with don't have a config that I did that to. I don't know if it is something to do with the no nag version of mame? Or if something else is wrong.

I have both the mame.ini as well as plugin.ini in the root mame folder. I see a folder named "hi" and within the "plugins" folder there is a subfolder named "hiscore" and within that are 4 files "hiscore.dat" "init.lua" "plugin.json" and "sort_hiscore.lua." I never placed any of those files there, they were auto generated I think. Would I be better to switch to a different version of mame than the no nag or is that probably not the issue?

mame.ini plugin.ini

Your ini files look good.  And I'm sure the version of MAME (no-nag) you have is fine.  MAME 0.216 as well should have no issues saving high scores.  The hiscore folder inside plugins is fine too with those 4 files (Yes. Put there by default [auto generated]).  Oh, a kind of required to save the high scores. :) 

In you main MAME folder, is there a folder called "nvram"?  Are there files in there?  If so, try moving/removing those.

Have you play a game to the point where you got a high score?  Preferably in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place and you got to enter you initials. 

16 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Your ini files look good.  And I'm sure the version of MAME (no-nag) you have is fine.  MAME 0.216 as well should have no issues saving high scores.  The hiscore folder inside plugins is fine too with those 4 files (Yes. Put there by default [auto generated]).  Oh, a kind of required to save the high scores. :) 

In you main MAME folder, is there a folder called "nvram"?  Are there files in there?  If so, try moving/removing those.

Have you play a game to the point where you got a high score?  Preferably in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place and you got to enter you initials. 

@JoeViking245 I think I figured out the issue. If I run mame in standalone it saves the scores, but if I launch from big box/launchbox it does not. It's like big box/launchbox are not seeing the files within the "hi" folder of mame. Any ideas how to fix this?

This will probably need to be looked at by Jason. 

But 1st, to be clear, you're just talking about being able to save and see the high scores inside the [MAME] game itself?  And not talking about being able to physically see the high scores inside LaunchBox with the new feature that's in the latest beta(s)?

If it's the first one, read on.  If it's the 2nd... well, the answers to the following will probably help (someone else) too...

When you get/save a high score when running MAME in standalone, exit MAME, start LaunchBox (this is important to start LB after the high score was saved and you completely exited MAME),  then open the same game through LaunchBox, does the new saved high score show in the game?

Which game(s) are you testing with?

Look on both your "hi" folder and "nvram" folder, which (if not both) has a file for the game?  Actually, in the hi folder it will be a file (rom_name.hi) and in the nvram folder it will be a sub-folder with the same name as rom_name.

14 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

This will probably need to be looked at by Jason. 

But 1st, to be clear, you're just talking about being able to save and see the high scores inside the [MAME] game itself?  And not talking about being able to physically see the high scores inside LaunchBox with the new feature that's in the latest beta(s)?

If it's the first one, read on.  If it's the 2nd... well, the answers to the following will probably help (someone else) too...

When you get/save a high score when running MAME in standalone, exit MAME, start LaunchBox (this is important to start LB after the high score was saved and you completely exited MAME),  then open the same game through LaunchBox, does the new saved high score show in the game?

Which game(s) are you testing with?

Look on both your "hi" folder and "nvram" folder, which (if not both) has a file for the game?  Actually, in the hi folder it will be a file (rom_name.hi) and in the nvram folder it will be a sub-folder with the same name as rom_name.

Yes the score is loading/saving when I run mame by itself, but if I close Mame and open launchbox or big box the game loads but the hiscores no longer load with it or save. I have tested with Pacman (puckman.zip) and Donkey Kong (dkong.zip) and the same occurs with both, standalone saves and loads hiscores, launchbox and big box do not. There are files in the "hi" folder for both of these games, but nothing at all in the "nvram" folder at all.

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

What version of Mame are you using? The standard command line or one of the offshoots like MameUI or Arcade64?

I'm using the no nag version of .216, it's not one of the offshoot UI ones, its one of the No Nag ones that was posted in the "Third-party Apps and Plugins" directory of the forums.

48 minutes ago, Moleburt said:

I'm using the no nag version of .216, it's not one of the offshoot UI ones, its one of the No Nag ones that was posted in the "Third-party Apps and Plugins" directory of the forums.

OK. I did not see a .216 no nag there (I likely just missed seeing it). But I did test the .218 and.219 no nags that are in the subforum and no issues with either of those. So it should not be an issue with a compiled no nag.

Ok I got the exe part squared away so my no nag works again. But still no luck getting hiscore to show within launchbox, still works when I load the games outside of launchbox though. Not sure what the issue is. Also, getting the no nag working I might have a different exe than I previously did, I just downloaded a .216 no nag and put the exe in my mame directory, everything works, but I noticed this version has white boxes that pop up briefly before the game loads, is this probably just something to do with this version of the no nag?

As long as you got the MAME exe revision that matches the roms (which you did), just copying the exe is good.  Sounds like the nn version you got didn't apply the Disable White Border patch.   K.... back to digging...

Under Edit Emulator for MAME in the Details tab, is the Emulator Application Path pointing to the correct folder/file?  Is there anything else in the Default Command-Line Parameters than shown here?image.thumb.png.bcccae73849898e29b2c83f85c6641a0.pngIn the Associated Platforms tab, is there anything in the Default Command-Line Parameters?  Is it checked as the Default Emulator (For "Arcade")?image.thumb.png.41ed2df70ab97159cd04688325ea7d31.pngIs there anything in the other 2 'red-dot' tabs?  (1st should be blank, 2nd will have 2 lines commented [ ; at the beginning])

Now edit Donkey Kong, in the Emulation tab, is the Choose an Emulator pointing to the same one you looked at a moment ago? Is the Use Custom Command-Line Parameters box unchecked?image.png.e1d2f7b57e1fc478b1b542b4dfd2f5a2.pngLastly, have you ever had RetroArch setup as your MAME emulator?